PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'm not blender either but I tried some Germain Special Latakia Flake and hated it so I mixed it in equal parts with Smokers Haven Krumble Kate (similar to Penzance) which I love and was thrilled with the results. I love the mixture!

Reactions: Fralphog

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
The Gandy
2 parts PA

1 part Latakia

.25 part Perique
I mix this in a bowl, sprinkle with just enough distilled water...enough to make it just too moist to smoke,not wet!

Loosely cover with plastic wrap then microwave on high for 45 seconds, stir lightly, nuke for another 30 seconds. Let it sit on kitchen counter til cool, then spread it out thinly to dry to desired moisture level.

This mixture is VERY good . I just opened a jar that has been sitting for 2 years and its tremendous! In the jar it has a spicey chocolate scent. It smokes with a mild to medium thickness that can only be described as "rich" with a very pleasant nutty flavor.
Edited to add.... When I smoke this right away the Latakia is very noticeable which I like...you know, that lovely campfire smell.

However, in the jar that aged for two years it has lost the pronounced campfire note and has developed into a faint roasted hickory nut type note.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
[/quote]Whose blenders do you use for the Latakia and Perique?
Im not really sure who the supplier is but I aquired it from Edwards Tobacco Shop in Lakeland Fl. I will ask the next time I get over there.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
4 oz. PA

4 oz. McCelland's 5110

1 oz. Partagas maduro cigar leaf (chopped cigar)
My favorite until Dunhill/Lane deserted the USA was 5 parts 965 and one part Nightcap.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Chuckw, according to pipemaker Julius Vesz, a dash of cigar leaf seems to improve just about every pipe blend, and is not widely known. Where did you learn to do that?

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
For me, one of the biggest pleasures of pipe smoking is the wide variety of blends available and the ease with which you can combine them. Over the years I've tried hundreds of combinations, some great, others not so great. My current favorite is a mixture of 50% PS Bull's Eye and 50% Luxury Twist. I occasionally throw in a little C&D, G.L. Pease or McClelland for a change of pace.
My longest-term experiment is my Trashcan Blend. When I get to the bottom of a tin or a bag of bulk and there isn't enough left for a full bowl, it goes in the Trashcan usually with a little of one of the bulk blends I have open at the time to add some bulk. This goes on until one of two things happen.
End 1.) It gets nasty and I don't like it. When this happens I take a small amount of it (about 1/4 oz. or so) and mix it with an equal amount of PS Aroma Dutch Slices. There's something about the mild burley of ADS that can turn an otherwise unsmokable batch into a decent smoke. This works about half the time, if it doesn't cure the problem the whole mess really becomes trashcanned and I start a new batch.
End 2.) It gets so good that I don't want to spoil it. When that happens I transfer it to a new container and start a new batch of Trashcan. The frustrating part about this ending is that there's really no way to duplicate the good stuff. Some of these batches have gone on for 4 or 5 years and have had too many odds and ends added to ever be able to identify the exact combination.

rbergum95

Lurker
Apr 28, 2010
Perique Freak
66% SG Best Brown Flake (fully rubbed out)

33% Perique
Very nice after 3 months of marrying time.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
2oz of Caminetto Como mixed with 2oz of Esoterica St. Ives

It still maintains the Como's wonderful smell but cuts the sharp taste. St. Ives used to be good on its own but I think they've changed the blend. Now its bland but still good tobacco and Como is just the thing to rev it up.
Penzance added to anything about 50/50 is good.

recurl

Lurker
Aug 14, 2010
This works for me: 1 part Cherry Bomb to 1 part Bella Vanilla. I smoking about 1 to 3 bowls a day for about 6 months now, aint got tired of it yet.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
I have a ziplock bag with about 3 ounces of leftover aromatics from my local tobacco shop. I didn't want to throw out the remnants of each bag so I just keep adding to the mix each time. I have some Wilshire (local blend), french vanilla, a dab of Captain Black and a few sprinkles of blue berry muffin. Believe it or not, it's not bad and there is no tongue bite, and it has a fantastic room note. I'll continue the "witches brew" until it crawls out and attacks me while I'm sleeping.

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I have some "tree beard" from just for him's lord of the rings series. This stuff has some subtle and interesting notes, but for the most part is quite bland. it lacks the flavorful earthiness of most english blends, and has no sweetness of virginia, or flavorful aromatic. I mixed this 50-50 with some sir walter raleigh's aromatic and it wasn't bad. I get some kind of nutty flavor mixed with a hint of something that reminds me of spice drops from tree beards, but it also has a pleasing upfront sweetnes from the swr.

bromthebard

Lurker
Mar 7, 2013
Cleveland, TN
I literally just started the pipe a few weeks ago, so I'm fairly new to smoking in general. I decided to combine a little bit of the two tobaccos that are my favorites right now (I still haven't tried many though): Carter Hall and Prince Alberts Cherry Vanilla. I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I will inform you of the results in a few days. I just did about 5 or 6 large pinches of each.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
All I can say is a digital scale is best. And, always write down what you did because you will not remember! Work with small amounts such as an ounce of this and an ounce of that. It cuts down on your rejects.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.