PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Hi!
Am about to start working on the pipe I picked up at an antique store and need to go shopping. Would greatly appreciate everyone's input on what I'm getting, sources, and if I'll be using it properly.
List

Grain Alcohol- local booze shop

Magic eraser- local Staples

Pipe cleaners (stiff & soft. Heheh)- local tobacco shop

Pipe tool- local pipe shop

Reaming tool- local pipe shop (or just have them do it on premise?)

Sanding Pads- Amazon (1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000)

Paragon wax- FinePipes.com
Stem first:

Magic eraser on exterior to remove chatter. (or should I use Bon Ami wi/ toothbrush on entire exterior as has been suggested?)

Everclear soak. (for how long?)

Pipe cleaner treatment.
Rest of it:

Ream

Rub bowl wi/ Everclear

re-assemble

Go over the whole thing with Paragon (It's OK to get that all on the bit and such?)
And fatal flaws? 8O
Thanks in advance!

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Welcome to the forums.

I know little on the subject but....

There is a ton of information on the forum about restoration. Also you can try rebornpipes.com. Tons of excellent information there too.
Have fun!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Magic Eraser will remove OXIDATION. Any tooth chatter or tooth marks need to be tackled with something a lot more abrasive than that.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
If you're going to clean the stems "a mano", get a set of airbrush cleaning brushes. While you'll be using soap or oxyclean combined with the Magic Eraser to get the stuff off the exterior of the stem, give a good brushing with those guys to the stem airway and slot. Much cheaper ( unless you have no access to running water ) than using booze/denatured/solvent and pipe cleaners if the stems are really clogged and nasty.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Great pipe btw, LHS went out of business in or around 1960. I have a cavalier type LHS called "The Bavarian". Very unique.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beer:
I tried Magic Erasers several times but they're annoying as hell. They disintegrate in a heartbeat.
Now, the following is heresy to some and gospel to others but I always soak my nasty-assed mouthpieces in a 50-50 bleach/water solution for three to four hours. At that point a hot water and soap wash is needed. Everclear drenched pipe cleaners are used to sanitize the airways and I then sand like a madman until I get the needed finish.
I only use the Halcyon II product from the Paragon maker - most of my burners are blasts with a few rustications. BTW, it is absolutely okay to get the Paragon on your bits. Keep polishing, hoss. It's another layer of protection.
Take pictures, okay? We'll all be cheering you along.
Fnord

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Started today with some shortcuts, er... "modifications" to my original plan.
Close-up of stem with chatter.

The bottom of the stem:

I rubbed the stem with Bon-Ami on a damp paper towel. I had a sinking feeling because it looked like crap afterwards. I then hit it with stiff-bristled pipe-cleaners until they (more-or-less) ran clean. Then soaked it for about an hour in 100 proof vodka. (The vodka came in a little flask and was $6. Everclear was in a 750mL bottle and cost $25. I figured I could always drink the rest of the vodka but there was no way I would drink the Everclear.) After all of that, it looked like hell:

Close-up of the bottom:

Remembering what someone said on another thread, I put a smudge of Burt's Bees lip gloss on it and gave it a test. Looked pretty promising to me!

I went over the whole stem with the Burt's Bees.

I don't think it's as shiny as it was when I first got it (the base of the stem anyway). Will sanding and paragon remedy this?
I also did a quick rub over the bowl with the vodka but it almost seemed like it was taking the finish off so I stopped. Also scrubbed the inside of the bowl a bit with vodka-moistened cottonball. Then did Burt's Bees to the outside of the bowl as well.
This is how it looks so far:

I don't think it's vastly improved from before but I am fairly confident I've got the cooties out of the bit.
Should I bother with the sanding pads at all or will the paragon take care of making the thing a bit shinier?
Thanks for the support!

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Cotton balls or kosher salt maybe? Either/or works... fill the bowl with salt or a cotton ball, put in the alcohol and let it evaporate over the course of a day or two. Pulls a lot of crud out of the bowl.
Reborn Pipes Salt Treatment

Reaming tool I got mine at 4Noggins pretty cheap.
Only been doing this a couple of months.. but I have about 35 pipes already, reamed, salt treated, stems being worked on etc. Your pipe looks nice, I doubt you'd need anything like dyes, glue, etc... for repairs, just clean-up.
Oh Oxiclean, really lifts the oxidation out of the stem and softens it up so sands off much easier (sand it when its fresh out of the oxi soak and still wet).
Reborn Pipes Stem Cleaning

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Beerzombie you should try these, after soaking stems in oxiclean. The micro mesh pads come in several styles and kits.
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Mesh-Pad-Variety-Pack-Asst/dp/B002XVDYC0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426263743&sr=8-4&keywords=micro+mesh+sanding+pads
http://www.amazon.com/Zona-37-948-Polishing-11-Inch-Assortment/dp/B001BHGC7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426263867&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+polishing+paper

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Thank you. I got the pads from the first link and wet-sanded it.
I had used Bon Ami before. Is an Oxi-Clean soak better? Should this stem be black? :?:
Took me about 1 1/2 pack of stiff-bristled pipe cleaners to get the stem clean. Used Q-Tips for the mortise after I read that a lot of nastiness resides in there. I actually didn't think the pipe stunk too bad when I got it but now, it's like night and day! Now it smells pleasantly tobbacco-ish rather than a tar pit! Ha!
I got a cheap reaming tool but it didn't seem to get the gunk out of the bowl the way I wanted so I used a pocket knife to gently shave off the deposits in there. Also gave the inside a good rubdown with vodka-soaked paper towel.
Received Paragon wax today and shined it up. It ooks nice and better than before but not as shiny as I was hoping. Will probably give it another coat tomorrow after I tackle the stem again.
Thanks for the advice. (Intermediate photos tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.