PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love the Canadian Club and I don't recall ever seeing another. Shape 2006 is indeed a straight bulldog on the GBD chart. I had it in a Seventy-Six finish. Sold before I learned to love straight Bulldogs.....

Pipephil has the Canadian Club as a Comoys 2nd, but the shape they show (#253) is not a Comoys shape number. The 2006 you have is definitely GBD made. I can't find any other information on the Canadian Club brand, what an an interesting find!
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-c2.html

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks for shedding some light on the Canadian Club question. Yes, the Pipephil information was confusing. That's why I thought the box and pipe were mismatched. But then there was the "London Made" thing that pointed me back to GBD.
The Cadogan connection between Comoy's and GBD further muddies things. It's frustrating for me as a beginning collector to not have definitive information on my pipes but ultimately (I suppose) it's not that important. I can appreciate the Digby on its own merits.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Tuold, you may have been the only bidder because I decided I didn't need another pipe with the 50 or so I have on my workbench to finish up. I saw this one as well but since the box and pipe didn't match I figured I would pass. 10 bucks is to much when I have lots of ten buck pipes I won like you. Im sure it will be a solid smoker.
I have a couple of Country Club pipes which are GDB's cast offs.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I tend to forget that others don't always share my enthusiasm. Anyway snagstangl, I appreciate you leaving a few of the dregs behind for me :D

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Not dregs so much as when i have decent to good pipes, another one sometimes, only sometimes, doesnt draw me in. not because it is not worth it, but only to me for the 10 seconds i look at and manage to tell myself "oh you don't need that, you already have X number like that" it doesn't always work :(

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not a pipe, but GBD tobacciana. These store signs pop up every once in a while and until last week, I whiffed on everyone. This one was delivered the day after Christmas, and much to my wife's dismay, is on top of my living room pipe cabinet....

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Here are mine:
GBD1.JPG

(left to right)

790 Baronet. It may have had a close encounter with a belt sander (It's shorter than the 790 on the other end) but it smokes well

1599 London Made. The bowl is a little taller than I like, but it too smokes very well

1970 Americana. My first GBD, the best smoking pipe I own, and the reason I own more than one GBD

790 Sable. Teaching me to appreciate acrylic stems
And the "almost" GBDs
GBD2.JPG

Wimboldon 810. Nothing feels nicer in hand than an Author.

Clubhouse 9436 I'm not a great fan of straight pipes, but this one's good.

Cockney 9456 I haven't seen Cockney listed as a GBD sub-brand, but it smokes just like one and the number matches the GBD shape--so I'll continue to think it is.
All are e-bay purchases in the $10-$15 range. But I swear I'm done buying pipes. (Well if a better 1970 came up . . or maybe a perplex stem. . .or. . .)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@emtpiper: I've never seen a Country Club in the flesh, nice!
@Daniel: That Tapestry is a beauty, although restoring those chair-leg stems gives me nightmares!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ssjones,

Your pipe cabinet is great. Nice setup! Did you make the pipe racks? If not, those are a perfect fit.

And you're right, the Tapestry stem was nightmare to clean up.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@daniel: I've posted about those racks in various threads. They are "Fairfax" older estate units. They pop up pretty frequently on Ebay at around $20 (or Etsy). Three across fits perfectly. I cut out the o-stem shape into a U-shape, so they fits most bigger/bent pipes. The jumbo type pipes go in their own stands. I also collect Scottie shaped single stands, most are on that top shelf.