PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I had vague memories of reading a good review of this Seattle Clubs Mississippi River. It's very on sale at Pipesancigars, $23 for an 8oz tin so I ordered a few. As is often the case, packing was not done well leaving one seal broken. So far as the tobacco goes, my "review", is as follows. My all time favorite tobacco was an 8oz bag of 2001 Penzance, gifted to me by a prince among men. I don't buy into the reviews I read. Way too many words that don't really tell me anything I can use. I'd rather know what the reviewer likes and doesn't like and where the currently reviewed tobacco falls into their world. I don't have enough experience for my opinions to carry much weight so keep that in mind. I've yet to taste any blend I don't like, but I shy away from aeromatics, although I gave them a good try. I bought 4 8oz tines of this Mississippi Blend. I'm VERY glad I did so as I get the feeling that with some age this will be, in my eyes anyways, a truly epic smoke. When I first tasted that Penzance, I used a word I never thought I'd use or even understand when describing smoke, a texture. It is so silky and smooth, true honest to god texture. I never would've thunk it. I didn't love the taste at first, but after a few minutes the aftertaste took over and was honestly one of the best things I've ever tasted, including old scotch, food, etc...

Opening this Mississippi River has a beautiful smell once the seal breaks. It's moisture level is perfect and crumbles at the slightest touch. Thus far it's beautiful! It's not as silky, flavorful, or distinct as Penzance, but it's a seriously tasty smoke that's cheap and available. It's in my top five list for tobaccos that are readily available. Really good stuff!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
'Tis, can't go too wrong with "The Big River". Nate have you tried Plum Pudding, also very good.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Dave, I was wondering about ordering that next. I'm very thankful to finally find an inexpensive tobacco I actually love.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
$29.99

I have some Deception Pass laid up. Have Mississippi River and Plum Pudding as well. They are all good by me.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I can have a satisfying dessert just opening the jar and smelling Miss. River. Smoking it is one of the most sublime experiences you'll have.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I absolutely love Plum Pudding and Mississippi River! I guess I will have to stock up now that the word is on the street about these blends!

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
How is the integrity of the 8oz tins? Do they lend themselves well to long term cellaring? I was thinking about picking several up in my next TAD, but thought I recalled people having issues. Are the tins the Sutliff-style paper cardboard?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Beezer, they're certainly not the best quality tin money can buy, but upon receiving check to make sure integrity is intact. You're in more danger of packing damage than cellaring. For the money it's well worth stocking up. For under $30/8oz it seriously is as good as it gets. Upon first smoke my first thought was holy crap this will age well. A few years in the tin and I'm guessing it'll be a truly epic smoke. It needs more melding of flavors, but even fresh it's really good. Likely the best $30 I've spend on tobacco. Can you tell I'm impressed? I'm surprised it's not more difficult to come by. Stock up!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'll be sure to order the plumb next time out! If I find it better I'll be a very happy camper. I need to find as many non-penzance/stonehaven tobaccos to love as possible.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That just goes to prove how individual tastes can differ as I personally feel that Plum Pudding pales in taste as compared to Mississippi River.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo iam
If you like MissRiv, you might want to check out the great RussO's Signature Blends. Larry's Blend might suit you just fine, and it is amazingly cheap in bulk: $39.84 for a pound.
hp

les

Mar 1, 2014
I'm in the Mississippi River camp. Plum Pudding was a bit plain compared to the best Latakia blends I've tried.

Mississippi River seemed like a solid flavourful VaPer with a hint of campfire.

Mar 1, 2014
Deception pass was good, not necessarily amazing or revolutionary, but good.

The flavour had a good sweet note and a little of something else, at least I like the base enough to recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.