PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
A question for those who sell/own/collect higher end pipes. If you where to know in advance that the resale value of your pipes would be worthless in a years time, would you: sell them all now or keep hold of them untill they are worthless (in terms of $ value)?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Not my mentality when buying pipes. I'm a consumer not a collector so I buy pipes that make me happy. Could be monetarily worth squat the day after I buy it but it's worth a lot of happiness to me.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'm with Ohin on this. If I like it, I keep it. If I don't, I sell it, trade it or even have given some away.
If you're into pipes to buy, collect, sell and make money, Buzkirk's right.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
The OP posed a financial question, same would go for silver, guns any collectable.
Sell HIGH, buy Low !
Tom

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I agree I buy my pipes for use, Icould care less what they're worth to someone else, they definitely aren't part of my retirement plan.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have figured out how to make a functional ugly pipe. Sure, if prices went up enough, I would sell my pipes. I could either make another ugly pipe, or I would have enough $ to pay someone to make me a decent one.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I have collected various things for probably 45 years. Market psychology applies here probably more than the Stock Market. If they are not great smokers, strike while the iron is hot. If they are great smokers, you'll kick yourself for the rest of your life. Now, I haven't collected pipes long enough to know what might be guaranteed to go up, or even double or triple in value, but I will share an old trick for those who might not have considered it. If you KNOW am item will double or triple in value, and you definitely want to keep one for years, buy at least 2. When it doubles, or even triples in value, sell one. Now you have one that was essentially free!

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I've bought more than a few expensive pipes ($500 +) over the years, and have yet to sell one of 'em. I have 70, and they make me happy. Could care less what their resale value is.

Status
Not open for further replies.