PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
It's been 8 or so years since having smoked PA and CH. I remember really enjoying both. After being on a hiatus I've been sampling some burleys (London Burley Blend, Cube Cut, Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, Best Brown No 2) and they don't even seem to come close to what I remember of their OTC cousins. I guess I need to go out and get a couple of pouches to be sure, but am pretty excited about the cheapest bout of TAD ever.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I ordered a pouch of Prince Albert on a whim, and rather enjoyed it. I've since ordered a tub for cellaring, and I'm using it to break in a new pipe... It's a good, solid smoke.
I still prefer Sugar Barrel among the OTC/Codger Burleys, but it's been discontinued, sadly - I got my hands on a tub just after the announcement hit, and cellared that as well. :(

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
They're okay, and obviously they've stood the test of time.
However, if I want a no-frills smoke I would take H&H Angler's Dream or Missouri Meerschaum Missouri Pride over CH & PA any day, any time.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Oh yeah, C&D Pegasus flies under the radar all day. I think the pinch of black cavendish in the description puts some people off, but it really is just a pinch of unsweetened black cavendish. If you're wanting a simple, warm, nutty, mono-dimensional smoke, Pegasus is your Huckleberry.
Bob Runowski's (morleysson) comments on TobaccoReviews.com:

OK, I understand that Pegasus is one of my own offspring, but I am partial to it. In the blending, I sought to find a mixture that really reflected rather common American tobaccos which could be enjoyed as a smoke through the day. Years ago, I enjoyed smoking Bond Street, and my hope was to approach the flavor of Bond Street with its pleasant room aroma.
The base of the blend are three burleys: cube cut, white and dark. They are the majority tobaccos. The two virginias and the unsweetened black cavendish provide the flavor. I have grown very fond of ribbon cut virginia with its matured sweetness and clean burn. Black cavendish has drawn criticism because of the travesty which some blenders have inflected upon it with the "bag o' smokes" available in some venues. But, C&D black cavendish is uncased and very smooth, w/o excess sugars.
Smoking Pegasus is best in a larger bowled pipe, to allow the tobaccos to meld. I chose a Ben Wade large Dublin which I got from Bill Unger of NASPC. In the first lightings, the initial bitterness of burleys are expressed, but then their fullness is tasted followed fairly quickly by tasting both virginias and the BC. The smoke never seems to fall into any harshness and levels out into clean and pleasant experience. I believe that both the new and more experienced smoker will find Pegasus acceptable.
RIP Bob, you were a good man and contributed much to our "hobby".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All of the above. I find Carter Hall an excellent low-key smoke and also good to mix with other blends.

Prince Albert has a lovely old time balance, and I'm never disappointed. It's not a Dunhill blend, but it

fills its niche with pride and consistency. I'm smoking CD Pegasus right now, in a XXL Joh's apple and

it is a fine complex but sturdy blend. It seems to me Pegasus just won't unfold in a smaller bowl; it just

tastes harsh. Give it room and it will treat you like a prince.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
They're OK for what they are. I've tried 'em, along with some of the other codger burleys, just to say I've smoked 'em. Don't see any reason to do it again. I'll take MacB Burley London or Golden Extra any day over CH or PA. The only advantage I see to those blends is that they are comparatively easy to find. But since a pound of Golden Extra bulk is apt to be cheaper than a 14 oz can of CH, why bother?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm a fan of both CH, and PA. I rarely go two or more days without having a bowl of either one of them.
I use it more like a reset button for my palette. I switch between about 4 or 5 different blends these days, and plan on upping that here by 3 or 4 more blends here soon, so I'm sure my CH & PA consumption will increase as well.
I also smoke it when I'm doing busy work outside, just because I like clenching a pipe with something smoldering. Makes the work a bit more enjoyable.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I can't smoke straight burley. I like it blended, but not alone. I've tried CH, PA, H&H ... can't do em.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The only old 'stand bye' OTC tobacco's I've revisited over the past few months or so is CH, SWR and PA. Out of the three the only one that I like is PA and I'll occasionally smoke a bowl of it. I made the mistake of purchasing 14oz. of the CH and I can't stand it. Purchased a pouch of SWR, smoked a half bowl and NEVER again. Absolutely putrid.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I can't smoke straight burley. I like it blended, but not alone. I've tried CH, PA, H&H ...
CH is not straight Burley, it's blended with Virginia.
the only one that I like is PA and I'll occasionally smoke a bowl of it. I made the mistake of purchasing 14oz. of the CH and I can't stand it.
That's really odd to me as CH and PA are so alike ... very few pipers would be able to pick them apart

in a blind test. That being said, I love CH and if you still have a tub for trade send me a PM!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
I've smoked both CH and PA and for OTC blends I've found them both to be an easy-going, mild, but enjoyable smoke. While there are a lot of other Virginia/Burley blends that I find more flavorful, there's a reason that these vintage OTC blends are still around when so many vintage blends have come and gone. I've found, as many others have said as well, both CH and PA smoke exceptionally well in a cob, and lately I've been enjoying a pouch of CH in my cobs.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I find CH and PA to taste and smell different. I much prefer PA. It has that chocolate in the background much like Burley London Blend and I like it. If PA were the only tobacco around I'd still smoke a pipe. I'm not sure I'd say the same about CH. It's okay but boring.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That's really odd to me as CH and PA are so alike ... very few pipers would be able to pick them apart

in a blind test.
Yes, alike to a certain extent as to both being very mild, but two different blends.

From what I can ascertain is that CH is Burley & Virginia whereas PA is Burley & Cavendish.

Status
Not open for further replies.