Peterson's Irish Flake: Review with Pictures.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
18 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
12 Fresh Randy Wiley Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Yes Jay, G&H Dark Flake is surely in that category. You might want to try EA Carey's (UK site) Dark Flake No 7. I would place that one between Irish Flake and Stirling Flake, but closer to the Stirling. I find the No 7, IrFl, and StFl to be siblings from the same parentage. Happy puffing!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Doc, thanks for the pointer to Carey's DF#7, a new one to me. I did some hunting, read reviews and found their website. It is now added to my list.
Referring to your earlier post regarding Tom Palmer of Peterson Pipes, I would be careful of accepting what he says as gospel regards Peterson tobacco though I don't doubt he means well. As far as I understand it Peterson Pipes and Peterson Tobacco are two entirely different companies and as such might not be so willing to share sensitive information. That said I think we both agree SF and IF (as currently produced) are excellent smokes.
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Nice review Jay. Without adding to the IF-SF debate I find them the same but different. ..

:)

Interesting to note your comparison of IF to Condor. I smoke a fair bit of Condor RR and plug. I can't say I noticed it myself though.

On Erinmore flake I too was not lucky enough to smoke the Murrays, but I do enjoy the plug, which I have read is close to the original. So you may wish to try it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Oldreddog, the similarities to Condor I think is in the leatheriness of the aroma and taste.
As for Erinmore plug I may well have to try it out. First off though I want to try Condor plug. Not easy to find even here in the UK!
Regards,
Jay.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
It is a real shame about COndor plug not meeting Uk standards of packaging. I tried phoning around and even getting contacts in Ireland to send me some but no luck. Such a shame as RR and flake are one of my fave's.. :(

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
I really enjoy both Irish Flake and Sterling Flake. I agree that they are similar without being the same, like twins that look alike but have different personalities.
My one big beef with Irish Flake is that it tends to start going "flat" about mid-bowl. Stirling Flake doesn't seem to have such a problem with that, though the flavor does diminish somewhat.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Oldreddog that is most kind of you but as I am in the UK I hear the postage from the States can be pretty nasty. A very generous offer nonetheless and I thank you for it :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Samon, Condor ready rubbed and flake are available everywhere. I am assuming you are in the UK of course but I could be wrong...it has been known :wink:
"My one big beef with Irish Flake is that it tends to start going "flat" about mid-bowl."
Piffyr, my findings precisely!
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Jay I'm just to the right in Dublin :)

Samon if you need help getting Condor Plug let me know,I work close to the Peterston shop. Or this may help http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=80

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Oldreddog, Dublin eh? What a beautiful city you live in. I had the pleasure to visit the fair city in 1988, I have fond memories of Phoenix Park, the lovely old bars on Grafton Street with all original wood panelling and free newspapers to read. I met the band U2 in a club by the docks (The Edge was later to buy the club) where the lovely Guinness boats were moored...happy days :puffy:
We later travelled south as far as Kinsale, the most beautiful place I ever visited! The only rub I found in Ireland was the prices of alcohol, petrol & baccy...worse by far than England.
Regards,
Jay.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
U2 never heard of them ha ha. It's changed a bit since the 80'but still has that big village feel to it. If your ever in Dublin again I'll buy you a pint of dirty black porter :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
'Dirty Black Porter', well I've heard it called a lot of things but not that! Naturally I sampled much of the stuff over a two week period and every jar was perfect and so different to what is sold on tap here. I recall a tiny bar in a place called Capoquin (?) and their Guinness was by far the best.
Some years ago a pub landlord here in Cornwall sold me for cheap two crates of Guinness Extra or Export that weren't selling in his pub. I think it was something like 7% and my god it was gorgeous stuff. Never seen it since.
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Guinness Export -- yep, it's strong and definitely my favorite version of the black stuff. They sell it in the shops here in 330ml bottles. I don't know if they sell it in the UK, but it would be a sad irony if they only sold it domestically. :lol:

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Pitchford I saw what you done there :)

Jay Cappoquin in Waterford is a nice little town. I do enjoy the Guinness Export which was re-released some years ago to emulate the Guinness brewed in Nigeria.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
For the last couple of years I have been enjoying Shepherd Neame's India Pale Ale (bottled) from Asda. It's a full on 6.1% glass of lovliness, not a stout I know but a cracking ale nonetheless.
Thanks for the Cappoquin correction Oldreddog.
Regards,
Jay.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pitchfork, if you wish to PM me your address I would be happy to post you a sample of G&H Dark Flake. Though my first lot only arrived a couple of days ago I have already ordered more. Not in the American sense of several pounds more but enough to keep me going a while :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.
Thanks for the offer. I was in the process of moving back in August, but I just got some Dark Flake in yesterday (Stateside). It's great stuff -- reminds me a lot of Lakeland Dark, but with regular VAs added.

Status
Not open for further replies.