PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Hello, I am a beginner pipe smoker and I am very passionate about learning about the hobby, I have a question regarding corn cob pipes: I have several briar pipes, a peterson, a caminetto, and a don carlos and I like the looks of them very much and they smoke well I guess ( I'm a beginner so I really am still learning) what I am wondering about is that I ordered a couple corn cob pipes off the internet and they seem to smoke better than my briars do….they smoke all the way to the bottom and seem to have no moisture at all, I think they have became my favorite pipes to smoke, my question is what makes a briar pipe so much better and worth the expense?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
In my opinion you can't get a better smoke than from a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe. I have a few briars but they rarely get smoked as I always reach for one of my many cobs. I think a lot of people think of the cob as too "hick" but I smoke for the pure enjoyment and vitamin N delivery and that is what MM Cobs give me. A lot of members here like the looks of briar much better, but for me its more about the smoke. Also you won't find a better deal than a MM Cob.

Just stay far away from the cheap chinese cobs as they are JUNK.

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
Smoking a pipe is something you get better at over time, like playing a musical instrument. I have found cobs are easier to produce a desirable result than briars initially, however as you practice over time you will be able to produce the same result from your briars. Just my opinion. And for me the beauty of a briar is an integral part of the experience, so there's that.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Briars are a lot more work. They're for people that are a little more interested in the art of pipe smoking, not just the smoking part. It's for people who appreciate the artwork/time/effort put into making a pipe. I prefer a cob, but if I were to go out I would take one of my briars. A lot of it is imagine, a lot of it is the ritual used in smoking. Cobs are the best for the money, but there is nothing nicer than a nice briar.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Welcome to hobby and the forum, Donatello!
I'm relatively new myself, and like you, I have a briar and some cobs. And, like you, I've had much more enjoyable smokes out of my cobs than my briar. However, I do like the look and feel of a briar much more than a cob.
Briars are beautiful things, and the more I smoke and get used to the nuances of smoking a pipe, the more I'll appreciate briars. Briars can, if treated correctly, last a lifetime while cobs are meant to be disposable (although there are some on here who have 30 year old cobs).
Cobs are great to have since you don't have to worry as much about ghosting, which means you can try out all kinds of tobacco in the same pipe. And if for some reason a tobacco does ghost your cob--no big deal--either dedicate it or throw it in the rubbish bin.
So, keep puffing away on those cobs, and from time to time smoke your favorites in the briars. You'll find there's room for both in your pipe rotation.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
In my opinion you can't get a better smoke than from a Missouri Meerschaum Cob pipe. I have a few briars but they rarely get smoked as I always reach for one of my many cobs. I think a lot of people think of the cob as too "hick" but I smoke for the pure enjoyment and vitamin N delivery and that is what MM Cobs give me. A lot of members here like the looks of briar much better, but for me its more about the smoke. Also you won't find a better deal than a MM Cob.

