PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Anybody have some recommendations on pipe lighters? I prefer to use a math since that's the old fashioned way of lighting a pipe but when you're outside and it's windy, a match doesn't work.
I've seen some online but the reviews are confusing. I tried one that was supposed to be good, it shot out a 7 inch flame and then stopped working.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I've been doing some research on lighters, and the IM Corona Old Boy seems like a good choice. Bought one yesterday, in fact. Sadly, it's an international shipping, so I'll have to wait at least a month.
If you don't want to invest that much, any soft flame butane lighter will do, ie BIC.
I can't recommend a Zippo. Even with Zippo fluid, you can taste it.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Yeah I've seen the Corona Old Boys and I can't afford that much for a lighter lol. I'd love to have one but yikes.
I've been using a BIC lighter, sometimes with the RAW hemp wick sort of lights like a candle but you can been the wick to fit into the bowl. Normally though I've just used a BIC and tried to avoid lighting my thumb on fire.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Yes, I hear you.

Currently I'm using a cheap Honest pipe lighter. It's not perfect (a charge doesn't last for long, and sometimes it won't light on first try), but it wont burn your thumb. ;)

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Yeah, the burning thumb is really annoying. Although if my father is with me he usually yells "Flame on!" like I'm the human torch or something.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I've had good luck with Jetline angled flame lighters. They're also relatively inexpensive. The biggest downside I've found is their very small reservoir. Xikar makes a lighter in this style called the Resource. It's more stylish, more substantial in the hand, and holds a respectable amount of fuel. It's also twice the price of the Jetlines.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Old Boy is great inside, but not out. The best bets are a Zippo or vintage Nimrod, which are lighter fluid based, or a cheap butane right angle lighter, like a this JetLine. I also like the disposable Linse Lighters, which are available on eBay and Iwan Ries (about $1-$3, depending upon order quantity). None are perfect. The lighter fluid based lighters evaporate fuel very fast. The Jetline might not be that reliable, but I've had mine for a couple years and it has been solid, but I use it infrequently, mostly because I have a lot of lighters laying around.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know people that swear by DJeep lighters.
I like the class and traditional look of the Old Boy lighters. IM Corona has some around $110 and Kiribi I think has some down around $80. I found a Vector one a while back for around $30 I think. I’ve used them outside and in a brisk wind yeah they can be trouble to relight the pipe.
Jon David from the Country Squire swears by matches. If he’s outside it’s a Zippo if he’s inside it’s matches only.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I agree with matches. In the past year the biggest change to my pipe ritual has been using matches as much as possible.
However, I LOVE my Xikar Scribe lighters! They are very friendly on the rims of the pipes and you can adjust the flame to any level desired. I have two of them now and use them all the time.
Scribe-lighters.jpg

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I don't sweat it, just use whatever is handy. I have Bics all over the place, cost less than 50 cents. I always carry a Zippo, great outdoors. On my smoking table in the TV room is a charcoal lighter with a flexible long snout.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Everyone has their preferred flame source
For me, its whatever is closest when I'm indoors. Zippo, Bic, matches. Outdoors, its always a Zippo, I just can't deal with the wind any other way.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Well, let's put it this way, many years ago I discovered there was such a thing as pipe discussion boards when I was googling to find out why I have no luck with lighters. :D Lighters may be purty but reliability-wise, wooden matches can't be beat.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Take your pick but I generally stick to matches myself at all times. You'll most likely find me outside my office, standing in a corner, cussing like a sailor after firing 3 matches most days, when I step outside. Even when there's hardly any wind, so I'm in the market for one myself. I really do like the concept of these:
51qqkzg5XUL._SL1001_.jpg

The first of which I discovered in a Tinder Box in Durham, but they were fetching about $65 easy. Might pick one of these up myself off Amazon at some point, just because I like the idea that I can pack my bowl, step outside and have everything with me I need with just my pipe and lighter.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I've been looking at those as well. I saw a butane soft flame lighter in the style of the Old Boy but made by Mr. Brog. It comes with a built in tamper but the reviews are mixed, but then again every lighter I've seen has mixed reviews.
I may try one off Amazon, at least one I know can be returned if it doesn't work or I don't like it. I'd love to use matches all the time but there's always a breeze it seems and the lady of the house does not like me to smoke indoors.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
the lady of the house does not like me to smoke indoors.
Mine would probably not have a problem with it at all, but I choose not to personally. I don't plan to live in the house I own right now forever and would like to sell it one day. I've done a lot of remodel work in my life and know all too well the effects smoking indoors can have on a house. It soaks into the paint, carpets, pretty much everywhere, so I try to keep it all outside all the time just for that reason. Won't really be a nice selling point if you walk in and smell smoke, even if it's very slight.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I hear plasma jet lighters are good but I haven't bought one (yet). BICs are OK if you're careful of your thumb. ;) At the moment I've got a nice inexpensive black Imco that's gotten knocked around, beaten around, & GOK what-all else & keeps on ticking, & that's good enough for me.
Zippo or Nimrod? Well, let's put it this way -- light my pipe with charcoal starter? "I don't think so, Tim." :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.