PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I traded some Frogs for some 3 yr old Doblone D'oro. I opened one of the tins and found this mashup. I expected coins. Is this how each tin comes?

2018-04-18-17-01-18-559x600.jpg

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Yes it is nasty, nasty, nasty. However, you are in luck; I am one of the few who can dispose of that nasty stuff. PM sent with contact info, etc. Glad to be of help in this matter, aquadoc!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Ah, self-sacrifice to save the community from the horrors of delicious tobacco.
Well done lads.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^Yep^^, those coins aren't perfect, go ahead and send that to me asap.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I bought 4 tins of Doblone D'oro in early March.

Unfortunately, I put them away so I won't be able to report just how bad it is until 2021.

Oct 7, 2016
One of those unusual tobaccos that actually get worse with age. A tin just a few years older than that (I think the ones I have are 2013) will have almost zero intact coins. Imagine what will happen in a few more years. Dust bunnies?
The only reason I have kmore than 1 tin is that Cup o Jies had a sale on Super Bowl Sunday a few years ago, and I simply wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. The tins that came a month or so ago from Iwan Ries must have been a mistake on their part.
That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have similar problems with the Brunello in the Savinelli lineup as well. Every time I check my drawer, there's more tins. Weirdest thing.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Well, I am amazed by the generous folks willing to take this tobacco off my hands. Your thoughts are appreciated. But, last night I risked smoking a bowl and I have to say it was sublime. I had a snoot full of Pompadour nasal snuff and the 2 work rather well, sending me into a nice nicotine zone. Thanks for the advice and for your concern.
I have recently converted Frog stew to Escudo and Dunhill Navy Rolls and expected similar coins. In any case, they are all three worthy smokes.

Oct 7, 2016
@aquadoc, seriously it does seem that the coins kind of disintegrate with time. Every time I am within $20 or so of getting free shipping, I toss a tin in the cart if it is in stock. Too often, it isn't.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just ordered some Brunello to try out, based on a description of the flavor from a source I trust. If the flavor is as described it's going to be a great replacement for the recently gone and much loved...
Oh, hell, I'm not telling any of you until I've smoked it, verified it is what it is, and have cellared a pile of it.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
What is the consensus on long-term storage of Doblone d'Oro? Any experience on how the moisture will hold up over "years" in the cellar?
I started cellaring this about a year ago. Last night I opened one of those tins and the moisture was Goldilocks straight out of tin, no drying time needed (that is common for the blend anyway). But I'm worried in 10 years it will become too dry. I would love to avoid jarring up my stash, thats a lot of glass. Yet, I'm leaning heavily toward jarring it all up now.
Thoughts? Discussion?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Tobacco is an organic substance that degrades, the effects of which we call aging but could call fermentation. Fermentation stops without moisture, but how little brings it down or eliminates it, I don't know. The tobacco comes dry but not bone-dry. Were I to age it I would bring the moisture level up a few notches and then jar.
Mayhap there is sufficient moisture just as it comes to sustain fermentation. Pease might know the answer.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What is the consensus on long-term storage of Doblone d'Oro? Any experience on how the moisture will hold up over "years" in the cellar?
I started cellaring this about a year ago. Last night I opened one of those tins and the moisture was Goldilocks straight out of tin, no drying time needed (that is common for the blend anyway). But I'm worried in 10 years it will become too dry. I would love to avoid jarring up my stash, thats a lot of glass. Yet, I'm leaning heavily toward jarring it all up now.
Thoughts? Discussion?
Flat friction seal tins aren't a guaranteed method for long term storage. Some may hold their seal and some may not. They're not intended for long term storage, just "long enough". You can seal your tins in heat sealed food storage bags, but I'm not sure how long those hold up. Since Doblone D'Oro is packed in round friction tins, you may have better luck. Glass is still your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.