PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I enjoyed this blend over the last couple of nights in a Ciro Pot and a no-name Billiard. Both nights were humid and in the upper 80s. I packed the tobacco using the Harry Method.
Pouch Note: It was surprisingly good. There was the smoky Latakia along with the caramels and currants that reminded me very much of Black House. The tobacco was cut into long ribbons and was just moist enough and springy to the touch. I shouldn't be surprised at the similarity as this one was also designed to emulate the legendary Balkan Sobranie.
Charring Light: On first char it was smoky with a hint of oak. Very nice.
True Light: The smoke of Latakia complimented by the nutty smoothness of the Turkish/Orientals used in the blend with just enough of that rainsiny sourness to make in interesting.
The body of the smoke was surprisingly mild and very smooth. It didn't produce lots of smoke and the flavor was not complex at all, but as it settled in, it developed that leathery, earthy, fungal character that made me fall in love with Balkans to start with. The texture was light, creamy and smooth and never cloying. It was so well-behaved and mellow that I wondered if this was really a bulk blend or if it had been hatched from an aged tin somewhere and sent to me. I jokingly refered to it as Black House Lite at one point, but that really isn't fair as PS Balkan Supreme really is its own animal and I found myself pushing ahead to immerse myself in that leathery aroma and creamy smoothness. It was truly a pleasure to French-inhale and retrohale for those notes alone. It would be as comforting as mushroom soup and I could see myself enjoying a huge bowl and hours of uninterrupted reading with this blend. It is definitely a Balkan Lover's Balkan because it has all those characteristics that make me love that style. It burned so even and clean that I struggled to relight it one night and then realized there was nothing left to light! That's always a good sign when it leaves you wishing there was more in the bowl!
Ps Balkan Supreme gave me a new respect for Stokkebye blends and it will certainly be on future TAD lists.
Thanks, Shawn!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
You hit the nail on the head with pretty much all of the PS bulk blends I've tried. They all are solid blends. Maybe not as complex and tasty as some more expensive/boutique blends, but certainly a great value. Some that don't fall into this are Luxury Bullseye Flake, Navy Flake, & Proper English as they are seriously awesome. English Luxury is a great light English which, those looking to "get into" English blends will enjoy.
-Jason

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It was another surprisingly good blend that Shawn sent me. He didn't care for it as much as the Newminster English Oriental, which had a little more complexity but if you want a creamy-smooth blend full or mushroomy, old leather goodness PS Balkan Supreme delivers in spades! It's one of those that hits its stride and just keeps on going.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just imagine yourself sitting in a very old, well broken in leather chair, reading an old, dusty book next to a crackling wood stove and sipping a bowl of cream of mushroom soup and that was my experience. Like comfort food for Balkan Smokers.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Wow!! Awesome review. I hope to one day be able to pick out all those characteristics in a tobacco blend. Just added to my TAD list.

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
Had some Balkan Supreme in a big humidor, dried out and neglected. Revived a little batch of it with distiller water in a small Bell jor and it is smoking very nicely, though I don't remember how it used to taste.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
As always, a great review. I like it to as an all around good smoke. Its a blend i can smoke anytime. I'm glad you liked it. I haven't been able to get on here as much as usual Baron. I had that wood pck i was finishing, and that other small project turned into a full blown hobby. I'm going to :D PM you. Thanks for the Shout out

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I had to settle for a half pound because of my budget. My next buy is going to be an lb of Black House [:puffy:]
Looks like Baron is getting some competition in the Black House department. :puffy:

Aug 14, 2012
I completely agree with your review, and could not have said it as well. I smoked Balkan Sobranie for many years, then succumbed to 50 cent pouches of dried out Macbarens sold in the local cigar shop. When I looked for more Sobranie there was none. This Stokkebye is very close, possibly a little mellower. But I am not sure because I age it for a long time, which does make it smoother. I didn't know about aging tobacco when I was very young. It is my most smoked tobacco and is particularly good in a Dunhill smooth finish pipe, Cumberland or County.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Hey Galeon, Have you tried Black House??? Its not your everyday Balkan... It has hints of slight vanilla and anise. Its well balanced. You should read barons review of it. Its like poetry!!!

caliban

Lurker
Aug 11, 2012
It seems to me that this P.S. Balkan Supreme is easier to keep lit than the old Balkan Sobranie.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Thanks for the great review. PS balken sepreme and Bullseye Flake added to the list. I think you've helped identify me as a Balkan lover :D

Jul 15, 2011
I have been wanting to try some Stokkebye balkan blends for quite a while, and that review may have just pushed me in the right direction. As soon as I can get some scratch together I will have to put in an order for some. Thanks for the review man!

Status
Not open for further replies.