PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

I know I know, Last year I mentioned I was seriously considering laying off the pipe purchases and focus more on tobacco. We all know how that goes. Today I'm pleased to present the latest fruit of my PAD affliction: This beautiful Sandblast spigot in the 408 quarter bent shape.
About four years ago when I started developing my Peterson collection I was interested in the System series. Between then and now I acquired a few more different Petes and also became enamored with the Silver Spigots. For quite a while I have been watching the online vendors for spigots but up till now not too many have caught my eye. For now I've decided to limit my Peterson purchases to the Spigot line. It takes a special piece of briar to make the cut to become a Spigot so I feel pretty confident I'll end up with an attractive and well smoking piece.

I noticed recently smokingpipes had been displaying a couple different 408 Petes and I found myself captivated by the quarter bent shape but I wasn't seeing any with a sandblast finish that I prefer. Thinking to myself I even started to entertain the idea of inquiring with the vendor about a spigot to meet the specific attributes I was looking for as a special order.
One day not long ago I was talking the subject over with the Roadqueen and she wisely suggested that I should just be patient and that things usually have a way of working out for the better. I took her advice and put the thought out of my head. See I am learning to master my PAD!
Then one day last week I was checking my emails and I did what I always do when I find one of the smokingpipes' bi-weekly flyers in my mailbox. I enjoy scanning through the new offerings and in particular the estate section. There it was to my astonishment the very Spigot that had been haunting my mind's eye for so long. And bonus of bonuses it was up for sale as an unsmoked estate! I couldn't believe it and my hand involuntarily clicked the add to cart button. It was without a doubt the most instantaneous onset of PAD I've ever experienced.

I like the Cumberland/brindle style stem that compliments the red/brown under black staining of the briar. I don't consider myself to be a flashy type of person and mostly prefer unassuming traditional shaped pipes but sometimes when the urge for a little bling hits nothing satisfies like a Peterson Silver Spigot.
Last night I fired up the pipe for the first time with a full bowl of Peterson's Old Dublin. The pre-coated bowl smoked fine and keeping things cool for the initial smoke was easy with the temperature in my garage at 12 degrees F. The big bowl warmed up just slightly in my hand and I noticed no gurgles or any other ill effects only a little sizzle as the ember reached the moister leaf at the bottom of the bowl.

Reactions: Noahrk1

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I'm not a big fan of the look of a lot of bent Petes - kinda clunky IMHO - but that spigot is a stunner! Congrats Bentmike, happy puffing.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Mike, that's a great looking pipe. Everything is working for it.
I'm not a big fan of the look of a lot of bent Petes - kinda clunky IMHO
That's funny... this is EXACTLY the reason I like the bent dogs/rhodeys that Peterson does. Mind you, I'm chunky and a little bit bent.
-- Pat

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Stunning Mike - Congrats!
and also became enamored with the Silver Spigots... but sometimes when the urge for a little bling hits nothing satisfies like a Peterson Silver Spigot
+1

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys!
Rockymtn: I hear you about the clunky look. I've got a couple big bulky Pete's that I liked before but funny how tastes can change. Now I rarely smoke these bigger Pete's.
Numbersix: It's mostly your fault. Posts like this one really got my PAD up for another Spigot. You've got some sweet straight spigots.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Hear ya Pat. Though for a 6ft2, 230-pounder like me a slender, more graceful pipe is somehow strangely aspirational. :rofl:

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
It's a beauty! The pics turned out great! So very happy it smoked well for you. :)

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Why has this happened to me? One day I'm almost 50 year old bloke who's wandered around for 30 years quite happily smoking the occasional pipe and knowing NOTHING AT ALL about pipe culture. Stuff the tobacco - any tobacco - in the bowl, light and puff away. Feel slightly unusual and shy about my habit but hey ho. Then I decide to look at pipe tobacco online. NOW I'm a bloody pipe and tobacco fiend who's spending serious cash on pipes and tobacco AND I LOVE IT! My wife and kids are in shock. I love your pipe - all of it. I have no f'ing idea what any of the bits are or what they're called but they do it for me. I'm doomed.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Numbersix: It's mostly your fault. Posts like this one really got my PAD up for another Spigot. You've got some sweet straight spigots.
lol - sorry Mike!
I still want more, but may have to sell some pipes to do so!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a silver spigot fan (I need a Pete!) and love everything about that pipe

The 1/4 bend, stem and that polished, beveled bowl top edge are some great details that make that one very distinctive.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Congrats on a fine acquisition. That is a beauty for sure. I really like the clunky 408 shape and have one as well, but not a spigot. The sandblast/silver combo is awesome.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Al and Doc.
@Andystewart I hear you. Don't worry most of us have felt what you're going through. I was like you I happily smoked a no-name made in Italy pipe and tobacco store house blends for years before I discovered the online pipe community and all it had to offer. You're not doomed just keep reading and enjoy the fellowship we've got here. We'll get through it together.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Great looking Pete. I am curious about the spigot pipes myself. Glad to hear she smokes well for you. Congrats and Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.