PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Out of 20 some-odd pipes I have not a Bulldog one.
Uncle Arthur, being stupid and having always thought bulldogs were from the 1960's, I have two questions;
(1)Are you pulling my leg?
(2)Do you mean turn of the century as in 1899-1900 or 1999-2000?
Seriously.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I mean the late 1800's and early 1900's I will see if I can get a picture to post photobucket has been giving me fits lately.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Thanks,....seeing as how that's the case I just have to add one or ten to my collection!
Awesome! :)

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
I smoke all of my tobaccos in bulldogs and in all other shapes as well. I guess I never really tried to see which blends are better in which pipes. Should I?

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
Just got a Peterson Aran 150, and even though its not broken in yet it is by far the best smoking pipe that I own. I have a Stanwell Vario 56, a Mr. Paul Canadian, a Peterson Pot Meerschaum, a Kirsten and a Peterson Standard System 31 all of which smoke great especially the System 31 but I can already say that this bulldog is the best and I've only smoked it about 6 times. I'm up to half bowls in it and it really sings, just waiting for the cake to build so the flavour from the precarb goes. This one smoked amazingly straight out of the gate.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
C1F08B53-96F0-49FE-A4BE-D6243B8FC28D-20148-00002B4F5EC46955_zps23c21a60.jpg
smokeing My Evil Bulldog.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I find that the large flat bowl of my bulldogs is great for smoking Virginias. Pots are also another shape for Virginias.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Diamond shanked Bulldogs & round shanked Rhodesians, and hybrids called Rhodogs, all make use of a thinkened chamber wall at mid-bowl. Some go higher, a few lower. Thick walled pipes generally smoke cooler than thin walled pipes. But thick walls add weight. The bulldog concept ballances this dilemma by placing the thick wall precisely where its needed at the equator. The rings are a nod to the engineering principle of radiator cooling. The whole package is a brilliant concept of a self-cooling little furnace.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
My first non-basket pipe was a Peterson 80s bent Shannon. It's a bulldog. It went with me to Afghanistan for seven months and made it out unscathed. I smoked so many tins of Conniseours Choice through that pipe that when I got home I couldn't even run a pipe cleaner through it. This was before I knew anything about resting, deep cleaning, and reaming. I learned to be a pipe smoker with that pipe. With all the ups and downs of learning to smoke a pipe it is a champ.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like the shape too...

Sasieni
DSCN0462.jpg

Ben Wade Ovation
DSCN0440.jpg

GBD New Era
DSCN0459.jpg

Pete
DSCN0460.jpg

Jirsa
DSCN0461.jpg

Julius Vesz
DSCN0458.jpg

GBD Popluar
GBDPop1.jpg

Invicta
DSCN0531.jpg

Sav Pisa
Sav_Pisa_623.jpg

Beo
Beo1.jpg

Stannie Colonial
Stanwell.jpg

Jobey Asti
JobeyAstibulldog.jpg

Sav Horoscope
SavinelliHoroscope_zpsa93a237a.jpg

GBD Natural
GBDNatural2_zps8ae701a1.jpg

Rattray
RattrayNewRight.jpg

B-C D'Accord
ButzNewRight.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Cortez - now you have me drooling. I am falling in love with that shape/stye. I only own 17 pipes but 3 are bulldogs and I have a feeling I will be adding more to the mix

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like some of the smaller cut Virginia blends in my smaller Peterson Around the World bulldog

which is their commemorative pipe for Ireland in the series. I have a Johs partially rusticated

bulldog from Johs, not quite as ample bowled as Lawrence's, but a nice medium sized pipe.

I also have a Peterson Killarney Rhodesian I do enjoy. I think it depends on the size bowl, to

a degree. Larger bowls will take larger cuts, without over-packing. I am surprised by how long

a small bowl will smoke if its packed just right with appropriately finer cut tobacco. But I feel

a big bowl bulldog or Rhodesian will take any leaf any other big bowl will.

Status
Not open for further replies.