PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have come to realize that my favorite style of pipe is the spigot (or military mount). If you're thinking of buying a new pipe, here are some of the benefits:
1. If you're outdoors and don't have a pipe cleaner but need to remove moisture, just pull off the stem, shake it out or blow it out and you're back in business.
2. When it comes time to clean your pipe after a smoke, you don't need to wait for the pipe to cool down - just take it off. This allows you to run a cleaner straight through the stem without having to pull it back out (which can cause the stem grab onto ash/dottle from the bowl - making it even dirtier than it was before). It also allows you to use both ends of a cleaner on the shank.
3. They are just plain good looking.
I only own three (all Petes) - but hope to get more:
pete-ross-spigot.jpg

pete-spigot1-600x437.jpg

kapp1-600x446.jpg

The only downside is for clenchers. Spigots can come loose on their own, so if you're not holding the pipe, could be an issue.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I only have one, well actually I think it is considered a military mount. Mine is a Peterson 317. Quite a small pipe almost a pocket pipe. I quite like it for quick smokes in the duck blind but you are correct I have had it come loose several times. Always appreciated the aesthetics of a silver mount.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I just bought my first: a Peterson 502 that was made in 2003 for the P&C Magazine POY.

This one is a bit heavy, and I haven't found a good tobacco match for it yet, but it is a splendid looking pipe, and smokes very cool.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
rigmedic - that's a great looking pipe. Interesting that the "Peterson" logo is their old style.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Yeah Six, I like em' too! I have 5 all together, 3 Peterson Systems, 1 Caminetto and 1 Lorenzo. The only one I ever have any problems with, as far as coming loose is concerned, is the Lorenzo. The rest of them stay nice and tight! They are definitely easier to deal with when they get clogged up!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks Six! I think Peterson pulls out the old stamps for special editions and such. Mine is 228 of 250. Your spigots look really nice as well. That bottom one looks like a Kapp Royal? Been wanting one like that myself.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The rest of them stay nice and tight!
That's good to hear. My Kapp Royal (bottom pic) stays in tight, but my spigots do come loose if I clench. Since I am not a clencher - not an issue.
think Peterson pulls out the old stamps for special editions and such.
Interesting - I didn't know that.
That bottom one looks like a Kapp Royal?
Yes it is- a fantastic pipe, def one of my top smokers.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm with Tom in my appreciation for this type of pipe. The only issue I have with it is one of terminology: years ago we called them military, or military push, or bayonet type mouthpieces. It certainly sounded dramatic, but perhaps anti-militarists were unhappy with the nomenclature. Then we switched to using the term "spigot," a term that seems to me to be more suited to engineering, plumbing, or the kitchen sink. The engineering of the pipe is great, despite it's unfortunate tendency – as Tom notes – to separate at inconvenient times, more of a problem for clenchers than smokers who hold the pipe in their hand, but could we not have come up with a more mellifluous sounding name than spigot?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Then we switched to using the term "spigot," a term that seems to me to be more suited to engineering, plumbing, or the kitchen sink.
lol! I do still use the term military mount. I may be mistaken, but I always thought of spigots as having metal on both the stem and the shank and military mounts have metal only on the stem. If I am correct in my understanding, that would make my Kapp Royal (third pipe down from top) a military mount.
Either way, I like 'em both, but looks-wise, I really go for spigots.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
You answered the question I was just going to ask Six, about spigot vs military mount. I have a Parker bent billiard that by the above definition would be a military mount. I would imagine that with a true spigot, metal on shank and stem, the likelihood of an unplanned, ash and ember dumping separation would increase. True? I sure love the look of all that silverwork regardless.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I've got one (a Pete' System 303), and do like the military mount bit. Unfortunately, I don't like the p-lip, or I'd smoke it a lot more often!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I think the rounded off shank caps on some spigots really look like the waterspigots of the 1930's up through about the 50's. In any case I like them. Adds a bit of a steampunk look to the pipe also. I'll add more to my collection for sure at some point.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My silver spigot connections between stem and shank are as firm as on my push-stems.

The spigot term is only for stems with metal-to-metal connections.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't know how this will actually fit in here, but this is the only pipe I have that would be considered a military or spigot mount pipe. It's an odd one, that I've had for a long time, but don't smoke that much as it's not that comfortable to hold. It only has "Algerian Plateaux Italy" stamped on the bottom. So it's not a Peterson that's for sure!

img_0119-600x435.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.