PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Rule #6 addresses political posts. Wouldn't it be a lot more straightforward (and easier on the mods) if the rule simply stated "No political posts allowed"? The "...(unless they have to do with tobacco policies and legislation)." part should probably just be removed, because we all know what directions those posts are going to go in anyway, and it never seems to be good. Just a thought.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Unfortunately, political posts here have had a very destructive effect in the past, causing the loss of members and a lot of bad feeling that can take weeks to heal. It's disruptive and it eventually leads to banning of the participants, so why do this? That's why the rule was enacted.
But there's a way to discuss tobacco legislation that keeps to the topic and doesn't stray off into personal political manifestos and generalizing. Stick to the substance of the legislation and to an objective reporting of it rather than one's personal opinions and wider bias. Being kept informed on legislation can be useful. Political posturing isn't. Keep your ego out of it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Political posts are hard because you have two basic groups, one that wants equality/freedom and the other that wants social order. They want different societies and will clash and alienate each other.
I suggest an informal forum somewhere where people can bash out "pipes and politics" because a lot of people enjoy fighting it out.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Only MY opinions, life experiences, concerns and perspectives are valid.
The rest of you can go suck eggs! :nana:
Now we can lock this thread and get back to PAD, TAD, tongue bite and the battle of the cleaning techniques.
You're welcome, forum. Enjoy your day!
jay-roger.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suggest an informal forum somewhere where people can bash out "pipes and politics" because a lot of people enjoy fighting it out.
Well, there are private forums where that's allowed. And we tried that with a now defunct forum wherein we set up a political sub-forum that was visible to members who wanted to join, and otherwise inaccessible. This was set up to satisfy a desire by some members to have the freedom to enter into political discussion. It sort of became the intellectual equivalent of dwarf mud wresting, mixed with a dose of racism and misogyny.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In a world where nearly every aspect of human life and knowledge has been politicized, it tends to be difficult to discuss anything without “politics” entering into it.
Fortunately there will soon be a solution...you’ll be able to utilize an auto-reply robot to post for you:
Tired of texting? Google tests robot to chat with friends for you
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/14/google-tests-robot-chat-reply-friends

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It sort of became the intellectual equivalent of dwarf mud wresting
I'm pretty sure the term "dwarf" is politically/socially unacceptable these days.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Large doses of racism and misogyny!
A tobacco legislation thread can start very well but, will usually up in flames, upside down by the tracks. Some members are incapable of sticking to discussing and can only resort to name calling and denigrating other views rather than taking the other side's position apart point by point in a civil and cogent manner. They simply do not know how to argue a point nor will they recognize and acknowledge any valid point if there is basic disagreement with their chosen position.
It is simply the nature of public, unmoderated debate. In a battle of wits ... some are simply, unarmed.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I agree with aldecaker. One political stance we all agree on, put in the most minimalist terms, is that we don't want government actions to influence our pipe smoking. The end. What else is there to discuss, and why?
you have two basic groups, one that wants equality/freedom and the other that wants social order.
Actually, I think most people want both of those things and do not see them as mutually exclusive.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
There is an arena already for political debates, where friends can quickly become enemies and delete one another at their will. It's called facebook.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"Stick to the substance of the legislation and to an objective reporting of it rather than one's personal opinions and wider bias."
That would be great, Jesse, but our 100% failure rate at that leads me to believe it will never happen. Keeping apprised of tobacco legislation would be nice; the only way I can see it working is to have a bulletin-board type section where someone could post said information, and there is no reply function whatsoever. The information gets presented, members read it, and there is no ensuing descent into madness. If it is not presented in an impartial manner, the mods could zap it before hackles get raised.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Some members are incapable of sticking to discussing and can only resort to name calling and denigrating other views rather than taking the other side's position apart point by point in a civil and cogent manner.
What a complete, total, absolute, unmitigated, spectacularly dim-witted idiot you are for having such a view, Warren. And your mother was no better. In fact, she was probably a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries! Not to mention your dog... you doubtless have a stupid dog, too.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
What a complete, total, absolute, unmitigated, spectacularly dim-witted idiot you are for having such a view, Warren. And your mother was no better. In fact, she was probably a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries! Not to mention your dog... you doubtless have a stupid dog, too.
Lighten up, you know how dwarfs are.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hi! I'm Gus, Warren's dawg. I aver that I am indeed smarter than he is. He waits on me hand and foot. It does, at times, take an undue length of time for him to understand what I want. But, all and all, I get fed on time and that's the main consideration. In return I take him outside from time to time so he can throw a ball (He's too lazy to get it himself), walk around the neighborhood, get a bit of exercise as it were.
Oh, I also typed this without the use of opposable thumbs. So, I'm more dexterous than he is also.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I agree totally with the OP. No debate/argument here will stop FDA Intrusions into our lives. Spend that capital at the voter box. Aldecakers bulletinboard idea would work for the regurgitation of media on legislation and tobacco tax info. But would probably be a pain in the ass for the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.