Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

RIP Ashton's Artisan Blend

(41 posts)
  1. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

Morning,

With all the talk about Syrian running out and the clamor of folks to get their last order of their favorite McClelland blends in I took a close look at other "prefer to not smoke without blends" in my cellar and zeroed in on Ashton's Artisan Blend. This is one that flew under the radar in my mind and that was underrepresented in my cellar. Over the past two years I'd periodically remind myself to order more only to have my shopping list of other blends crowd it out, so thus the number of tins in my cellar of this have been considerably fewer than it should have been. Well I took care of that this morning.

I've noticed the price spike of other blends over the years and it continues to amaze me that this blend can be found for under $9.00. Such a good price for such a good tobacco.

At any rate...if there are other lovers of this blend out there I suggest you budget an order in to get your last fill. While others are rightfully filling their coffers with 3 Oaks and other awesome McClelland blends, this one perhaps is being overlooked.

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shhhhhhh

True. It's in my top 5 these days. Great tobacco.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to the Dutch Pipe Smoker, Ashton's blender (Planta, iirc) ran out of Syrian years ago. What's available now could be remaining stock, but given the blends popularity, I'd suspect what's on the shelves now doesn't contain the real stuff. If that's the case, then we'll have AAB for a while.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. pipebeast

pipebeast

Login to Send PM

That's interesting, it's still advertised as containing Syrian on most websites.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

If the blend no longer contains any Syrian within it you wouldn't know it from the label affixed to the tin. I would think if the ingredients have been modified so to would the label used to describe it. While I imagine some blenders might retain the old description with the reference to Syrian knowingly, I would not think a highly respected brand like Ashton would do so. Interesting though.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. stickframer

stickframer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pure speculation here. Maybe they put one shred of syrian in with the other stuff. That way they can say it contains Syrian.

Either way, vile stuff, that Artisan's blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to GL Pease, there are numerous blenders still claiming Syrian on their labels but what's inside (IHO) clearly isn't. I'm not trying to knock the blend, thepipetool.com tells me i have a few pounds downstairs, I'm just speculating it may not be six feet under just yet

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sho am good stuff! It's best to keep things like this hush hush or else all the lurkers make a run for the stuff and the rest of us can't get any.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought Kohlhase & Kopp blended Artisans blend and that they were one of the two companies including Mac Baren that still had Syrian? No?

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

I thought Kohlhase & Kopp blended Artisans blend and that they were one of the two companies including Mac Baren that still had Syrian? No?

According to tobaccoreviews.com, Kohlhase & Kopp are in fact the blenders.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. pipeman84

pipeman84

Login to Send PM

It doesn't specify on the website that it's Syrian Latakia...
    http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/ashton/artisan-s-blend-693.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I emailed K+K and Ashton. I need to know. Regardless, I like the blend... but if it is going to go away, I'd like to have some extra tins in the cellar -

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

It doesn't specify on the website that it's Syrian Latakia...
    http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/ashton/artisan-s-blend-693.html

Though the label on the tin that is displayed says Syrian

Well, I emailed K+K and Ashton. I need to know. Regardless, I like the blend... but if it is going to go away, I'd like to have some extra tins in the cellar -

Good idea. Thanks for taking the initiative. I too like the blend regardless, but now I'm curious.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This will be interesting to hear more on. I am working through a tin right now, very underrated blend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://www.google.com&s/dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/syrian-latakia&;

See the 2013 edit at the bottom

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

[https://www.google.com&s/dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/syrian-latakia&;

See the 2013 edit at the bottom]

The link does not work

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This LINK works, hope it's the exact one he tried to post.....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's the link.

Sorry. iPhones ain't so good at cut-and-paste!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lasttango please post should Ashton responds to your email. Artisan's Blend is a personal all time favorite ...

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No word yet. I also PM'd Arno, the author of the awesome Syrian blog. Surely there are very knowledgable people in our community with well developed palates?

I smoked a couple different Syrian blends and some Artisans blend and detected what I thought were unique similarities. There would be some unique similarities even if Artisans didn't have it. My palate is not so discerning.

I'll still smoke it if it doesn't, I just will stop hoarding it - and probably sell off 10-15 tins of it cheap to reinvest in something with Syrian.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Syrian dust! The reset is Cypriot and Black Cavendish.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

According to the Dutch Pipe Smoker, Ashton's blender (Planta, iirc) ran out of Syrian years ago. What's available now could be remaining stock, but given the blends popularity, I'd suspect what's on the shelves now doesn't contain the real stuff. If that's the case, then we'll have AAB for a while.

Ashton's Artisans Blend is made by Kohlhase & Kopp and they no longer have Syrian latakia. Although they claim otherwise. A couple of years ago they said they no longer had Syrian and now for some blends they suddenly claim they have it! Also what stands on the label is sometimes different than the description on the site. Strange.. So, no... K&K is not a company like McClelland or Cornell & Diehl that honestly and openly says they no longer have Syrian latakia. As long as they think they can sell by saying they have Syrian they will do it.. The only company of which I am 100% certain that they still have the genuine Syrian now is MacBaren.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Presumably the same applies to Solani white and black?

