PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Schrier mentions this in his book, "Confessions of a Pipeman". He advocates buy the pipes you enjoy and smoke them, and not to look at them as an investment. If you decide to smoke a little used pipe and get half back from your original purchase, consider yourself lucky. That sounds about right to me.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Although they would not qualify as true high end ($$) pipes, I certainly was aware that my Ashton collection would likely maintain very healthy resale values if & when my tastes changed. I purchased them due to the smoking quality, the legacy and the beauty. The small spread in new purchase price to what they were realizing on the estate market at the time, just meant that my pipe purchasing dollars had "legs". I built my collection through the late 90's to mid 2000's, and when I sold the majority of them, I was very pleased with the return.

superbob

Lurker
Mar 26, 2011
Victoria, Canada
It will soon be discovered that Dunhills have actually been made in China for the last 75 years! :twisted:
Nah. I can't answer because I smoke all my pipes.

Jul 15, 2011
I think the most that I have ever paid for a pipe was $40 for my brand new Wellington. I am not big on buying high end pipes because I believe that after a certain dollar amount, you are just paying for asthetics. My pipes are instruments for smoking tobacco, not collectors pieces that I hope to profit from. I like my pipes and like smoking them and dont think I could ever bring myself to get rid of them.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I personally am in both boats...Sort of....I have recently started to buy estate pipes that I like and restore them and if I don't fall in love with them in the first bowl I put them in the sell rack...Is this weird?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
In my opinion, there’s a HUGE difference between “functional” and “well made”. In a well made pipe, the bowl and draft chamber are properly drilled, the walls are of sufficient thickness, the mortise depth is almost EXACTLY the same as the length of the tenon, the briar has been sufficiently aged and cured, the bit is thin, comfortable and of quality material, etc. All of this takes more time, skill and material than what’s available at the lower end. And that doesn’t even take into account the artistry of a carver.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I agree Bigvan unfortunately I have yet to smoke a "high-end" pipe so I don't really have room to talk although my OTC estates are fine for now

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
....I have recently started to buy estate pipes that I like and restore them and if I don't fall in love with them in the first bowl I put them in the sell rack...Is this weird?
I run along the same lines as this nightmarejones, I give them more than one smoke though! usually, after about 6 smokes if they are consistently difficult/unenjoyable - off they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.