PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Funny you should post that. I picked up a tin of that yesterday and tried it out this morning. It's really different than anything else I've been smoking, with a lot more perique than I'm used to. I liked it quite well, though I kept thinking that if it was this good now, it would be amazing after being tucked away in the cellar for a few years.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
It is a really good tasting blend, but beware of the nic hit potential. Of all my blends, this is the one that seems to give me the most "Vitamin N" effect. I've taken to smoking it in my smaller-bowled pipes.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good stuff. I enjoy it in the morning. It's one of those tobaccos I'd like to keep around and smoke a tin once or twice a year.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
This was one of my first tins, I have to say, I did not enjoy it. I found it to be beyond spicy. If I exhaled the smoke through my nose, it would bring me to my knees. I'm not trying to chase anyone away from trying this tobacco, but it has been the only one I found unsmokable. Hopefully it was just a bad tin or something.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I need too try this stuff. I am going to look it up to see what its make it is (composition).
Mike.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Just picked up a tin last night and gave it a try found myself enjoying a nice Irish Oak. No tongue bite smooth smoke and the tobacco had a nice aroma when I opened the tin. Looking forward to later on tonight while listing to the Habs game for a good smoke.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
As a new pipe smoker, and one that did way too much research before lighting up my first bowl, I put Irish Oak on the top of my have to try list. Mostly it was the mystique of the hallowed Perique that got my attention.
When I opened the tin, I couldn’t believe the aroma; it smelled rather vinegary, something I never would’ve expected of a pipe tobacco. It certainly spiked my curiosity. Then as I began to draw the smoke into my mouth the taste seemed a bit like a cigarette as I had previously read in a tobacco review, but of far superior quality. What did amaze me however was how silky smooth it smoked. As I progressed through the bowl two unexpected things occurred. First, this incredibly smooth Virginia taste began to give way to little Karate kicks in the back of my throat. Second, before I knew it I was overdosing on vitamin N. I’m still not sure if I this blend was made for me, but there is no doubt that it is a superior quality product that seems to be in a league all of its own. I’ll definitely pick up a few more tins to cellar while I occasionally give the tin I’ve already opened a few more tries.
Dot

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Irish Oak is high up in my rotation. A nice twist on the classic VA/PER. I read that a lot of people need to let it sit for a while and age and/or dry out first or it can be a harsh smoke, but I smoked it "straight outta the mailbox" and it was (and remains) a very smooth smoke.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Just dropped it out of my rotation for a good long while. I tried and tried again, but it always left me regretting having wasted my smoke break on a tobacco that tastes like I just smoked a cigarette.
I´ll still buy another tin or two for cellaring, but I don't want that stuff near my pipe for a good long while.
A confirmed non IO guy.
Dot

To each his own, dottie. There are thousands of blends out there. Nothing wrong with not liking something. However, you might want to set it back for a while. Revisit it next year, or the next. My tastes change a lot, seasons, temperature, etc... I like this one a lot, but as it gets warmer, I tend to sway away from the heavier strength blends.
But, if you were wanting a VaPer that doesn't have a cigarette-y taste or smell, you are going to have a hard time with that, unless you would like something stronger, maybe in the cigar-y tasting range. But VaPers are pure tobaccos in flavor. You may find some with a slight casing, such as PS Luxury Navy Flakes, or something with a honey casing. But, for the most part, expect cigarette-y in that genre.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Dottie:
Just a note: Chances are, the nicotine kick you're noticing is a result of the perique, one of the highest-nicotine tobaccos. I don't know how much perique is in Irish Oak -- and it's likely that the cavendish is burley-based, which would also increase the nicotine levels -- but that's typically the culprit in blends like this.
If you'd like to give perique a shot in a milder blend, I'd recommend MacBaren's Roll Cake. I'm very sensitive to both nicotine and perique, but this one is smokeable for me. It also has a really enjoyable burst of sweetness halfway down the bowl, due to the cavendish in the blend. (Some will tell you that Roll Cake does not include perique, but I can guarantee you that it does. Or, at least, it did in the 3-year-old sample I had recently. It's possible that the recipe has changed since then.)
I've also found Luxury Bullseye Flake (only available in bulk) to be an enjoyable VA/perique. But it's more straightforward and, for me, not as interesting as the Roll Cake.
Bob

But, once again, all of that depends on whether it was the nic kick or the cigarette-y taste that you despised more.

IO has a healthy does of perique, which plays with the tart Virginias, but the burley Cavendish is where the nic is. I am not sure there is ever enough perique in a blend to kick up the nic levels to a noticeable range, not like a dark fired burley can.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Smoking some right now, the best Vaper that is not a flake so far. Added some St James perique towards the end and ordered more a couple days ago.
Cannot exhale through my nose or it will be sore though. High Nic content.

Status
Not open for further replies.