PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phage74

Lurker
Jun 27, 2009
I sometimes like to mix perique with an aromatic in a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio to smooth out the bite of the aromatic, enhance the flavor, and add a large dose of nicotine. I realize this isn't really a home blend, but it seems possibly relevant.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Re Home Blends
I bought a digital scale Salter Scales, thats actuate to .01 oz. Its for Mailing. cost me about US$70.00
I also saw some on Amazon that look even better
Search "digital scales"
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1250428324/ref=sr_kk_2?ie=UTF8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=digital%20scales
They seem to start as cheap as $15 - $20 and up
and Share your blends

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I don't really blend any tobacco. Sometimes if I have a couple of blends that I don't like, I will try mixing some of each (if they seems like they will compliment each other) to see how they will taste.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That is what normally happens with me. Now when and if I do try it, I use smaller quantities of tobacco to see if it taste good. That way I'm not ruining all of both blends by mixing them.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Here is a source for Home Tobacco Blends: http://www.tobaccoblending.com/index.htm
THIS RECEPIE CAUGHT MY EYE
Wife Repellent
5 parts chopped cigar leaf / cheap cigar works great / premium cigar even better

5 parts latakia

3 blended turkish ribbon or flake

1 part red virginia
Name Withheld

Reactions: Fralphog

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
(Balkan Harbor)
Sunset Harbor Flake / Cornell & Diehl / 60% http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2768

Balkan Sasieni / 40 % http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=1068
First tins of both of these for me.

Sunset Harbor (broken flake) nice but hard to keep lit. Dry or Moist, As is or Rubbed Out packed like a brick

Balkan Sasieni (ribbon) nice but burn too fast, and need some umph
Together Fantastic, cool, slight perique tongue tickle, full of flavor, easy to pack and keep lit.
This is first home blend that I'm satisfied with (Balkan Harbor)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Late this Fall I should have some REAL home made blends. If the crop comes in all right. I will let you know how it goes!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I used to try to improve professionally blended tobacco and wasted a lot of money!

These days, spiking PA with 4 or 5% Perique is about as crazy as I ever get. LOL

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
Cortez I agree that blending blended blends is typically a recipe for disaster.
I've found though that experimenting with single varietal blending components can be fun and instructive.
Or even using a particular blend as a base and adding something simple to it as you say you do with Perique. A quality VA or an Oriental like a Yenidge or of course Latakia (If you dig on latakia) can do good things to just about any run of the mill blend.
But breeding a mutt with a mutt usually ends up unwelcome surprises.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
80% Dunhill 965

20% Dunhill Nightap.
The Nightcap smooths out the 965 and the 965 cuts the nicotine level of the Velvet Hammer to something more tolerable.

shannonh

Lurker
Mar 10, 2010
Twin Cities
4 parts SG Medium VA flake

1 part perique
The flake is good, but lacks depth on its own. It was already partially rubbed out, so I rubbed it out more and after blending put in a bail top jar. It just keeps getting better.
1 100g can Macbaren #1 VA, 1 oz cube cut burley. Keeps the va burning, hardly affects taste.
Almost any hot burner can be "assisted" with a bit of burley, either ribbon of cube cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.