PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

retox

Lurker
Dec 24, 2012
Hey guys I'm quite new to pipe smoking and have myself in a bit of a confusing situation. I recently purchased a Savinelli Saturnia estate pipe over eBay which is quite unique.
Link to eBay page:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350668917910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_6599wt_1009
As you can see it has a smooth finish unlike the normal range of Savinelli Saturnia pipes which are partially rustic and smooth. That being said it does have all the usual badge work and markings on the stem and pipe body. I was hoping some of you more experienced and educated pipe smokers would be able to shed some light on the reason why this Saturnia differs from their usual range of pipes. Thanks in advance!

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Welcome to PipesMagazine, retox. You got me on this one, I couldn't find any pics of a full smooth Savinelli Saturnia, apart from that one. It is a real good looking pipe though.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Welcome to the forum retox, It seems to be very nice pipe. As per of my experience about Savinelli they used to make unusual pipes in their series of very limited quantities. I think yours might be one of them. You may refer to my old post about Savinelli Partner DeLuxe, it is also very rare pipe that was produced in limited quantity and has strange charctristics over Partner series. You can contact Savinelli as well and send them some photos and sure they will be back to you with all information.
Estate Savinelli Partner de Luxe with stem extension
Edit: Fixed the link, L.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
No way is that pipe resanded. If you rusticate a pipe, you take quite a bit of material off - to smooth it out would render it much smaller anywhere it was rusticated. The lines of the pipe are correct (it's a 626 model), it hasn't been re-worked.
Obviously a European-market pipe, as it sports the 9mm opening in the stem rather than the fitment for the Balsa 6mm we see on this side of the pond.
At a guess: The rings cut into the bowl make it a Saturnia - the 626 ordinarily doesn't get this treatment.

retox

Lurker
Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies and warm welcomes guys! :) Your opinions whilst uncertain have at least made me less worried about purchasing a fake. I have taken hanymamdouh's advice and emailed Savinelli directly with pictures provided and will let you guys know if any enlightening comes up! Hope you all had a splendid christmas :D

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
You are most welcome Retox, hope you can find info you are looking for. BTW you may contact Mr. Giovanni Casale directly through g.casale@savinelli.it, he will take care of your request. Let us know the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.