Pipe That Whistles? Not The Tune I Want To Hear

(35 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by carolinachurchwarden
  • Latest reply from chilly65
  1. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, so, my St. Patrick's Day Peterson is a bit of a whistler. I dry puffed on it before I ever filled the bowl and heard it whistle, but I've got a few others that whistle a bit too until you load it up. I filled it with tobacco today and fired it up. She whistled through the entire bowl.

Will this get better/worse over time and is there a way to fix it at all?

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've not had that happen or even know what that means.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I am recalling my research correctly, it’s a drilling issue in the stem. I have a Chacom that whistles. I think it has to do with the end of the tenon, but it’s been a while and so hopefully someone else will be able to elaborate or correct!

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watched a youtube (I know, I know...) and this guy had a pipe that whistled. He reamed the draft hole in the stummel side and it removed the whistle. It was a long time ago, and I can't remember much more about the video. But, I don't think you'd want to remove any wood, or mess with the draft hole dynamics, maybe just clean up the draft hole a little. There may be some turbulence cause the air to... do whatever it is that causes the whistle. Just maybe keep a light touch, with a drill bit that just fits into the draft, but don't push the drill bit into the chamber, just wind it around a little and see if that smoothes it out. You don't want to wallow out the taper into the chamber.

Or, maybe contact a repairman... if you don't feel confident doing this. That would be totally understandable. Heck, it may not even be the solution. It was youtube, afterall.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Does the stem do it when removed from the pipe? May be a bit of material in the draft hole. The drill bit on a senior reamer is great for that.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting, cosmic. Might have to look it up. I'm confident in my ability to keep it light and clean it up if that's what it takes.

Actually, I'm not sure. I didn't remove the stem and try to draw on the shank end, but while smoking it definitely sounded like the whistle was coming from the bowl.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, and don't use the drill bit it a drill, just use it with your fingers. I forgot that part. It might be important, ha ha.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I figured as much. I had to clean some fluff from a cleaner out of a stem one day that way. Seemed like it wouldn't come free any other way.

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, as soon as I hit send, I pictured someone putting their pipe into a vise and running a drill bit through the heel of their pipe, ha ha.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that wouldn't be good, hahaha. I'll try another bowl from it tomorrow and see if it's coming from the bowl again when the stem is removed as well. If so, I'll try a bit down the hole and twist it about a bit to see if the whistle clears up.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

This article mentions the whistling issue:
    https://pipedia.org/wiki/Airflow:_The_Key_to_Smoking_Pleasure

Maybe try a different stem, from another Peterson pipe (if it fits!), just to see if the problem is in the stem or stummel.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hopefully it's a minor issue you can work out. I'd hate to think your new St. Patty's Day pipe is a dud.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

My only Peterson whistles when dry. It's the stem, which whistles off of the pipe also.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In German the word for pipe is the same word for whistle. Pfeife. I suppose this Peterson is a Pfeife Pfeife.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 5 months ago #
  15. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

16. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

It's a Saint Patrick Pipe the whistling gets rid of the snakes

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 5 months ago #
  17. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Update, so I pulled the stem this morning and sucked on it and got the whistle by itself off just the stem. I then put my mouth around the stummel and sucked with nothing but an air sound. To double check I swapped the stems from my Christmas Peterson for the St. Patrick's Day stem and got the whistle sound again.

Pretty much confirms that the whistling is coming from the stem alone. I've read through the other threads listed above and have come down to two options.

1) It's coming from the bit end.

2) It's coming from the shank end.

I almost feel as though I can rule out option 1 because it looks rather smooth inside the bit. Also, I'm not sure I want to go messing with that end too much.

Option number 2 seems plausible, as the end of the stem does look like it harbors a sharper edge around the inside of the draft hole. I also noticed that the draft hole here on this Plip is much larger than the draft hole on my fishtail from the Christmas pipe. Could the larger air hole size be the culprit? When I get home, I may try to soften that edge on the shank end and see id that gets rid of the whistle.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

Good, methodical approach!

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"it harbors a sharper edge around the inside of the draft hole"

This.

So relieve that edge somehow, a countersink bit or rolled up sandpaper or something.

Whistling=cavitation. Cavitation=turbulent air. Something rough, or sharp, or square in the airway. Most pipes will whistle if you draw hard enough (all pipes are a dog whistle, as it were) but any whistle at ordinary puffing is not a great sign for smoking, as well as just being annoying and silly.

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^ this is what I though and wondered.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good work!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  22. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forgot I had my Case knife on me, so I just scraped along the inside edge, beveling it with my blade for a bit. It's getting better, but I'll grab some fine grit when I get home and smooth out the edge a little more. At least I can now puff normally and not hear it anymore. If my bowl start to go out and I puff a little harder I can still hear it, but it's greatly reduced. Thanks for the help gents!

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Sounds like you're on track to subdue the whistle. It's some little edge, burr, or uneven place that is acting like a woodwind reed and vibrating. The fix will be very minor, just hitting the one really small place. It shouldn't be there, but there it is.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

rollinrich11

Login to Send PM

Carolina, just posted this on another thread.