Just stay far away from the cheap chinese cobs as they are JUNK.
+1000000000000000
MM cobs are top notch--don't bother with anything else.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I enjoy my cobs. In fact I recommended cobs to new pipe smokers to see if they would enjoy pipe smoking. For the price you cant beat it.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
First,welcome to the forums and pipe smoking.
Briars have to be broken in. This is a time-consuming process; but a properly broken in, decent quality briar, smokes much better than a cob. I enjoy cobs, but a good briar is a much better smoke.
At the low end, however, I think cobs are better than, say, a Dr. Grabow.
Smoking a pipe is something you get better at over time, like playing a musical instrument. I have found cobs are easier to produce a desirable result than briars initially, however as you practice over time you will be able to produce the same result from your briars.
This is very true. Pipe smoking requires patience.
Folks smoke a pipe for different reasons. If you are smoking a pipe solely as a nicotine delivery system, then a cob and a cheap, high nic tobacco are fine. It's like drinking whisky; if all you want is to get drunk, then drink whatever does the job. But if you drink whisky - or smoke a pipe - to savor the taste, then you will end up being dissatisfied at the low end, and seek out better quality whisky, pipes, and tobacco.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Donatello, you prefer cobs to Caminetto or Don Carlos? I think this hobby is going to be very economical for you! Seriously though, smoking to the bottom of the bowl and smoking "better" is less about the pipe and more about the person smoking it.
Not to be argumentative, but cobs are often given near-mythic properties that they frankly just don't have. They don't "ghost less" than briars. They don't produce "less moisture" than cobs and they don't allow you to smoke deeper into the bowl. Given the fact that their shank protrudes into the bowl, and the draft hole is not at the bottom, it's far less likely you'll make it to the bottom of the bowl with a cob.
But they're quite inexpensive and many enjoy them. And that's great. But there's a reason why briar is the standard when it comes to pipe material.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Cobs are great. In fact, they are probably better the first few bowls than briar. However, once a decent cake has formed and the briar is seasoned, I would never willingly reach for a cob over that briar. Briar is more finicky and it sometimes takes special attention (like breaking it in or dedicating a pipe to a particular tobacco) to bring the most out of it but it's worth it. I imagine given enough attention, you will feel the same way about either your Caminetto or Don Carlos. I have a Don Carlos that is close to perfect.
I have had good smokes out of cobs, morta, meerschaum, clays, and gourd calabashs and I reach for them all on occasion. However, my best smokes are always in briar. Always.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 Jud! I agree, cobs do offer an excellent smoke for the money, but I wouldn't take anything for my quality briars! I've never had a Don Carlos, but I do have a Caminetto and 14 Petersons in my collection, and all are wonderful smokers!

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
Thank you for all the posts I think I will just enjoy all of them, but I wonder if my briar pipes just aren't broken in properly yet and how do you know when they are? I really don't understand why you would need to break in a pipe, my pipes are estate pipes do they still need broke in even though they aren't new? Also why does a cob smoke so well from the first light and not need broken in?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the pastime, Donatello! :clap:
Jud said it better than I could. There are lots of paths to explore.

So take your time and discover what gives you the most satisfaction

-- then be prepared to have your opinions and tastes change evolve. :lol:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
How do you know when your briars are broken in? When they smoke good! Each piece of briar is different. Some pipes smoke great from the first bowl, some take a long time to be broken in. Cobs are very porous, they dissipate heat very well and absorb moisture very well. They have very open draws as well. Give your briars some time, you have some good quality pipes that should smoke very well when broken in.
Welcome to the forum BTW!

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
There is no straight answer as every piece of briar is different and every tobacco burns differently. But I usually find it's about 50-100 bowls for me before I consider them broken in. That being said, I also don't try to artificially encourage cake (i.e. honey, yogurt, etc.).

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
The thing about a lot of the cobs is that they tend to have smaller chambers due to availability of larger cobs. That's no deal breaker but it is fairly typical.
I would guess the diameter of your briar bowl are wider and possibly deeper. That could lead to packing the bowl differently and change flavors. Keep an eye on that. It could improve things for you.
They are called Missouri Meerschaums and are a more neutral bowl than briar. It isn't hard to get a more neutral effect with Meerschaum in a number of blends. So, that just might be what you are experiencing. It will often be a bit lighter tasting in them.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I've only got one cob but I'm a bit ambivalent about it. The bowl's a bit small. It DOES get ghosted. I find that it imparts an appropriately 'corny' flavour, though not to a large degree. I do like it, but I would consider it more for a quick smoke or for trying a potentially nasty aro or OTC. If I'm settling into my chair for a slow, smooth, relaxing bowl (which to me is the essence of pipe smoking) I'll go for a broken-in briar every time.

donatello

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
missouri
What does the cake actually do as far as breaking in a pipe? It seems to me that by getting a cake build up would seal off the briar itself and you would essentially be smoking tobacco in a bowl surrounded in cake, is this cake really porous and absorb moisture very well sort of like a cob does?

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Its a little of both. Think of it like two filters, one cake and one briar. The cake won't stop all the heat or tars, so the briar is still involved. In addition, the cake can impart a flavor of its own, which can be good or bad. A cake that is too thick brings its own problems, as well. Hence, the constant "work" of pipe smoking.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I use a cob for my day/work pipe but when home and smoking a favorite tobacco I will always reach for one of my briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.