Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Lighters?

(70 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nitemair13
  • Latest reply from Joe Blow
  1. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Anybody have some recommendations on pipe lighters? I prefer to use a math since that's the old fashioned way of lighting a pipe but when you're outside and it's windy, a match doesn't work.

I've seen some online but the reviews are confusing. I tried one that was supposed to be good, it shot out a 7 inch flame and then stopped working.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

I've been doing some research on lighters, and the IM Corona Old Boy seems like a good choice. Bought one yesterday, in fact. Sadly, it's an international shipping, so I'll have to wait at least a month.

If you don't want to invest that much, any soft flame butane lighter will do, ie BIC.

I can't recommend a Zippo. Even with Zippo fluid, you can taste it.

Ignacio
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Yeah I've seen the Corona Old Boys and I can't afford that much for a lighter lol. I'd love to have one but yikes.

I've been using a BIC lighter, sometimes with the RAW hemp wick sort of lights like a candle but you can been the wick to fit into the bowl. Normally though I've just used a BIC and tried to avoid lighting my thumb on fire.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

Yes, I hear you.
    Currently I'm using a cheap Honest pipe lighter. It's not perfect (a charge doesn't last for long, and sometimes it won't light on first try), but it wont burn your thumb.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the burning thumb is really annoying. Although if my father is with me he usually yells "Flame on!" like I'm the human torch or something.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. spartan99

spartan99

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had good luck with Jetline angled flame lighters. They're also relatively inexpensive. The biggest downside I've found is their very small reservoir. Xikar makes a lighter in this style called the Resource. It's more stylish, more substantial in the hand, and holds a respectable amount of fuel. It's also twice the price of the Jetlines.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Old Boy is great inside, but not out. The best bets are a Zippo or vintage Nimrod, which are lighter fluid based, or a cheap butane right angle lighter, like a this JetLine. I also like the disposable Linse Lighters, which are available on eBay and Iwan Ries (about $1-$3, depending upon order quantity). None are perfect. The lighter fluid based lighters evaporate fuel very fast. The Jetline might not be that reliable, but I've had mine for a couple years and it has been solid, but I use it infrequently, mostly because I have a lot of lighters laying around.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know people that swear by DJeep lighters.

I like the class and traditional look of the Old Boy lighters. IM Corona has some around $110 and Kiribi I think has some down around $80. I found a Vector one a while back for around $30 I think. I’ve used them outside and in a brisk wind yeah they can be trouble to relight the pipe.

Jon David from the Country Squire swears by matches. If he’s outside it’s a Zippo if he’s inside it’s matches only.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jon David from the Country Squire swears by matches. If he’s outside it’s a Zippo if he’s inside it’s matches only.

Sound advice from a nice fellow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with matches. In the past year the biggest change to my pipe ritual has been using matches as much as possible.

However, I LOVE my Xikar Scribe lighters! They are very friendly on the rims of the pipes and you can adjust the flame to any level desired. I have two of them now and use them all the time.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've been doing some research on lighters, and the IM Corona Old Boy seems like a good choice.

Just don't drop it.

I can't recommend a Zippo. Even with Zippo fluid, you can taste it.

Never have.

vintage Nimrod

Yep.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Mostly I just use a BIC, or matches. S. T. Dupont makes a nice lighter.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

I don't sweat it, just use whatever is handy. I have Bics all over the place, cost less than 50 cents. I always carry a Zippo, great outdoors. On my smoking table in the TV room is a charcoal lighter with a flexible long snout.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone has their preferred flame source

For me, its whatever is closest when I'm indoors. Zippo, Bic, matches. Outdoors, its always a Zippo, I just can't deal with the wind any other way.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use a Zippo, and yes there are some evap issues, especially if you pipe 3 or 4 times a month like I do. I've heard of coating the inner insert with petroleum jelly helps this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, let's put it this way, many years ago I discovered there was such a thing as pipe discussion boards when I was googling to find out why I have no luck with lighters. Lighters may be purty but reliability-wise, wooden matches can't be beat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take your pick but I generally stick to matches myself at all times. You'll most likely find me outside my office, standing in a corner, cussing like a sailor after firing 3 matches most days, when I step outside. Even when there's hardly any wind, so I'm in the market for one myself. I really do like the concept of these:

The first of which I discovered in a Tinder Box in Durham, but they were fetching about $65 easy. Might pick one of these up myself off Amazon at some point, just because I like the idea that I can pack my bowl, step outside and have everything with me I need with just my pipe and lighter.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I've been looking at those as well. I saw a butane soft flame lighter in the style of the Old Boy but made by Mr. Brog. It comes with a built in tamper but the reviews are mixed, but then again every lighter I've seen has mixed reviews.

I may try one off Amazon, at least one I know can be returned if it doesn't work or I don't like it. I'd love to use matches all the time but there's always a breeze it seems and the lady of the house does not like me to smoke indoors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the lady of the house does not like me to smoke indoors.

