PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm still insisting on learning to like Irish Oak so I lit up a bowl yesterday after nearly one month abstinance.
I also tried it in a different pipe just to see if that would make a difference.
I must admit it wasn't as bad as I remembered, but it still wasn't to my liking enough to make it into my rotation, yet!

Dottie, have you tried a narrow and tall chambered pipe? Personally, I love this blend best in the dead of winter and in any pipe. But, a tall dublin is how I love it best. It may be that you just don't like it. I don't like it as much in warmer weather, as it tends to dry my mouth out in weather that already has me parched. YMMV

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, cosmic it's usually pretty hot down here in Mexico and that may be part of the problema: the nic hit is a bit too much for me as well!
I do, however like the idea of trying the IO in a tall bowl with a narrow chamber. As I'm just starting to build my pipe collection, I don't currently own one that matches that description.
Any recommendations?

If you are looking for an estate on ebay, Dan Pipes, Hilson and Colding make some nice tall dublins, stackers, and chimneys. Colding is a little harder to find, but very unique pipes.
For a new pipe, Hilson has released some retro pipes that are nice loking from old stock briar.

Savinelli has some cool dublins. But, you can also look at some full-bent pipes, they tend to have very tall bowls that look deceptively normal, because of the bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.