PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
here are some pictures of a new Graco Safari that i just got in the mail

i have questions about it because this is the first pipe i have purchased other than my no name cheapo from the local store
1 - when i look in the bowl i see shiny places and i see dull places that look like dust or ash but it does not wipe off
2 - when i look into the shank i see the bore hole to the bowl is completely off center
3 - when i try to push a regular small diameter pipe cleaner through the stem it will not go through from either end - the hole looks so small that it seems that it would be quite hard to draw through to me
i think i could live with everything but problem 3 - maybe that is because i don't know what is good and what is bad
please look at these pictures and tell me what you think - would you pay $ 75 for this ?

thank you
bowl01

bowl01.jpg

bowl02

bowl02.jpg

stem01

stem01.jpg

stem02

stem02.jpg

stem03

stem03.jpg

shank01

shank01.jpg

shank02

shank02.jpg

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
No pictures are loading for me.
But back to your issues, the first one won't matter because your cake will cover it all up, for me the drilling is very important and off centre drilling is a deal breaker, lastly if it can't pass a cleaner send it back.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
thanks for the advice - i have the pictures on my personal server and it uses a different port number - so that is probably why
i will upload them to a different server and change the links
Pics loaded for me & no I wouldn't keep it
thanks for the advice that is what i figured - no wonder customer service said ' well how do you like that ' as she was about to hang up the phone after talking to me about the pipe - at first she didn't even know what a Graco is - then she had a hard time understanding what i meant when i said the bore to the bowl from the shank is off center etc ...

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I wouldn't keep it either. Even if you have to pay a small fee for shipping, it's not what I would be happy with personally.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
$75 seems a bit much to pay for this pipe. I think your gut feelings are good ones; #1 is not a big deal, but #2 and #3 are. For about the same amount of money you could get a much better pipe, like Peterson, Brebbia, Parker, Savinelli, Stanwell, Boswell, Bjarne, etc.
My advice: return it.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
wow that was fast - thanks everyone

i sent them email with the pictures and asked for an RMA
i have an unfinished Savenelli Dublin coming in tomorrow from the same place
i sure hope it is in better condition

after i send this one back i think i will get a rhodesian like that
Dude let us spend your money for you.

one adam 12 one adam 12 - be advised - that is not a big 10 4 ( old cop tv show from the '70's )
hey - i am just getting started and i have to be careful because it will probably be years before i get another one

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
On #3, are you certain it doesn't have a filter in it that is blocking the cleaner? Stranger things have happened.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
So you're thinking of getting a Savinelli, a Graco and a Brigham. Personally, instead of having 3 mediocre pipes, I'd rather have one GREAT pipe.
For about the same money you'd pay for those three, you could get a hand made pipe from guys like Simeon Turner, Eric Heberling (EJH pipes), Mark Balkovec, Andrew Peterson (Quad City Pipes), Jimmy Craig (Ashton), the list goes on and on.
Just something to think about.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
bigvan wrote

So you're thinking of getting a Savinelli, a Graco and a Brigham. Personally, instead of having 3 mediocre pipes, I'd rather have one GREAT pipe.
if i were as smart as you i wouldn't even be asking

now you know why i won't spend that much on a good pipe because i don't know what a good pipe is yet
looks like adam12 had a good suggestion -

maybe i should let you spend my money

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
The drill hole on the shank is ok as it is a fully bent pipe. Its probably at an angle so it hits the bowl. The stuff in the bowl is no worry. Concerning the stem if a regular pipe cleaner won't fit get rid of it. If its a bent stem it may be that the hole was drilled and then bent after heating. Pinching the hole.
From my experience always check the cleaner on a new pipe. With you being a newby I would have suggested a strait pipe. You want to get familiar with cleaning a pipe before smoking it so you don't get frustraited.

edlogic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2012
jacksonville florida
Brewshooter wrote
On #3, are you certain it doesn't have a filter in it that is blocking the cleaner? Stranger things have happened.
yep i am sure - the cleaner will not even make it through the stem from either end even when it is removed from the pipe and it is a regular small pipe cleaner

it stops at about the bend in the stem - it is bent quite a lot

i will put a pic of the whole pipe at the end of this post
what about the bowl - they are selling this as new - doesn't that look like it has been smoked ?
i am used to my cheap pipe that is really really easy to draw through - almost no resistance - this thing is hard to draw through the stem when it is removed from the pipe
is that usual ?
entire pipe

pipe01.JPG

i am going to box it up and send it back

but not until after i get my other pipe tomorrow and see if it is ok
now to LUAB ( light up another bowl ) in my old pipe

is LUAB a new one i made up or has it been already used ?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
No, that's not usual.
It's a cheaply made pipe with a cheaply made stem. I'd get rid of it.

Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, save that $75 and put it toward a nice hand-made as suggested by one of the masters like Hackert, Balkovec, Boswell or Tinsky, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.