PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazooloo

Lurker
Oct 19, 2014
Hello Friends,
I have a bit of a dilemma. I am in the process of filming a small independent film, but one of the scenes requires an actor smoking a pipe. The actor for this seen in not a smoker, and does not wish to smoke at all. I have dabbled in adding in smoke with CG, but i'm afraid it just looks stupid.
Are there are "prop" pipes that you may know of that have smoke or vapour coming out of the bowl, but do not have smoke going down the mouthpiece?

I would especially prefer an electronic one that generates smoke at the bowl with the push of a button.
Anyway, let me know if something like this exists. Thanks a lot for your time.
K

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You have several options here. The first would be to fire the actor unless under his contract he doesn't immediately take up pipe smoking! The other options would be to dip the bowl in liquid nitrogen so then when clenched in his teeth on stage it will have the appearance of smoking. You might have to keep his fingers away from the pipe as they become super cooled and then snap off. I suppose you could always put some talcum powder in the pipe and add a ball of paper so that when he blows down the stem it gives the effect of smoke!

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
The actor could hold the pipe in his mouth and not smoke. It would give the apperance of smoking. You might want to use a new pipe so there is no tobacco present.
John

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Something like this? Buy some vape liquid without nicotine in it.
https://vaporizerlot.com/old-fashion-smoking-pipe-vaporizer-ep

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I've seen many old movies, and old T.V. series where the actor has a pipe, is supposedly smoking it, but it's not lit. 'My Three Son's' comes to mind. Other than that, screw the actor if he doesn't cooperate with what he is being paid for!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
If your project requires an actor to smoke a pipe it's really hard for me imagine an actor who won't do some research and make a few sacrifices for that part. A professional actor wouldn't hesitate, I would think, to actually smoke a pipe if it were part of the character.
I say get that guy off the set and find someone dedicated to his craft.
If that's not an option, I think phil67's response is a good one. Just make the pipe a hollow prop. The drawback here is that you will end up with just an actor holding a pipe, not an accurate depiction of a pipe smoker.
If your production budget allows, get the vape pipe that shoots blanks. Warn your actor he still might be susceptible to PAD sometime in the future.

Mar 1, 2014
If you explain proper pipe smoking technique (not inhaling), he might actually not mind so much, or with a stroke of good luck might like the idea.

Though I suppose given the typical environment "actors" work in these days he's probably almost completely lacking in discipline and logical thinking.
At least he shouldn't be terribly bothered to just stick it in his mouth while it's lit (while only breathing through his nose, I can imagine that not going over so well if you just stick it in his mouth and he tries to breath normally).

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Christian Bale shed 100lbs for his role in The Machinist. Daniel Day-Lewis sleeps on the set during filming. Tell Mr. Crabby pants to grow a pair and light up for the movie.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
Pipes you aren't inhaling...so what is the big deal. As an actor he can have some stranger's tongue in his mouth, but not a little smoke? I would think the former would be more risky.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
If you wanted vapour that looks like smoke I would be speaking to someone in a science lab, you may need to block the stem and chemicals may or may not be expensive.
Option two is to get a tobacco like Carter Hall that burns slowly and doesn't require a lot of relighting and have him draw it into his mouth and slowly release without inhaling as others have said. Who knows, he may enjoy Carter Hall, my sister hates pipes and I finally got her to taste Carter Hall from a cheap pipe, she inhaled and then hung onto the pipe for a few more puffs before she gave it back to me. Later she even had a Reeitmiester Moods cigar with me and she hates pipes and cigars. But my point is you just never know.

shur

Lurker
Oct 5, 2014
Is the actor an ex smoker who doesnt want to play around with the habit he worked hard to get rid of?

Do they have (or even worse have lost) friends/family to cancers currently associated with nicotene use?
Sure there a lots of examples of actors going to drastic measure for their role/craft but there are a whole lot more actors who dont have 7 digit paycheques.
Besides, say he "sucked it up" and smoked the pipe for the role. How authentic would it be if he's relighting every 3rd puff like the newbie he would be. If the character is supposed to be an experienced pipe smoker that e-pipe would probably provide the most realistic solution.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Your non-smoking actor is obviously not "hungry" enough for the role. If smoking is integral to the film get another actor if you cannot come to an accommodation. Unless he already has an "Oscar" and can put people in the seats you do not need the aggravation.

i8ball

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2014
here is an ideal have someone light up the pipe get it going then he can blow down the stem. but not to strongly you want it to look like he is not blowing down the steam so just enough for it to be seen easyer and have the look of him smoking.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
We are filming our TV series this time around with me pipe smoking. Of course, I'm the host and the star, lol, so it only makes sense that I'm the one smoking. However, if I had to find a way to light up, or use someone else, I know we would have the same problem. But, I don't have any patience, and since I'm the one calling the shots, I'd get someone else. It's either my way or the highway. Are you the producer, director? Do you have a casting director? Who's film is it? What I'm getting at is, who can make the decision to get someone else? If it's not you, it's a tough go.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
We we've done with "actors" that refuse to smoke a cigar or a pipe we edit someone else smoking. Usually it's a close up of the pipe or cigar, other times the shot is from behind the subject or we do a silhouette of someone smoking. If the "actor" is still giving you a hard time; let them know it's less movie time he'll have if he doesn't light a pipe or cigar. Or you could motivate the "actor" by showing him photos or videos of famouse actors who smoked on film to insire.

Status
Not open for further replies.