Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Bag Stolen

(31 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by billinsfl
  • Latest reply from baronsamedi
  1. billinsfl

billinsfl

Login to Send PM

I had my Gloredo pipe pouch stolen last night at the bus stop near Ft Lauderdale. Three punks were going to try and jump me. I didn't let them (walked into a restaurant) but one of them ran up behind me and stole my Gloredo pipe bag and Kaywoodie Relief Grain pipe. They never touched me, and got nothing else. It was little scary when it happened, and I miss my stuff. I've tried to use good sense when out in the world, and this was a wakeup call for me. I am going to get a concealed carry permit and start carrying a .44 SW Special when it makes sense to do so.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Make sure you familiarize yourself with the rules of concealed carry, and definitely consider taking a class (or classes) on firearms/defensive shooting.
    Even if you're familiar with guns, the classes will go a long way.
    Sorry to hear about your experience, but the truth is its just not safe anywhere anymore.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear that and the odds were not in your favor and you did the right thing in this situation, a pipe bag in not worth injury or your life.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. seanz

seanz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sucks. At least thats all they took though

New Zealand
    Peter Piper.
    Give me the weed, the fragrant weed, My wearied brain to calm; In a wreath of smoke, while I crack my joke, I'll find a healing balm.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a hell of a place to start for less than $20
    http://tiny.cc/gockz
    Massad Ayoob is really a professional and the book deals with everything from the nuts and bolts (holsters, carry positions) to the legal aspects (he's often an expert witness in self defense cases) to the psychology of an attack and making the decision to pull the trigger.
    Cant recommend it enough to anyone who carries.

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

start carrying a .44 SW Special when it makes sense to do so.

which would be any time it is legal.

I have a .44 Special Charter Arms Pug. Fine weapon.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. cyndi

cyndi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ugh! There's a special place in hell for those asswipes.

My Dad always open carries due to dirtbags. His faves are a 9 mm Kimper and a S&W .38. He also keeps a sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip in his trunk. He's never had to use any of them, but his bulldog face and a weapon on his hip turns punks saying "what you gonna do old man?" into young men saying "yes sir." (My sister attracts everything that moves and he has to discourage the pushy ones quite often.)

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back! Wife or no, you are no one's property to be tossed aside. You got the right same as anyone to live and try to kill people.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  8. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"start carrying a .44 SW Special when it makes sense to do so.

which would be any time it is legal."

Port is right. If you decide to carry for self defense, then CARRY.

If you tell yourself you will carry "when I need it" you are engaging in nonsense. Obviously, if you KNEW you were going to need a firearm for self-defense is you went to a certain place at a certain time, your wouldn't GO there then. Rather, you equip yourself to defend yourself (and the firearm is only one leg of a three-legged stool; the other two are mindset and training) and you ensure that you are equipped everywhere you legally can be. Any other approach and you are turning the weapon into a magical talisman that you believe can ward off evil.

Florida is an excellent state with respect to CCW restrictions -- there are very few. If you decide to take responsibility for your own safety, then don't abdicate that responsibility to any extent, anywhere you are not required to.

You might find this blog post helpful:
    Mindset is the first among equals

Posted 7 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Man that sucks! I'm glad you are ok!! Two years ago when I was visiting a friend in Memphis, two punks got me cornered. Well I wasn't about to give them a damn thing. One of them grew some balls and thought he would knock me down. The punk hit me on the chin with all he had, when all I did was give him a chit eatin grin they both turned tail and ran. I guess my 6'2", 220 lb frame was more than they cared to mess with!!

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about your experience and glad to hear you escaped without bodily harm.

I don't recommend a gun. At least give yourself lots of time to cool down before thinking about it. Anger and guns are a bad combination.

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. markw4mms

markw4mms

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I'm just glad you weren't harmed in any way. I have first hand experience with this being held up at gunpoint in a parking lot once myself, it is a very frightening experience.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

I never mentioned it on here, but about a week ago, I was involved in an incident where I had to draw my weapon to deter a strong-arm robbery. I believe 100% in the right to carry and the right to defend your life or property by any means necessary.

Just remember to do it all legit. Get the best training you can and familiarize yourself with your weapon as much as possible. Also remember that with the use or threat of deadly force, you carry upon yourself a terrible and serious responsibility, both to yourself and the world around you. Deadly force is not a universal answer or balm for a bruised ego and it does not in and of itself equal self-defense. Always remember "murder" and "self-defense" are not idealogical terms. they are LEGAL terms, as in you're goin' to court.

