PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, yard work can wait. I'm a big GBD fan, of the pre-Cadogan era (metal rondell, "London,England" stamping). I love the GBD 9438 shape. They are getting pricey on Ebay, but occasionally some deals are listed. I don't have a bad smoking GBD and one is almost always in my daily rotation.
A treasured gift from member Weezil, a 9676, Colussus "Seventy-Six" model (oversized 9438). Mike G had a 9676 Colossus Virgin listed a few weeks ago, but that is the only similar model that I have encountered.

My 9438 Collection:
Virgin

New Standard

Century

Jameson

Colussus Oom-Paul, also a gift from Weezil

My 9242's

New Standard

Sandblast

1937 R9239 (father of the 9242?)

Others
28D Virgin

1939 R9118

Others, as of 6/30/19
549 Virgin

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK, I'll play. Here are mine. There is a Dr. Plumb ( Peterson Knock-off looking thing) and a City De Luxe Canadian- which smokes better than the GBD cousin.

Reactions: dcon

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That City DeLuxe stem logo is a nice piece, I'm always on the look out for a pipe, but haven't yet found the right one. You should let me restore that stem! (I'll be at the Pipe Guild meeting at CI on the 15th...)

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Nice Al!
Here is my French made GBD Speciale Standard. It's a great smoker. I love the stem.
C5F22446-183B-42A4-BD93-C46834395BDA-4057-000003BFCDC20EF1_zps653fbc6a.jpg

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I love old GBDS. They are the only older pipes I can say I have a collection of, and that's for a reason. They usually smoke great.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thanks for the kind offer, Al. I got the City De Luxe in a group of 5 pipes from the Goodwill site. The 5 pipes cost a total of about $12.00. The other 4 are low quality beaters but the City De Luxe made it worthwhile.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Keep 'em coming guys!
Smokeybear: wow, a Collector grade pipe for your first GBD, a fine choice!
Some very nice (Virgin, etc) GBD's have been selling quite reasonably.I have another
I have a Seventy-Six bulldog I just finished and will have to post later this evening.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Smokeybear & all. GBD had three lines to denote oversized pipes, they were:

- Colossus

- Collector

- Conquest
GBD grades, in descending order were rumoured to be:
Pedigree

Pedigree I

Pedigree II

Straight Grain

Prodigy

Bronze Velvet

Virgin

Varichrome

Prestige

Jubilee

New Era

Prehistoric

International

Universe

Speciale Standard

Ebony

Tapestry

New Standard

Granitan

Sauvage
I found this information on Jerry Hannah's GBD page, but he hasn't updated it much since the early 2000's. Jerry was is a great guy who shared a good bit of his GBD knowledge and catalogs with me, but no longer has the time to update his site. Unfortunately, most GBD information is anecdotal as there really aren't any GBD records, etc. to reference. Catalogs were a big source of the information on Jerry's website. A few GBD collectos were rumoured to be writing a GBD book, but so far, that hasn't materialized. (the late Bill Unger was one GBD expert)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here is my latest project, a Shape 584 tall bulldog in Seventy-Six finish. This one was in very rough shape and required a lot more work than I thought when I made the $15 investment. This one is enroute to New Orleans as a gift to my future son-in-law. I have a restoration write-up on it in the works.