Disclaimer: not a professional by any means.

My first briar was a Tinderbox basket pipe with shellac as the polish. That pipe gurgled from the first smoke until just recently, about three years. I dove into trying the estate refurbish and resell and had many “crap” pipes like Grabow and kaywoodie. There are previous posters in this thread that have said poor workmanship could cause this. I will have to agree. I just finished Rick Newcombe's book, “In Search of Pipe Dreams” and Rick said that he preferred his draft to be drilled at 3/16th of an inch. He also said that 5/32nd would be a good start to “open” up a pipe. I was leary of gouging out the shank of my pipe so I chose to use 5/32nd drill bit on that Tinderbox pipe. It will not gurgle.

That leads me to my Savinelli pipes. I have not had gurgle in my Savinelli pipes, that is until I acquired an estate set of Linea 76 shape 06. I was messing with the cheap pipes and noticed that the Savinelli pipes I had acquired new were drilled already at 5/32nd. The older Savs were not drilled so large. I also had a cheap meerschaum that gurgled constantly and drilled it also. That cleared the pipe from gurgle.

I understand Newcombe is clearly into Danish pipes and into pipes none of us could ever afford, but his time with The Ivarson family and the other Danish pipe makers have given him some great knowledge on the physics of a great smoking pipe.

In close, I agree with the posts in this thread that the physics of the pipe would most likely be the cause of the gurgle. Or soaking wet tobacco.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

rollinrich11

Login to Send PM

Can also make the whistle go away.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I tried a few things on the stem, but nothing I can seem to do will reduce the whistle. I made it better by filing the edge down and now it does it only when the bowl gets about halfway down or when lighting, but the rest of the time, I don't really notice it.

I contacted Smoking Pipes to see if they had any of the Peterson stems in stock at all, but it doesn't look like it. Was told I could send it in for repair and it would cost me $40 or have them send it to Peterson for $80, but I only paid a little over $100 for it. At that, I could just buy a whole new one and have two bowls with one stem that worked between them.

I reckon I'm just going to have a whistling pipe. Of course, I could make it my car pipe. Didn't notice the whistle one bit last night on the ride home from work with the radio turned up.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

Login to Send PM

If the end of the tenon is not countersunk, then I'd use a chamfer bit to smooth out the air stream...

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

When I purchased my Semi- churchwarden valcano nording it too had a whistle, and I mean a loud whistle. But it stopped making that noice after about 10 bowls or so. I guess whatever was vibrating was covered in carbon or worn away by pipe cleaners. Hope you find a solution because I was super bummed to receive a new pipe and then hear that whistle as soon as I dry puff it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the end of the tenon is not countersunk, then I'd use a chamfer bit to smooth out the air stream...

Yeah, this stem is made a touch differently. When pulled, the end looks as though it has a smaller tenon at the end, then it swells up again to fit inside the military end of the shank. There's another hole diameter up on the inside and I have no way of being able to tell what it looks like as I can't get a light down inside the end without my big head getting in the way.

I don't think you can see it too well, but down inside the larger hole, there's a smaller diameter draft hole that I can't see. It could need to be larger or maybe there's a bur, I don't know, I just can't tell.

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

jayperry

Login to Send PM

Oh ..the dreaded whistler.. had a nice large but inexpensive full bent that did that .. I took a tiny ball end dremel and made the draw hole in the shank oval a bit by the "trap " and it never did it again i believe it was the edge of the stem making it whistle

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’ve got a Butz-Choquin Jumbo 1398 that will whistle if you puff any harder than very slightly. It aggravates the time out of me and I’ve not bought another BC because of it. May be a bit extreme, but...

Anyway, I’m close to taking a needle file to it, just to open the draft hole a tiny bit. I’m not sure I can hurt it. It’s the worst smoking briar I’ve got, so it doesn’t get much use.

That’s it. I’m going to fiddle with it tomorrow while I’m out smoking.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  32. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Nording Compass turned out to be a whistler too. Only when you draw/blow in a certain manner, and mostly when it's empty, but it did whistle at least once when smoking it. Ah well.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  33. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

I've got an old Stanwell -- 137, an Eltang design -- that makes a turbulent whistle-ish noise. I might try some of these aforementioned methods. But it's so pretty that I'm loath to mess with it.

Non Serviam
    Posted 3 months ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

By the look of the tenon I am wondering if it is made for a filter.All of my Peterson pipes have a smaller hole and thicker tenon wall except for one that was definitely made for a filter.

What is the diameter of the stem opening? is it 9mm (approx 3/8")

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

chilly65

Login to Send PM

Peterson is just trying to copy Castello.
    Mike

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipestud, chilllucky, sholto, ben88, jiminks, elbert, milehighpiper, tuold, jaytex969, philobeddoe, dcon, ashdigger, pitchfork, rodo, danimalia, jfred, gandalfspipe, crawdad, oldgeezersmoker