PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I had my Gloredo pipe pouch stolen last night at the bus stop near Ft Lauderdale. Three punks were going to try and jump me. I didn't let them (walked into a restaurant) but one of them ran up behind me and stole my Gloredo pipe bag and Kaywoodie Relief Grain pipe. They never touched me, and got nothing else. It was little scary when it happened, and I miss my stuff. I've tried to use good sense when out in the world, and this was a wakeup call for me. I am going to get a concealed carry permit and start carrying a .44 SW Special when it makes sense to do so.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Make sure you familiarize yourself with the rules of concealed carry, and definitely consider taking a class (or classes) on firearms/defensive shooting.

Even if you're familiar with guns, the classes will go a long way.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but the truth is its just not safe anywhere anymore.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
This is a hell of a place to start for less than $20

http://tiny.cc/gockz

Massad Ayoob is really a professional and the book deals with everything from the nuts and bolts (holsters, carry positions) to the legal aspects (he's often an expert witness in self defense cases) to the psychology of an attack and making the decision to pull the trigger.

Cant recommend it enough to anyone who carries.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Ugh! There's a special place in hell for those asswipes.
My Dad always open carries due to dirtbags. His faves are a 9 mm Kimper and a S&W .38. He also keeps a sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip in his trunk. He's never had to use any of them, but his bulldog face and a weapon on his hip turns punks saying "what you gonna do old man?" into young men saying "yes sir." (My sister attracts everything that moves and he has to discourage the pushy ones quite often.)

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Bloody Nora, bad enough that you guys have baccy cheaper than peanuts, but y'all can git around carryin' guns - never ceases to amaze us lot, and make me as jealous as hell.

You have zero free health b'coz of cheaper than cheap booze & cigs, squirrels, deer, gangs & guns - what more could anyone want for!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
"start carrying a .44 SW Special when it makes sense to do so.

which would be any time it is legal."
Port is right. If you decide to carry for self defense, then CARRY.
If you tell yourself you will carry "when I need it" you are engaging in nonsense. Obviously, if you KNEW you were going to need a firearm for self-defense is you went to a certain place at a certain time, your wouldn't GO there then. Rather, you equip yourself to defend yourself (and the firearm is only one leg of a three-legged stool; the other two are mindset and training) and you ensure that you are equipped everywhere you legally can be. Any other approach and you are turning the weapon into a magical talisman that you believe can ward off evil.
Florida is an excellent state with respect to CCW restrictions -- there are very few. If you decide to take responsibility for your own safety, then don't abdicate that responsibility to any extent, anywhere you are not required to.
You might find this blog post helpful:

Mindset is the first among equals

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Sorry to hear about your experience and glad to hear you escaped without bodily harm.
I don't recommend a gun. At least give yourself lots of time to cool down before thinking about it. Anger and guns are a bad combination.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I'm just glad you weren't harmed in any way. I have first hand experience with this being held up at gunpoint in a parking lot once myself, it is a very frightening experience.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I never mentioned it on here, but about a week ago, I was involved in an incident where I had to draw my weapon to deter a strong-arm robbery. I believe 100% in the right to carry and the right to defend your life or property by any means necessary.
Just remember to do it all legit. Get the best training you can and familiarize yourself with your weapon as much as possible. Also remember that with the use or threat of deadly force, you carry upon yourself a terrible and serious responsibility, both to yourself and the world around you. Deadly force is not a universal answer or balm for a bruised ego and it does not in and of itself equal self-defense. Always remember "murder" and "self-defense" are not idealogical terms. they are LEGAL terms, as in you're goin' to court.
Mas Ayoob writes some great stuff as does Marc MacYoung. I wish you the best of luck!

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
If you are going to carry be sure to get some training/practice. Something beyond shooting at a bulls eye from twenty five yards. Most fatal hand gun shootings happen within seven yards. Response needs to be trained or it may be clumsy and hesitant at the worst time. It's hard to train for the physiological effects of panic and the extreme fear natural to such situations.
The more competent and confident you are, the less likely you are to use it inappropriately and the more likely you will be effective if you must use it.
I feel no need for a pistol where I live now but if I returned to live in the States again, a pistol and permits would be at the top of my things to do agenda.
It really is better to have it a not need it than to need it and not have it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It really is better to have it a not need it than to need it and not have it.
+1 to that.
So far, I've been lucky. In the last incident, simply being confronted with an armed citizen was enough to neutralize the threat. No shots needed. I know personally 2 people who have killed someone in justifiable shootings and I don't envy either of them, but had I not been armed and had I settled it with my fists instead, I could have actually gotten into trouble with the law and faced an investigation, rather than having the police on my side, simply because of the way the Castle Doctrines work in my state. I also would have risked bringing my fists to a gunfight had he been armed (I never found out, because I had the drop on him and he didn't even try).

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Sorry to hear about Your pipe bag that sucks.
Trust Me! Shooting someone = someone dies fast and someone dies the rest of their life.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yep. Spot on, Ace. Even though it can be justified in the courts, you won't be able to erase that image from your brain. I've seen guys do themselves in trying exactly that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto what the baron and ace57 said. Consider that you may be justified in using deadly force, but it may be cheaper to give-up

50 bucks and your library card than to pay the defense lawyers at both your criminal and civil trials.

Glad things worked out for you.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Maybe you won't have to shoot, just pulling it out could be a deterrent. If I lived in a country where it was easier to get a gun license I would get one for sure.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
What else can you say? Luck was with you. The guy who stole your stuff

already had that action in mind. How fast can you turn and draw ? A

fleeing subject is not self defence. I would like to Carry all the time,

own 10 acres of wooded land that i use to hunt all the time.Surrounding

new house developments around on all sides made me think what happens after

after the lead leaves the barrel. Same in public areas

As said hot blood and guns do not work and if your hands were shaking than

forget it. Beware of your surroundings at all times and train your ears to pick

out of place noises.