Mas Ayoob writes some great stuff as does Marc MacYoung. I wish you the best of luck!

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. macnutz

macnutz

Login to Send PM

If you are going to carry be sure to get some training/practice. Something beyond shooting at a bulls eye from twenty five yards. Most fatal hand gun shootings happen within seven yards. Response needs to be trained or it may be clumsy and hesitant at the worst time. It's hard to train for the physiological effects of panic and the extreme fear natural to such situations.

The more competent and confident you are, the less likely you are to use it inappropriately and the more likely you will be effective if you must use it.

I feel no need for a pistol where I live now but if I returned to live in the States again, a pistol and permits would be at the top of my things to do agenda.

It really is better to have it a not need it than to need it and not have it.

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

It really is better to have it a not need it than to need it and not have it.

+1 to that.

So far, I've been lucky. In the last incident, simply being confronted with an armed citizen was enough to neutralize the threat. No shots needed. I know personally 2 people who have killed someone in justifiable shootings and I don't envy either of them, but had I not been armed and had I settled it with my fists instead, I could have actually gotten into trouble with the law and faced an investigation, rather than having the police on my side, simply because of the way the Castle Doctrines work in my state. I also would have risked bringing my fists to a gunfight had he been armed (I never found out, because I had the drop on him and he didn't even try).

Posted 7 years ago #
  15. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry that happened to you.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 7 years ago #
  16. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear about Your pipe bag that sucks.

Trust Me! Shooting someone = someone dies fast and someone dies the rest of their life.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 7 years ago #
  17. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shooting someone = someone dies fast and someone dies the rest of their life

Sobering words there ace.

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 7 years ago #
  18. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Yep. Spot on, Ace. Even though it can be justified in the courts, you won't be able to erase that image from your brain. I've seen guys do themselves in trying exactly that.

Posted 7 years ago #
  19. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Ditto what the baron and ace57 said. Consider that you may be justified in using deadly force, but it may be cheaper to give-up
    50 bucks and your library card than to pay the defense lawyers at both your criminal and civil trials.
    Glad things worked out for you.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 7 years ago #
  20. juni

juni

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe you won't have to shoot, just pulling it out could be a deterrent. If I lived in a country where it was easier to get a gun license I would get one for sure.

Posted 7 years ago #
  21. hobojoe

Joe2shoes

Login to Send PM

What else can you say? Luck was with you. The guy who stole your stuff
    already had that action in mind. How fast can you turn and draw ? A
    fleeing subject is not self defence. I would like to Carry all the time,
    own 10 acres of wooded land that i use to hunt all the time.Surrounding
    new house developments around on all sides made me think what happens after
    after the lead leaves the barrel. Same in public areas
    As said hot blood and guns do not work and if your hands were shaking than
    forget it. Beware of your surroundings at all times and train your ears to pick
    out of place noises.
    Joe

Posted 7 years ago #
  22. atuukson

atuukson

Login to Send PM

:wink:rass knuckles, mace or a stungun will do the trick aswell no?

The Swede

Snus and Pipe smoking <3
    Posted 7 years ago #
  23. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think the suggestion is to shoot to kill over a kaywoodie and some loose tobacco.

Rather, the realization has come to someone that there are individuals "out there" who will do harm, serious harm, over "a kaywoodie and some loose tobacco".

These individuals looked for a victim and found one. They used the advantage of numbers and the element of surprise to achieve their goal. If 'standard resistance" would have been employed by our fellow member (yelling, not letting them have the bag, his wallet, watch, etc.), the likelihood is that they would have employed violence against him. This could have been anything from a simple beating (if a beating can be simple at the fists and boots of 3 thugs) to use of a weapon of their own.

It used to be, in these discussions, that it was difficult to prove to folks who just didn't care to hear it, that thse things were true. No all one has to do is spend an hour browsing youtube and liveleak to come away with dozens of filmed incidents. People literally minding their own business and being violently attacked.

I am fortunate enough to get to work daily with criminals. Many of them violent opportunists. It comes as no surprise to me that things like this happen. It happens in prison. Why would it not happen more "in the world"?

The next situation one might run into is the thugs approaching the member and his wife and/or kids. That is actually a very favorable situation for the thugs. After all, who will risk their wife and kids safety? Only you add in a bit of intoxication, a bit of anger, and a complete lack of consequential thinking (all very common elements, you understand) and pretty soon you have an assault on the man so that the thugs can prove the alpha male bit in front of the woman, maybe a beat down on the woman if she is lucky, or a sexual assault if she is not.

