PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Hello, everyone!
Just started to get into pipes. I briefly mentioned this in my intro post but hope that this would be a better forum for myproblem.
I stumbled across this pipe at an antique store. It just felt really good in my hand so I had to have it! I new to all this but, after some preliminary poking around on the interwebs, I think I have some type of Rhodesian?
I am also looking for a new stem as this one looks kinda grimy (though I don't know if I should just work it over with an Exacto and give it a good bleach bath). I've been to a couple local smoke shops but no one seems to be able to ID this or give me an idea where to get a replacement stem. I think the fact that it screws in is the issue.
Can anyone help with more info or point me in the right direction? Thanks!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
LHS, check it here,
http://www.pipedia.org/wiki/LHS
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-lhs.html

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a really cool looking pipe you have there.

I can't help you with identifying it but I can tell you that you will find many threads here on the forum on restoring estate pipes. You should be able to clean, polish and sanitize that little beauty and have it looking like new with some basic supplies and a little elbow grease.
Good luck in your adventure. :puffy:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
beerzombie:
L&H Stern, the maker of your pipe, has been out of business for a LONG time, so you will not be able to purchase (at least readily) a replacement stem. Having said that there is no reason why, with the application of some elbow grease, yours should not clean up nicely. I recommend using Bon Ami cleanser applied to paper towel wetted with warm water to remove the exterior "gunk." You also might use a toothbrush and Bon Ami around the button, and on the tenon screw.
Next, I would purchase some Ream-n-Klean bristle pipe-cleaners, wet them with warm water, cover them with Bon Ami, and use them to scrub the stem's lumen. Keep at this until they come out clean. You might follow this with cleaners wetted with anti-bacterial soap or dish-washing liquid.
Once the entire stem has been cleaned you might soak it for a bit in Everclear 190-proof grain alcohol as a means of sanitizing it. Use caution when doing this as Everclear is HIGHLY flammable!
Next, purchase some micro-mesh sanding pads from a hobby- or woodworking-store, and begin to smooth and polish the stem's exterior. You will be pleasantly surprised at the transformation as your stem becomes shiny black as you work from the coarser to finer pads. Other Forum members can advise on which ones to choose.
Once it is clean and shiny, wax it with Carnauba.
I hope that these suggestions are helpful to you.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Please keep the Exacto on your workbench. I doubt you will be able to replace the stem but it should clean up fairly easily. Vulcanite takes on that "grimy" look naturally but it's fairly easy to restore. As jkrug said, there are plenty of tutorials on cleaning vulcanite stems. I'd start with a Oxiclean soak, rinse, then wet sand with very fine (800-->1500) sandpaper, and finally polish it.
Here's one thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/recommended-tools-for-stem-cleaningmaintenance
but there are several others.
That's going to be a beautiful pipe when you put half an hour's effort into sanding and polishing it.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
You guys... ROCK!

:worship: :worship:
My little pipe and I are indebted to you for your info and advice!
I'll search the forums for restoration info and will make a shopping list for supplies. Looking forward to learning much, much more and, uh... of course, smoking this thing! :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Beer:
Post another pix after the scrubbing and be sure to include a link to this thread. Resto efforts are always cheered on around here.
Welcome to forum, pal. You've already found out that it's a great place to learn.
Fnord

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Will do!
I think I feel a cold coming on. ((cough! cough!)) and I plan to pick up supplies tomorrow! ;)

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Huntertrw- what part do you mean by "button"? And, where would I find carnauba? I assuming you don't mean the car wax! :lol:

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
Lhs caboose to be exact. I have ran across a couple of these in the past. If you paid less than $40 for it, you did allright. Although its not what you spend, it if YOU like it.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Thank you.
I read that yesterday and was planning on buying the pads from a Michael's but alas, they don't seem to carry them. Then, right after I posted my last query, I simply googled "carnauba" (understanding that you surely couldn't mean the car wax) and found what I needed on Amazon.
My dad says, "Look with your eyes, not with your mouth." I should heed that advice more often! :oops:
Anyway, I'm an impatient kinda guy and was hoping to get all these things locally and get to polishing tomorrow but it seems I may need to order them from Amazon and plan on starting the project over the weekend. No matter. It'll give me time to read more of the restoration threads!
Thanks again!
PS:
Lhs caboose to be exact. I have ran across a couple of these in the past. If you paid less than $40 for it, you did allright. Although its not what you spend, it if YOU like it.
Twelve bucks! :mrgreen:

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
BTW, what's up with the screw-in tenon? What was the purpose of this?
The coupla pipes I had in college (drug store cheapies) just kinda "plugged in" and also had space where you could stick in a filter. I guess you can't do that with this pipe (not that I was going to, just wondering)?
Thanks!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is an awesome looking pipe and for $12!!!

What a great score.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you have it all polished up. :puffy:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Since you're new to pipe smoking someone should warn you. "One pipe is too many and fifty aren't enough!" Most of us here are hopelessly afflicted with this ailment. But welcome. By the way that's a classy pipe. When I see them advertised they are most often listed as a Bull Moose or a Bull Cap. The lower forward section of the bowl is much more prominent that is usual for the Rhodesian and the bow top above the grove(s) is much more shallow than the Rhodesian.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
"One pipe is too many and fifty aren't enough!"
Ha! I'm already getting an itch to cruise the antique stores for more estate pipes! But first, I'll rehab this one!
Thank you for the extra info. I particularly enjoy learning the history and possible provenance of a thing.
Can anyone tell me what the intended functionality of the screw-in stem is though?

Status
Not open for further replies.