PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Morning,
With all the talk about Syrian running out and the clamor of folks to get their last order of their favorite McClelland blends in I took a close look at other "prefer to not smoke without blends" in my cellar and zeroed in on Ashton's Artisan Blend. This is one that flew under the radar in my mind and that was underrepresented in my cellar. Over the past two years I'd periodically remind myself to order more only to have my shopping list of other blends crowd it out, so thus the number of tins in my cellar of this have been considerably fewer than it should have been. Well I took care of that this morning.
I've noticed the price spike of other blends over the years and it continues to amaze me that this blend can be found for under $9.00. Such a good price for such a good tobacco.
At any rate...if there are other lovers of this blend out there I suggest you budget an order in to get your last fill. While others are rightfully filling their coffers with 3 Oaks and other awesome McClelland blends, this one perhaps is being overlooked.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
According to the Dutch Pipe Smoker, Ashton's blender (Planta, iirc) ran out of Syrian years ago. What's available now could be remaining stock, but given the blends popularity, I'd suspect what's on the shelves now doesn't contain the real stuff. If that's the case, then we'll have AAB for a while.

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
That's interesting, it's still advertised as containing Syrian on most websites.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
If the blend no longer contains any Syrian within it you wouldn't know it from the label affixed to the tin. I would think if the ingredients have been modified so to would the label used to describe it. While I imagine some blenders might retain the old description with the reference to Syrian knowingly, I would not think a highly respected brand like Ashton would do so. Interesting though.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Pure speculation here. Maybe they put one shred of syrian in with the other stuff. That way they can say it contains Syrian.
Either way, vile stuff, that Artisan's blend. :puffy:

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
According to GL Pease, there are numerous blenders still claiming Syrian on their labels but what's inside (IHO) clearly isn't. I'm not trying to knock the blend, thepipetool.com tells me i have a few pounds downstairs, I'm just speculating it may not be six feet under just yet

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sho am good stuff! It's best to keep things like this hush hush or else all the lurkers make a run for the stuff and the rest of us can't get any.

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
It doesn't specify on the website that it's Syrian Latakia...

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/ashton/artisan-s-blend-693.html

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
It doesn't specify on the website that it's Syrian Latakia...

http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/ashton/artisan-s-blend-693.html
Though the label on the tin that is displayed says Syrian
Well, I emailed K+K and Ashton. I need to know. Regardless, I like the blend... but if it is going to go away, I'd like to have some extra tins in the cellar -
Good idea. Thanks for taking the initiative. I too like the blend regardless, but now I'm curious.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
This will be interesting to hear more on. I am working through a tin right now, very underrated blend.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
https://www.google.com&s/dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/syrian-latakia&
See the 2013 edit at the bottom

64alex

May 10, 2016
[https://www.google.com&s/dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/syrian-latakia&;
See the 2013 edit at the bottom]
The link does not work

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
lasttango please post should Ashton responds to your email. Artisan's Blend is a personal all time favorite ...

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
No word yet. I also PM'd Arno, the author of the awesome Syrian blog. Surely there are very knowledgable people in our community with well developed palates?
I smoked a couple different Syrian blends and some Artisans blend and detected what I thought were unique similarities. There would be some unique similarities even if Artisans didn't have it. My palate is not so discerning.
I'll still smoke it if it doesn't, I just will stop hoarding it - and probably sell off 10-15 tins of it cheap to reinvest in something with Syrian.

Status
Not open for further replies.