Peterson's Irish Flake: Review with Pictures.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
img_0003x-600x400.jpg

img_0004x-600x400.jpg

After discovering quite by chance that Rattray's Stirling Flake bore more than a passing resemblance to my tobacco of choice, the 'Mighty Condor' (both ready rubbed & flake) I started to read reviews of SF and found many folks comparing it to Peterson's Irish Flake. I had tried many Peterson blends (with very mixed feelings) but not IF so on my next order it was on top of the list.
In the square 50g tin one has two neatly stacked rows of thin flakes, very dark brown in colour intermingled with flecks of gold . The aroma is of leather and musky peat with the very slightest whiff of floral notes. Methinks I am going to enjoy this!
I rubbed out half of the flakes and aired them for a couple of hours afore loading a bent bulldog. Several char lights later the game was finally on. I immediately understood the comparisons twixt this and SF, to my untutored tastebuds they were pretty much one and the same blend though I thought the aforementioned 'slight' floral notes were more apparent in IF than in SF. Nice and creamy in texture and full of smoky flavours from the dark fired leaves I was really impressed. Many reviewers regard this blend as strong+ but I would place it twixt mild and medium though closer to medium. It is a robust blend but only in flavour and not overall strength. As for nicotine content I can only say I was never aware of it so perhaps it is medium in that regard.
That was a week or so ago and since then I have enjoyed several bowls of this gorgeous blend. As I write this I am sipping away on a largish bowled Peterson bent pot and loving every moment. I can only find one negative regards IF and that is whereas Condor manages to maintain its flavour throughout the bowl (as does Stirling Flake to some degree) the same cannot be said for IF. From mid bowl onwards IF loses much of that lovely slightly floral peaty earthiness and becomes a little sour. Not necessarily a nasty 'sour' more of a tangy bitterness associated with some other blends where it is regarded by some as a positive feature. No tongue bite at all and it leaves behind a small dollop of soggy dottle.
Peterson's Irish Flake is now part of that select group that is my five favourite blends but for how long?...There are so many blends out there yet for me to try. Not quite the 9/10 I would give my beloved Condor but not very far behind, I would give IF a well deserved 8/10. As for similarities to Stirling Flake I would say that SF just pips IF as the better of the two but I will be buying both regularly just for the slight differences they offer.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice review.
On the question of strength, I think it really depends on personal nicotine tolerance, which changes over time. When I first tried Irish Flake, I was blown away by the strength. I mean, I honestly didn't see how anyone could handle more than a tiny bowl of the stuff. But these days it strikes me as medium strength, not unlike Condor.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Pitchfork, perhaps I have something of an immunity to nicotine, if I do then I put it down to many years of strong RYO blends. However, a couple of days ago I had arrive some Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake and that really does have a nicotine kick. I (perhaps foolishly) smoked two bowls back to back and I was reeling! It is a stunning blend by the way, nice and deeply flavoured rather like Bold Kentucky but with brass balls.
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've yet to try Dark Flake, but it sounds great. I think the last time I put in an order, it was out of stock. Will have to keep an eye out for it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Pitchfork, if you wish to PM me your address I would be happy to post you a sample of G&H Dark Flake. Though my first lot only arrived a couple of days ago I have already ordered more. Not in the American sense of several pounds more but enough to keep me going a while :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Many of Rattray's newer blends are the exact recipes of Peterson's blends. It could be Sterling actually IS Irish Flake.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Eric, they are not exact copies but very close copies. I am no expert but having both IF and SF here at hand and smoked one after the other there most certainly is a difference, most noticeably in the very slight floral aroma/taste.
Regards,
Jay.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
An interesting note from tobaccoreviews.com under the review for Wallace Flake:
"Notes: After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake."
Even if they didn't tweak the blends a little I'd expect differences between 'exact' same versions of a recipe from two different blending houses. Just think about how the Dunhill blends have changed since Orlik took over production. And here's an expanded list compiled by our own Jiminks:
http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/peterson-tobaccos-under-rattrays-label.44672/
Very interesting! It's peculiar that the Rattray's versions are more expensive than the Peterson's.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Great review! I found Irish Flake overpowering the first time I smoked it, but I haven't touched it in a while. I'll have to return to it and see how the strength rates now, as most of what I've smoked for the last few months has been Gawith ropes and flakes, most of which are quite strong indeed.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Peterson's Irish Flake is now part of that select group that is my five favourite blends but for how long?
I could never imagine walking away from such an exquisite blend. I hope to always have some on hand. I love it!