And for those of us who think that, due to size or training, that they are a physical fighting match for 2 or 4 assailants who do this very thing on a common basis.....well.....I can only hope you really are.

For the rest of us mortals who plan on defending "us and ours", the basic use of a defensive firearm is a right that Citizens typically enjoy, and Subjects are typically confused about.

On a very personal note, speaking only for myself, I really do not like those folks who say or imply that when violence comes knocking that they suggest "you do little to nothing other than comply". Mostly because if it happens in both of our company, "your" expectation will suddenly become that "I" will take care of everything for you, and if I am successful, you will then become the biggest advocate for the assailants against me.

IN summation, no I do not think any person should be shot for loose change. But if they plan on beating me down to access that loose change, they should be.

And, if it is true that if you shoot someone is justified self defense and you deal with psychological issues, I can only wonder about the psychological issues you would forever deal with for letting a thug assault a loved one, or even yourself, while you stood back and offered platitudes and pleadings for it to stop, and had nothing else to bring to the game.

Posted 7 years ago #
  24. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every word written by Portacast above is precisely true -- whether you like it or not.

I have written extensively on the subject (and some toher topics) here: Suburban Sheepdog Blog

It is tragically sad that we now live in an age so many adult men are so utterly ignorant or deluded about this topic. It borders on the criminal that so many, who are charged by God and nature with the the nondelegable responsibility for taking care of themselves and their families, simply refuse to be educated out of that ignorance.

Posted 7 years ago #
  25. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

portascat, I like your spirit, and I agree with you on both the emotional and intellectual level; but given the current social climate, our position just isn't practical.

Posted 7 years ago #
  26. macnutz

macnutz

Login to Send PM

One of the reasons that I advocate a lot of training and practice is so that you, not your emotional state, is in control of the situation in which a firearm might come out. Your brain is your first and most important weapon. It needs training just as the body requires it.

The idea of shooting someone over an object does not bring me joy but neither will I allow myself to be beaten, injured, and perhaps killed for another person's greed, ego, or drug habit. Neither would I allow such to happen to my wife. I would rather deal with it in court or on the shrink's couch than from the morgue or the hospital.

Re using a gun for threatening purposes. You should NEVER make a threat with a weapon you are not prepared to use. The chances are very good you will be on the receiving end of that weapon, if you do use it as an empty threat. The person you are dealing with may not have what you think is a normal response to the appearance of a weapon. He might want that pistol more than he originally wanted your wallet.

Posted 7 years ago #
  27. tabriar

TAB

Login to Send PM

That really sucks. I'm glad you're okay, but it's too bad you weren't able to escape with all your belongings. They probably tried to use it to smoke some of their stash, and once they realized not all pipes are the same, ditched it. Punks...

Posted 7 years ago #
  28. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forget who said this regarding professional training, but its absolutely true;
    During an attack you won't miraculously rise to the level of the situation, you will fall to the level of your training.

Posted 7 years ago #
  29. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Here are some interesting and practical websites that focus on crime readiness and criminal psychology. The war against crime in your neighborhood relies on you being able to think realistic about what is happening to you and what you can do to avoid the dumb mistake you made that turned you down that road. Criminals pick certain people for a reason. Even in times I was justified, 99% of the time there was something I could have done differently.

These sites are fun, anyway. Check them Out.

Rate Your Risk

Who is Robbing You (Marc MacYoung's Site)

Posted 7 years ago #
  30. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear you're allright. Look at it this way. Someday those poor guys/gals/kids will pick on the wrong person and might not come out the other end allright. Pray they see the error of thier ways and quit thier shit before they get hurt or hurt someone else.

I tend to be equally suspicious of all people. It can be a scary would out there no matter where you live. So know your rights and do what you think is best. Follow some of the sage advice above and you should do just fine.

I carry a big ass pocket knife more for utility than for protection, but it will absolutely serve both jobs well. Living in Texas myself me and my wife should be proud gun owners here in the next couple of years. It's more in the back of our minds at the moment, but definately something we plan on doing.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  31. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Where do you live, Spartan? I'm in North Texas and I love guns and gun shopping. I can tell you where to get a deal or even training, CHL etc. if that's what you're looking for. If you're close enough we can have a bowl and talk about things that go bang.

Posted 7 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cossackjack, hoosierpipeguy, oldgeezersmoker, philobeddoe, ebnash