Mine would probably not have a problem with it at all, but I choose not to personally. I don't plan to live in the house I own right now forever and would like to sell it one day. I've done a lot of remodel work in my life and know all too well the effects smoking indoors can have on a house. It soaks into the paint, carpets, pretty much everywhere, so I try to keep it all outside all the time just for that reason. Won't really be a nice selling point if you walk in and smell smoke, even if it's very slight.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hear plasma jet lighters are good but I haven't bought one (yet). BICs are OK if you're careful of your thumb. At the moment I've got a nice inexpensive black Imco that's gotten knocked around, beaten around, & GOK what-all else & keeps on ticking, & that's good enough for me.

Zippo or Nimrod? Well, let's put it this way -- light my pipe with charcoal starter? "I don't think so, Tim."

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

By and large, I use Bics. Of course, before I got to that stage I had to try all sorts of "pipe" lighter.

Tip the bowl a bit, hold the lighter straight up and ... never a singed thumb.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

maker

Login to Send PM

sarome pipe lighters are good quality and cheap ($20-$40). Spending over $100 on a butane lighter is a gamble since they can easily break. Never buy an old butane lighter unless you are planning to repair it. The seals always go after a few years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

briarbuda48

Login to Send PM

I have five different pipe lighters. The Kiribi is the best one I own. It has flint ignition and the fuel capacity is outstanding.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I really wish I still had is a wonderful old Colibri that clipped to a shirt pocket & had a built-in tamper (& yeah, I know these days you can get that *&* essentially a Czech tool built in). Tons of stellar karma in that old critter. But buy a used one today? Nup, for exactly the reason maker said -sigh-

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

I'm looking at the Kiribi brand lighters and they seem to be of high quality.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This makes me miss Haja.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve had a Kiribi for a year or so and I love it. I’d go so far as to say I like it better than a corona. Never any issues, solid and effective. Looks nice too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone have anything to say about IMCO lighters?

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. smokeydogg

smokeydogg

Login to Send PM

I got my Xikar as a gift and I like it a lot. The lifetime warranty is a nice plus.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, the IMCO is a great lighter and it comes with a spare flint.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to get nearly a year or so with my IMCOs. Loved 'em. Typical butanes though, wouldn't handle a lot of use, didn't like riding around in lint filled pockets, the usual.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see some are liquid filled, not butane. What fluid do you use in them? Zippo?

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sarome pipe lighters are good quality and cheap ($20-$40). Spending over $100 on a butane lighter is a gamble since they can easily break.

The better made the lighter, the less likely to break. I have a Xicar, two Kabutos, and a genuine Old Boy (IM Corona, that is). They all give fine service. BICs are fine, too, but some like well made accoutrements. (Not knocking Sarome, of which I have zero knowledge)

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I e been using a Vertigo for the past year almost exclusively. It’s a great lighter. Cost me $35 here in Canada. If it last more than a year at that price I am happy. It also has the built in pipe tools that do come in handy from time to time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kiribi Mikazuki here. It's been great. For the last three weeks I used nothing but matches and a Bic as I was traveling and didn't want to risk having my Kiribi confiscated by some overzealous airport security guard. I had seen the tipping the pipe to light trick on a youtube video earlier and I used that with the Bic and even the matches with good results. I did burn my finger with the Bic once or twice but that was because of wind.

I also have a Zippo for pipes, but I am also one of those who don't smoke every day, and the fuel does evaporate like my savings.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started a lighter thread a while back and got a lot of great input.

I started with matches and Bics. Then I got this promotional Jetline which is cheap, but perpetually out of stock.

The first one gave me a few months of service and then quit. It still has spark and gas, but they don't care to meet up for some reason. I like the form factor so much that I bought another one. SO far, it is working well.

I recently became infatuated with the Kiribi Kubuto and almost ordered one on several occasions.

Last Thursday, at my B&M, I decided to give them the business and picked up the Xikar Scribe that npod pictured above.

Too soon for me to offer any review, but it sure is an attractive bugger. With the discount the B&M offers the Pipe Club, it was only $5 difference. The "lifetime warranty" they offer did tilt the scale a bit.

Do try to get to a B&M that offers several brands. Getting to hold them in person may help you make up your mind. Ergonomics are personal and hard to get from a website.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I think I'll wait until I can make a trip up to a known pipe shop and see what they have. Until then I'll just stick to matches and bics. Although I do have a zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert. It's a soft flame but it likes to try and burn the top of the bowl a lot of the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a plan to me!

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do have a zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert. It's a soft flame but it likes to try and burn the top of the bowl a lot of the time.

Hold the flame a bit further away and draw the tip of the flame near the tobacco. The super heated air beyond the tip provides ideal ignition temp and won't scorch the rim.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Hold the flame a bit further away and draw the tip of the flame near the tobacco. The super heated air beyond the tip provides ideal ignition temp and won't scorch the rim.

