PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I for one am very glad there is a no politics rule here.I come here to talk about pipes and tobacco and to have some fun. Political discussions are never fun.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No other pipe forum is built on this model. Kevin determined that the forum sponsors wouldn't want to be affiliated with a "free for all" style forum, hence the stricter rules than you might elsewhere (one pipe forum has a "rubber room" of sorts, where it's a free-for-all).
If you're referring to the forum I think you are, that rubber room helped kill it off. Part of the problem was that members were putting most of their energy into that "rubber room" and not into the main forum, which resulted in the forum becoming increasingly dead. When some of the antics of the "rubber room" starting spilling into the main forum other members stopped posting, and when it got ugly those of us who had been underwriting it pulled the plug.
This is a commercial site, not my living room.
Politics:
It's Law? Nope
It's Ideology? Nope
It's Philosophy? Nope
Its constitutions and other governing documents? Nope
It's really nothing but the acquiring of government power.
Nope, that's ideology.
Politics is simple. It's two people with a pot of coffee. BTW, the pot of coffee is optional.
In the case of one person having multiple personality disorder, then I suppose it could be one person. The pot of coffee is still optional.
Everything above that is simply a difference of scale and complexity.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I had read (somewhere) that someone was under the impression that people with a base common interest would be more likely to discuss things like politics without resulting to fisticuffs, verbal or otherwise. I guess, perhaps, it was dependant on if they tried real hard to remember that they were conversing with people who at least shared some common interests. Can't remember if it was a research paper or not.
Pipe smokers sure blew that theory out of the water, haven't they?
I have a sense that it is best to keep politics off of this site, but truly, I do feel a bit saddened that people resort to animalistic behaviour, even when sharing common ground in other aspects of life. It brings the hope-a-metre down a little for me.
Being a predominately United States American site, perhaps there is just some long history that is tough to resolve among the predominate U.S. demographic here. Or who knows what else. My sense is that the arguments are more pronounced and tending toward the violent in America, but I suppose there are some democratic countries out there that rival it. I just can't think of too many right now.
It does happen globally, no doubt, but United States Americans really are getting a bigger reputation for divisive political discourse in the past decade or two. It will be interesting to see, in 25-50 years, if this has been something that makes that nation better or worse.
But, if pipe smokers can't find positive language for common ground and decency, then I'm skeptical for the rest of the population to get there in a good way!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Politics is using words to convince others to do stuff.
Most of us are just rationalizing the decline of our empire, and accepting our future as Brazil 2.0

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not to be a contrarian, but we are discussing the discussing of politics. It has remained remarkably civil, though.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
The thing about politics, which is why there is a discussion not to discuss politics, is that it is everywhere and impossible to get away from. I believe some of this is due to conditioning by the media, but a lot of it just has to do with conditions as it always has. For instance, if I want to see if it will be a rainy day and go on the weather channel, politics. Or I have had a long day at work, my wife sounds cranky on the phone, so I stop at the cigar shop and what is on the tv, politics. I have the day off and go fishing, and now someone wants to ask who I voted for. I also notice my anxiety levels increase when I step into a place that has a news on. It is everywhere. Now you go on any other social media what is being discussed? Family members and friends are mad at each other over it. Relationships ruined.Name calling between men and women. It's a worse epidemic than this last bout of the flu. Gentlemen, I need a break. I want a nice long life, and a lot of that has to do with keeping your anxiety and stress low. I am here to talk about smoking like a chimney and relaxing. It is Sunday afternoon, the sun is out, and the biggest debate I want to engage in is with myself as to what blend I am going to put in what pipe for the car to run my errands.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am here to talk about smoking like a chimney and relaxing. It is Sunday afternoon, the sun is out, and the biggest debate I want to engage in is with myself as to what blend I am going to put in what pipe for the car to run my errands.
You mean that you want a pipe forum to be a relaxing place to visit and discuss pipes tobaccos and other pleasures? You want a place that you can escape the anxiety provoking stupidity of the political barrage from self proclaimed pundits, ideological purists, luddites, and narcissistic sociopaths? What is wrong with you? :)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
SSJones, Hit the nail on the head. Since this site is 100% vendor supported, vendor's should not have to deal with their products being associated with Voter's favorite Ideologies and their favorite political candidates. Hence the rule in question. But the rule does allow legislation and tax discussions. Im assuming that the mods watch these discussions close to make sure there are no raw political discourse. I'm also assuming that each mod has their own limit to how far these discussions should go.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
As for tobacco legislation, there is a horse of another color. No matter what form, because it is "bad for us" whether it is cigs, cigars, or pipes, there is always some gradual restriction, tax, where you can and cannot do it, how many feet you have to stand from a building, etc. I do not see how many smokers would fight with one another on the subject, but then again, I see human nature, and people fight with each other over everything possible.
This is parroting the politics that you must've got from the media. Discussing the reasons are important, and as you said they are inherently political. The reason there are incrementally worse restrictions,taxes and locations permitting smoking, is due to the resistance to sudden large changes. The way a lobster is put in cool water and slowly brought to a boil. The end goal has always been the same. The reason it is prohibited is not because it is bad for us, but because it is allowing the creation of new precedents in law that will affect many other areas of our life. It is being attacked first due to the fact that is was considered an easier target than some of the other laws that are coming in the future.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
The reason it is prohibited is not because it is bad for us, but because it is allowing the creation of new precedents in law that will affect many other areas of our life.
Hammer, meet nail.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
unadoptedlamp: Once again, Americans are very different from Europeans. We have a history of self-government. I can't think of one European nor, any other region, country that has that. Not one. We have freedom of speech. I defy you to name a European, African, or Asian country that does not regulate speech in some manner. The US government is not afraid of armed citizens. European governments do not trust their people to be armed. The differences are indeed stark. Other than our somewhat common heritage, Americans are very different in their philosophy of life and government.
One must remember that the USA was founded by people fleeing government oppression in Europe. A constitution was carefully crafted so as to avoid what were perceived to be the opressions of England, France, et al.
Pipe smokers as a group are as diverse as the world's population is when it comes to philosophy, religion or the lack of it, political beliefs, etc. Bigotry rears it's ugly head on this forum far too often for my tastes. But, one has to recognize even bigots smoke pipes. The pipe is not a philosophy for life. The pipe is simply a tool for many and, for some, a sort of religious experience. Some find the pipe diverting. Everyone seeks peace, security, and comfort, sometimes at the expense of others. Not many find it. At least not a lifetime of serenity.
Just remember: "Life's a bitch ... then you die."

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Now gentlemen, my use of "bad for us" was used in sarcasm to point out that that is the excuse that has been used to raise taxes, etc, so we are in fact in agreement as to the other areas of our life also. I have been saying this for years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"European governments do not trust their people to be armed."
And with very good reason too! We all know what happens when folks are allowed to arm themselves willy nilly.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.