PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckg

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
New to the forum so please excuse me if I am not posting in the right section.
I recently acquired my first two Peterson ebony pipes, a Celtic 53 and a Sherlock Squire - both new. I noticed a difference in the bowls: on the Celtic 53, the bowl has what appears to be a carbon coating inside of it, as I've noticed in many new pipes I've handled; however on the Squire, the inside of the bowl is the same smooth coating as the rest of the stummel. When I went to light the Squire, there was a very notable smell of burning plastic or paint. Looking in the bowl, I noticed some of the main black coating was chipping off. I inserted a pipe cleaner and swirled it around a bit in the bowl, and out came a fair amount of the coating. This is not something I expected to experience, and made me feel uncomfortable to smoke it.
My question is, is this normal or is it a defect? Did someone forget to coat the inside of the bowl on this one? Or is this perfectly acceptable and part of the break-in process for ebony pipes?
Any advice or insight you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time!

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I don't know exactly what the finish is on those ebony pipes but I do know that Peterson has a habit of dip staining their pipes. I have one that was dip stained without plugging the stummel so the inside of my pipe was stained. This led to a rancid first few smokes and a mouthful of dye. It wasn't really anything for me to worry about though. I wouldn't be surprised if this is what has happened here but since you said some of the coating came out it makes me wonder. Sounds like they are actually coated with something other than dye for that finish. Some pics would probably help but I'm sure someone who knows more about these ebony pipes will chime in with more insight to your problem.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If it is dipstained, either you can;
1) endure your horrible smokes until the coating is burned away
2) take some fine sandpaper and sand the inside of the bowl
I bought a new Vauen with stain inside the bowl and I couldn't stand the first few smokes in it. Some sandpaper solved that.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Damn I hate it when the inside of the bowl is stained. I tried to smoke through it once but never again. I always sand that crap outa there (carefully of course). Use a medium to fine grit sandpaper 400 or 600 seems to work well. Wrapped around a wooden dowel or your finger if the bowl is big enough. I don’t sand very aggressively, just enough to get most of the chamber down to briar. I don’t worry if there’s a little stain left in the bottom.
Now the wood is stained to a certain depth so I don’t sand enough to see pink briar but enough to get most of it out.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I would also recommend a good cleaning of the shank with Q-tips and alcohol. There can be quite a bit of stain in there as well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The issue of coating bowls appears here now and then. Apparently the overwhelming majority of smokers are not bothered by it or the various manufacturers wouldn't coat. So, it's a personal choice. If you can't abide it, don't purchase such or simply remove it as advised above. Coatings apparently do not have an adverse impact on sales so, either check carefully when purchasing or take corrective action upon receipt of a new pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
fPhotos!!
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a point of comparison, I have a Peterson Killarney B11 bent volcano/brandy sitter that has a glossy ebony finish that I bought new about seven years ago. It had a coated bowl which never peeled or gave off any odd odor(s). The outer finish has retained its luster and has been durable with steady smoking. There have been no problems, so I assume this is the way Petersons should work. I've been lucky with the eight or ten Petes I have, but I am always disturbed to hear of problems since, when Peters are good, they are a fine smoke, durable, and problem free.

chuckg

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Here are pictures to clarify the difference I’m seeing in the two pipes...
Ebony Sherlock Squire:

VzDfFhm.jpg

Ebony Celtic 53:

YXEZ0fw.jpg

More pics...

https://imgur.com/a/1dLo5D6

chuckg

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
Thanks for all the feedback. Please feel free to add more to it per the pictures.
I have reached out to Peterson to seek some resolution on it. Worst case I will follow through with sanding it out, but barring further input it does seem like a defect that Peterson should rectify.

chuckg

Lurker
Feb 10, 2019
<p>Olkofri, sorry for the pics showing it as greenish, that’s actually just the flashlight I’m using (excessively warm). I can confirm it’s black on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.