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
The best Peterson blend I've tried. The rest were bloody aweful.
I think aot of people are real full time pipe smokers and just partake as a hobby, rather than a day to day thing, hence their sensativity to nictotine. And it's not even like this blend is even strong, medium at best.
Great review!
What's next on the do review list matey??

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Here is a side by side view of the flakes from both Irish Flake and Stirling Flake, not a huge difference to be seen but there is a most definite difference in the taste albeit a very minor one.
Irish Flake...
img_0004x-600x400.jpg

Stirling Flake...
2x-2-600x400.jpg

I suggest everyone tries both flakes and come to their own conclusions :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I think aot of people are real full time pipe smokers and just partake as a hobby, rather than a day to day thing, hence their sensativity to nictotine. And it's not even like this blend is even strong, medium at best.
This blend is one of the tastiest I've tried but it'll knock my socks off if I'm not careful.
Perhaps I fall into the hobbyist category. My grandfather would be chuffing of his cob from sun up to sun down and I don't remember him ever missing a day. Conversely, I may go an entire month without a bowl. A 15 bowl week would be awesome but I'm lucky to get in 5 at best, except in the rarest of circumstances.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Ah well that is my assumption! I smoke a large pipe 4-8 time a day.. no effect from even the strong twists or chugging a full bowl of nightcap in 15 minutes.
Sadly, heavy smoking does bring on blend boredom sooner. Right now I'm kind of meh about all the blends I have..
Less is more. ;)

Dec 24, 2012
I have a fair stash of Irish Flake put away, but it is all from several years ago when K&K made it. Another interesting comparison would be to compare that older Irish Flake to the new Irish Flake, on the one hand, and to Stirling Flake, on the other. One would have thought the old IF would be closer to SF than it is to the new IF.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The newer Irish flake, come to think of it, could be milder in nicotine than the old version. The old version was more pungent in terms of the dark fired tobacco, while the newer (post-2012?) is more plummy and slightly milder in taste. I like both quite a bit, but some Irish Flake fans prefer the older version.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sadly I came to pipe smoking too late (11 months ago) to enjoy many blends that are not now available in their original form. That said I am quite happy with what is available to me now though I would love to have tried the original Irish Flake. Another is Erinmore Flake, I've only had the pleasure of the current offering but hear many good words about the Murray version. My pal who gave me all his old pipes (he gave up 20 years ago) has an original 50g Murray tin but I feel he wants to hang onto it though he will never smoke it :cry:
Regards,
Jay.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I started what I believe was the first thread on this forum comparing Irish Flake with Stirling Flake. To my tastes, Stirling Flake is what IrFl tasted like when I first started smoking IrFl..first year of its production and in the smaller rectangular tins. Since the time K&K no longer had anything to do with Peterson's was when I noticed a difference with IrFl...not the same for me. I contacted Tom Palmer (head of Peterson's) and he assured me there had been no change and that IrFl has always been produced by STG. However, I reluctantly cracked open one of two tins I kept from the original run of IrFl and indeed find it virtually identical to Stirling Flake in taste and strength, so go figure! I know K&K sends out their flakes to be pressed by STG and always have done so, but they were producing the mix prior to pressing. Perhaps this is what Mr Palmer was referring to. And yes, StFl is a bit more expensive than IrFl, but I've noticed there are usually two more flakes in the Stirling tin over the IrFl tin. Still a bit of a mystery with no clear cut answers I'm afraid. I like them both and smoke them both on a regular basis and to me, there is a difference.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Doc, I read your review only today...what a coincidence! I am slowly working my way through old posts that sound interesting.
I have been smoking a lot of Gawith & Hoggarth 'Dark Flake' these last couple of days and it reminds me of both SF and IF only on steroids...bloody gorgeous tobacco :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.