I will try that, thank you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Scribe get's the most service.. I have an Old Boy that comes out for special occasions. I use to keep Bics all over the place cars, desk, deck, etc.. But, have switch to these $1 each at Dollar Tree.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use Zippos exclusively. I love them. I use them with the 'normal' insert.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. mnewb1

mnewb1

Login to Send PM

I’ve been using a zippo with a pipe insert...so far it works very well

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's pretty much always a Bic with me but I do end up with a burnt thumb often. Always liked the look of Kiribi though

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just picked this one up today. I was only wanting something to light my pipe with when it's windy at the office. I liked this one for the nostalgia and because it was showing a little piece of North Carolina history.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Zippo's always been good for brand or personal artistry -- like it. I still don't care much for petrol taste but the butane insert might be a decent workaround if I find a case to my liking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's my thinking too. I really liked this case and will see about buying the insert for it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That's my thinking too. I really liked this case and will see about buying the insert for it.

Not necessary. Older Zippo instruction guides showed how to modify it for pipe use. Pull the wick up until the tip is just slightly higher than the chimney, and you're good to go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

Thunderbird makes a butane pipe insert for zippos as well. Just saw one advertised on Amazon which I am now seriously considering. I don't care for the normal zippo inserts as they evaporate so quickly and the taste they leave is just horrible to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been mainly using Old Boy's and the Pipemaster line. However, they all fail eventually and need to be serviced and this is the main reason why I went back to using matches. The problem with torch lighters is I have seen them fry the interior of the bowl after repeated use.

I am seriously thinking about getting my Zippo back out for outdoor use as Old Boys are not really good if there is a breeze going. If you let the flame burn on the Zippo for a few seconds before lighting the bowl, you can negate most of the taste from the fluid.

My wife bought me a Zippo with a pipe insert about 20 years ago. Aside from the occasional cleaning and replacing of the wick, it has never let me down, something I cannot say about the more expensive lighters. I've got 4 Old Boy and 2 Pipemaster that need serviced and with the exception of the one I dropped, the others have worn out from use over time.
    Arango wants $35 per lighter now for servicing so it is getting expensive. Plus the black matte finish wears off over time if kept in a pocket.

Stay away from Colibri. Have seen too many of these returned within days or weeks of purchase. I would also recommend staying away from the Xicar clone of the Old Boy. Their flint tubes are not secure and I had to return several because the post kept breaking in my pocket. They have a lifetime warranty, but after the third one I gave up. Nothing else in my pocket either.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  51. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

the one I dropped

I dropped my Old Boy one time, and it no longer holds fuel. My Zippos and Bics have taken a beating and are no worse for wear. I wont send the OB in for repair as it would likely get dropped again, and again would be out the repair cost. Damage a Zippo, and they fix it for free. A Zippo I've had since the early '90s has only needed fuel and flints, and still works like new.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks f/t tip on the fuel, MrE. I may try that when I see a Zippo I like. Colibri must've gone way downhill since I got out of the business; they used to be really good. I had three I used depending on whether I was working in the store, more dressed up, or wearing a shirt w/o a pocket. Never had a lick of trouble with Amy of them. Pocket lint can be a problem, of course, but a nice piezo spark would usually fix that. }:)

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I love my bic and matches. Cheap yet sturdy. While travelling a lot, if it's lost, I can grab another one without remorse

Adhie was here
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For traveling on public trans- planes, trains and busses, ferries and jitney cabs, absolutely. But there's much pleasure at home and in the car to pick up a good looking lighter that works well. One's mileage will vary.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

I love my Corona Old Boys. IMHO I don't think you can go wrong with one of those.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

+1 for Kiribi Mikazuki

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

I have a newer colibri.

Very meh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just to beat this again, I have no issues with my pipe Zippo except for all the fluid that seems to evaporate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

>>"newer colibri. Very meh." -- That's sad, BP. So many once-classy brands seem to have gone crap. What happened, Cadogan buy them? [VERY evyl snark GBD/Comoy joke, sorry!]

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a Colibri flame thrower in Paris as a souvenir two years ago. It's just fine, but I use it only on relights- takes a fraction of a second.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

gesufal

Login to Send PM

I got myself an Old Boy Chinese replica for like 10$ (shipping included) from Aliexpress and it has been working just fine for a few months now

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. mwsmoker

mwsmoker

Login to Send PM

My Old Boy has been going strong for 18 years now, and I know I paid less than $100 new. I have a pipe Zippo that I use on really windy days, but light to moderate wind can be managed with the Old Boy and some practice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

+1 on the scribe
    Great little lighter and very soft flame
    Has yet to let me down

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. ccdeere

Cthulhus Song

Login to Send PM

I've got a 4th Generation pipe lighter which I love, but for some reason can't get a new flint to fit. Any suggestions?

I'm a fire, burning higher, trying to burn the Sun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Clean/clear the flint tube & try again. Any "zippo" style flint should work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. ccdeere

Cthulhus Song

Login to Send PM

Thanks, will give it a go again. May turn my energy to some old lighters I have from my grandfather though,

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. ccdeere

Cthulhus Song

Login to Send PM

balkisobrains, thanks for the tip. Worked like a charm.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any chance of photos of your heirloom lighters?

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. ccdeere

Cthulhus Song

Login to Send PM

I'll post some in the future. Not home atm.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

I use a soft flam BBQ lighter I bought from Costco. You know, the ones it's the flexible, long reach end.
    $6 for 3 of them.
    Never ever had a problem, works every time, and I leave one everywhere I smoke.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ron123, cshubhra, lloydcole, clickklick, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey