PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
sarome pipe lighters are good quality and cheap ($20-$40). Spending over $100 on a butane lighter is a gamble since they can easily break. Never buy an old butane lighter unless you are planning to repair it. The seals always go after a few years.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I have five different pipe lighters. The Kiribi is the best one I own. It has flint ignition and the fuel capacity is outstanding.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
What I really wish I still had is a wonderful old Colibri that clipped to a shirt pocket & had a built-in tamper (& yeah, I know these days you can get that *&* essentially a Czech tool built in). Tons of stellar karma in that old critter. But buy a used one today? Nup, for exactly the reason maker said -sigh-

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
I'm looking at the Kiribi brand lighters and they seem to be of high quality.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’ve had a Kiribi for a year or so and I love it. I’d go so far as to say I like it better than a corona. Never any issues, solid and effective. Looks nice too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
sarome pipe lighters are good quality and cheap ($20-$40). Spending over $100 on a butane lighter is a gamble since they can easily break.
The better made the lighter, the less likely to break. I have a Xicar, two Kabutos, and a genuine Old Boy (IM Corona, that is). They all give fine service. BICs are fine, too, but some like well made accoutrements. (Not knocking Sarome, of which I have zero knowledge)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I e been using a Vertigo for the past year almost exclusively. It’s a great lighter. Cost me $35 here in Canada. If it last more than a year at that price I am happy. It also has the built in pipe tools that do come in handy from time to time.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Kiribi Mikazuki here. It's been great. For the last three weeks I used nothing but matches and a Bic as I was traveling and didn't want to risk having my Kiribi confiscated by some overzealous airport security guard. I had seen the tipping the pipe to light trick on a youtube video earlier and I used that with the Bic and even the matches with good results. I did burn my finger with the Bic once or twice but that was because of wind.
I also have a Zippo for pipes, but I am also one of those who don't smoke every day, and the fuel does evaporate like my savings.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I started a lighter thread a while back and got a lot of great input.
I started with matches and Bics. Then I got this promotional Jetline which is cheap, but perpetually out of stock.
The first one gave me a few months of service and then quit. It still has spark and gas, but they don't care to meet up for some reason. I like the form factor so much that I bought another one. SO far, it is working well.
I recently became infatuated with the Kiribi Kubuto and almost ordered one on several occasions.
Last Thursday, at my B&M, I decided to give them the business and picked up the Xikar Scribe that npod pictured above.
Too soon for me to offer any review, but it sure is an attractive bugger. With the discount the B&M offers the Pipe Club, it was only $5 difference. The "lifetime warranty" they offer did tilt the scale a bit.
Do try to get to a B&M that offers several brands. Getting to hold them in person may help you make up your mind. Ergonomics are personal and hard to get from a website.
jay-roger.jpg

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I think I'll wait until I can make a trip up to a known pipe shop and see what they have. Until then I'll just stick to matches and bics. Although I do have a zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert. It's a soft flame but it likes to try and burn the top of the bowl a lot of the time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do have a zippo with a Thunderbird butane insert. It's a soft flame but it likes to try and burn the top of the bowl a lot of the time.
Hold the flame a bit further away and draw the tip of the flame near the tobacco. The super heated air beyond the tip provides ideal ignition temp and won't scorch the rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.