Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
A while back, someone posted a link to a site that looked like an official Peterson site, but the URL suggested otherwise. I can't find the original PM post, but on that page, was an image and description of a vape pipe:
29c9c343810973.57fe02bcd9236.jpg

There was a lot of speculation as to the validity of the page, so I emailed Peterson's, and today i received a response:
---------

Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 3:39 AM

To: -------

Cc: Conor Palmer

Subject: Vape pipe.
Dear Dan,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I can assure you that it is most definitely not a Peterson pipe and we are taking steps through our

lawyers to have this removed.
Thank you for supporting Peterson.
Kind regards,
Tom Palmer.
Tom Palmer

Managing Director

Kapp & Peterson Ltd.

Pearse Street, Sallynoggin

Co. Dublin, Ireland.

Company Registration No. 32027

Tel 353 1 2851011 Fax 353 1 2856593
------------

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tim, I thought that today would be a good time to roll back the veil of speculation, false representation, innuendo and straw man arguments.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Good effort.Peterson could do with a presence around here as a lot of opinions on the brand feature on the forum.

Behance is a website for conceptual design students in industrial design and arts. The website for the pipe is for the student to take the design and work through conceptually linking the design to the company's history. A student doesn't have to get permission from a company to make a design using their trademarks etc... Especially when the site is well known for being conceptual. This should just be seen as flattery for Peterson, IMO. The student did a great job.
If you look there are product designs for tons of different companies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
That's one of our favorite things! :wink: I do stand by my original assessment of the item itself, though- it's horrible looking.

May 4, 2015
Hope the poor fella doesn't get blindsided by some sort of C&D.
If this was a design project/thought experiment, it was probably out of a place of love.

Yeh, you make a Peterson Vape pipe design because you really respect and love the company, so you put your heart into it, really thinking it through. Then a guy on a forum that has a hard-on for vapes, because he's old and curmudgeony, and a heart full of hate and black tar vile, ha ha.. like all of us. He contacts the Peterson company, and the company that this students has poured so much love into... slaps a letter of C&D.
That would be great. Let's crush the dreams of our young and creative. :puffy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I am the agent of death. Or didn't you know that already, Michael? ;-)
BTW, the first thing that any design student should learn is the importance of intellectual property. The system of trademarks and copyrights were put in place to protect the kind of stuff that designers make their living from. This guy gets an "F" in a subject that he damn well needs to know if he ever expects to be successful. Imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery, it's theft.

May 4, 2015
Imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery, it's theft
True, but without the prospect of causing financial damage to the company you're emulating, it's not really theft is it? It's just a young Korean kid choosing a topic and hashing it out.

BTW, the first thing that any design student should learn is the importance of intellectual property. The system of trademarks and copyrights were put in place to protect the kind of stuff that designers make their living from. This guy gets an "F" in a subject that he damn well needs to know if he ever expects to be successful. Imitation isn't the sincerest form of flattery, it's theft.
Copyright and trademark have educational uses built into the US laws. This site is in Korea which acknowledges US laws. Students may use a limited number of instances of intellectual property, as long as it is for creative and design reasons.

May 4, 2015
Although, now that a lot of us are convinced Peterson is making vapes now, some of us will never buy a Peterson pipe again! Surely, this was the last straw for SOMEONE, right? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.