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...and McConnells Oriental.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So basically all the blends I enjoy the most.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys ... I think it's no joke with this whole situation. I went down to resupply on a few blends, and I bought the very last tin of Artisan's Blend. The lady at the store said she doesn't know when she will get some more, and that she didn't receive any in a while now. I wanted to stock up, and there was nothing left to stock on ... man ...

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

madox07 - not sure where you live, but SmokingPipes has 101 tins in stock at the moment. If you're able to place an online order that may be your best course of action.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[b]beezer[b] I live in Romania, not sure how things would work with this whole new EU Regulations, but it's worth giving it a shot, thanks for the tip!

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I hope this isn't true. I really like this blend. Hard to find up here, but picked up a couple tins when I went through Chicago. I smoked one, fell in love, the other tin has been sitting in the cellar for 11 months or so.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

akfilm that will be a grand smoke. I have opened the one I bought yesterday. Some way or another I will get some more, I have called the tobacco shop hq and they have some tins left at the warehouse, they probably have some age to it too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A couple of years ago they said they no longer had Syrian and now for some blends they suddenly claim they have it!

I've heard that Cyprian latakia magically turns into Syrian latakia after it sits for 10 years? I think it works a little like Acadian perique and St. James Parish perique?

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm ... even the one I have bought recently has Syrian LAtakia written on the label .. I tend to believe that ashton is a respectable enough company not to mess around with such things .. I have to admit, come to think of it, the tin I bought was a batch from a few years ago, according to the lot number.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

I tend to believe that ashton is a respectable enough company not to mess around with such things ..

There is no Ashton tobacco company. It is just a brand name from Kohlhase & Kopp.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm ... you don't say. Are they the same guys that make the ashton cigars as well?

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, K+K finally got back to me... I asked them if they used Syrian Latakia in the Artisans blend. Here is their response:

Dear Geoff,

Sorry for being late in answering!

In the past the Latakia originated indeed from Syria. Since many years this is not the case anymore. Latakia tobacco nowadays is predominately from Cyprus. To our knowledge there is no company getting Latakia from Syria anymore.

With best regards from Germany,

Your Kohlhase & Kopp Team

*worth noting*

They did not address that the label claims to have Syrian.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone needs to be brave and order a tin of tobacco from Argentina to see if their claims of having Syrian Lat in their blends can survive a taste test.

They claim to have Syrian Lat in almost all their English blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you for that update, lasttango. I would love to know when they started substituting in Cyprian.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

Well this is potentially the best piece of news I've heard all week!

One of my favorites will be around for a while and at under $9 a tin to boot!! Alright!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. zerohunter

zerohunter

Login to Send PM

Cyprian or Syrian, the blend is one of my favorites. I'm secretly hoping it's been Cyprian all along so it won't disappear. At least, until the FDA.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. simba

simba

Login to Send PM

wow.... i've just missed dunhill 965 coz dunhill has announced they won't produce all pipe tobacco anymore since late jan 2017.

now, my other fav, ashton artisan's blend is gonna RIP
    but honestly speaking, i'm just a pipe smoker. i don't even know which latakia of ashton artisan's blend.
    all i know, i enjoy this blend alot. for only less than $30, i can get 200gr of this blend. that's all i need for my monthly need. 1 month 200gr is enough. i will live my life in peace

if KK is using cyprian latakia, that even sounds great for me. it means i've been falling in love with this blend when it already use cyprian latakia. i've been smoking this blend for 2 yrs. assuming KK has no syrian latakia since 2-3 yrs ago, that's still fine for me.
    so this blend will last longer and i don't have to worry this blend will be vanished anytime soon :p
    it'e enough for me for loosing 1 fav blend. watching my last 600 gr of dunhill 965 in my stash is really hurt. i used to smoke 965 and ashton artisan. and now, i will smoke 965 in really special occasion only which... i didn't smoke it yet. as for my daily now, i rely on ashton artisan's blend and sometime swing to mcc lelland 925 just for a switch.

my sincere prays would be:
    *if my life would be another 60 yrs, then i'm expecting this blend will last for at least another 70yrs :lol
    *may cyprian live in peace for at least another 70yrs
    *in worst scenario, may god show mercy by helping china to produce any good latakia :lol *desperate mode: ON

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wow.... i've just missed dunhill 965 coz dunhill has announced they won't produce all pipe tobacco anymore since late jan 2017.

I have a hard time believing that someone won't buy the Dunhill tobacco name. I realize the BAT no longer wants it. It seems as though the new regs and the hassle aren't worth it to them, being the pipe tobacco is a small part of their holdings. However someone is going to want to buy the name, and recipes.

The upside is that STG makes the blends for them. I would figure that if the name truly does die, STG will magically have a whole new line of 'Orlik' tobaccos.

Also, there was a thread a few weeks back that someone said they were in the London Dunhill shop and the shop worker wanted to say some things that sounded like buy outs, but couldn't talk about it, so who knows.

I too love MM965, it's my favorite pipe tobacco. If it goes away, Peterson's Old Dublin is close enough to keep me happy.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred, chasingembers, leafsmoker