Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The deadline for pipe submissions is December 31, 2014.
The prize is the Waiting for Santa Sampler.
pp-pc13.png

(1) 2 oz. tin GL Pease Gaslight
(1) 1.76 oz. tin Dunhill Nightcap
(1) 2 oz. tin Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding
(1) 1.5 oz. tin Hearth & Home Signature Ten to Midnight
Waiting for Santa Sampler

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Confused. What is this for? I must have missed something.
Just scoured the website and was wondering the same thing trying to find a related topic or contest notification.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Sorry. I thought it would be self-explanatory by posting it in this sub-forum.
39th post down here-

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/forum-project-lets-carve-a-pipe-kit

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I will have to bow out, won't get a kit till Christmas then that leaves me a week to complete it, mission impossible for a full time single dad of a 4 year old

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Hmm not sure I will have enough time to get it done by the 31st...I have my kit but will have to bow out...planning on working on mine between Christmas and New Years...definitely don't think it will be completed...but will try

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The deadline for pipe submissions is December 31, 2014.
Not quite sure what is meant by ‘submissions’? I would take that as meaning that one has to commit that they are interested in making a pipe kit for the contest? It obviously can’t mean that a finished pipe must be submitted by December 31, 2014! The idea for this project was posted just one week ago by Greg and many do not have any idea that such a project was proposed. I don’t know about others, but I never notice the ‘sticky’ threads and from what I can see there are now four threads about this and each and every one has links to each other to the point that it is all somewhat confusing.
One of the threads pertaining to this project was titled ‘Something to Add to Your Christmas List’ which would obviously imply that some could obtain a kit as a Christmas gift which would then give 6 days to come up with a finished pipe!
Now that it is has turned into a contest and trying to keep with Greg‘s original idea of using a kit to make a pipe for those that have never undertook making one I would think that there would have to be some parameters/rules set. Such as using a kit only, and that it be only limited to those that will be making their first, or possibly second pipe. After all, there are a lot of members who have been making pipes for a good long time as a hobby (with accumulating the associated equipment), and some who are professional pipe makers. There is no way I’m going to waste money on a pipe kit and the ensuing expenditure on other materials associated to make one to only then end up with a piece of crap so that I can have it done by 12/31/2014. By the way, just what is the rush? Either way, I’m in it only for the fun and the experience and keeping with Greg’s original proposal. I’ve been meaning to give a try with a pipe kit for some time and I’ll try to post pictures of my progress. I’m certainly in no hurry and I’ll more likely than not be going at it until sometime after Christmas. Then again, even if I take my time I might very well end up with crap, but at least I’ll know that I took my time and have only myself to blame and not being rushed.
In parting... having a contest that has absolutely no rules, and a contest that seems many are not even aware of seems rather odd, but that’s just my opinion. Either way, the best of luck to those who enter and I’ll most certainly be looking forward to the end results and the winner! ;)
Here are the four threads associated with this... project/contest?
Forum Project – Let’s Carve a Pipe Kit!
Prize Pack & Deadline
Post them here!
Something to Add to Your Christmas List
You figure it out!

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
@ phil67
+1 mate, will take a minimum of 2 weeks for a kit to get to Australia then add the Christmas Mail on top, I may not get the kit by Christmas

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Well, contest aside, the original intent was to carve a pipe at your leisure and post progress and final photos as you want/can. Originally we were hoping to finish by Easter or so. I don't think I'll be able to complete a kit pipe before 12/31 either but that's okay; the contest isn't my main objective.
Hopefully today we will have some answers, specially about the contest, rule, etcetera but don't let the contest aspect dampen the concept.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Just send in an unfinished ebouchon as your "contest entry", claim your prize (since no one else will be able to complete a pipe in the next couple of weeks and yours will be the only entry), then take your time on a serious attempt at a pipe in the spring.
Problem solved!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
The contest was entirely P&C's concept. We are working on getting more details from them so we will all know more. Stay tuned …

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's what I thought at first, but then I wasn't all too sure.

Either way, I was never interested in the contest aspect of this project anyway and simply in it for the experience/fun and to see what I can turn out. Contest or no contest it sure as hell won't be finished by 12/31! :lol:

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I say lets just do our own, stuff the couple of tins of tobacco as a prize. Let's not allow a stupid half arsed deadline spoil our fun. I think doing one each year with Easter being the yearly deadline will make so many others happy. Besides that way if our first attempt fails we might have time to start over .. Hahahaha
I just think the origional concept was a beauty and we shouldn't allow unreal expectations to spoil our fun. Make ours a PipesMagazine.com project not a Tobacco Store project with a silly deadline spoiling it for many here, they can still have theirs but only some here will be able to complete by then. If a tobbaco store wants to put up a prize then let it be for a contest on our terms not theirs, let the prize be their generosity for OUR project with OUR deadline. Christmas is about family, not about committing yourself to the workshop avoiding them.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
If a tobbaco store wants to put up a prize then let it be for a contest on our terms not theirs
I must respectfully dissent. If you are generously offering a prize, then you have every right to set the terms. Until P&C became involved, this wasn't a contest; it was a project. Since they decided to add the contest of their own initiative, then it is unreasonable to expect them to accept whatever rules we may come up with. Had this been an organized contest to begin with to which they were asked to supply a prize, then it would be fair to ask them to accept our rules.
In short, whoever sets up the contest gets to make the rules.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I agree and I have no problem whatsoever with that and P&C is more than welcome to hold whatever contest they wish to. As I said, I’ve no interest in a contest and I’m only in this ‘project’ for the fun and experience of it and whatever I can derive out of it. However, if P&C is holding a contest on their own that is separate and has absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with Pipesmagazine and this proposed project then I would have to say they are certainly keeping it a secret on their site!
I’ve not seen one mention of such a contest on P&C as of yet much less the proposed prize. If they are indeed holding such a contest just when do they propose on announcing it with this deadline of having finished pipes submitted by 12/31/2014! It would definitely seem as though some wires are crossed here and one hand has no idea whatsoever what the other one is doing.
Either way... I’m in for the ‘project’ and nothing else as I could care less about a contest.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I wasn't saying anything against P&C, or at least I didn't intend any ill feelings toward them, I was just saying the project shouldn't have a deadline that is around the Christmas/ New Year period that would interfere with people enjoying the opportunity of being with family and/or celebrating Christmas and New Years with family and friends.
I humbly apologize if any disrespect was implied :worship:

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
@toby67 I didn't infer any disrespect or ill intent from anything you said. I agree that the deadline is much too short, particularly for someone making a first pipe who may not even get the kit until Christmas. I just wanted to express my support for the contest creator to make bad rules. In reviewing your post, I may have read it slightly differently than you meant it.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
All good vfefrenzy, I just wanted to ensure that I meant no disrespect as I am quite particular about not disrespecting others. I appreciate your understanding nonetheless

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I'm Still waiting to hear on rules and such from P&C. But we are going to go on with our forum project independent of the contest. I hope to get a little video done later today and post it. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.