PAD the first year

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by owen
  • Latest reply from greyfoxactual
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After one years furious buying I have now reached 70 pipes, all but a few from ebay and only two new. Its been great fun and I have learnt a lot:
    I have never spent more than £30, but its a false economy as I wish I had some money now for a Castello instead.
    Always check the sizes as I've accidentally bought huge and tiny pipes by accident.
    I have twice bought transitional Barlings miss labelled.
    None of the big name pipe have been extra special.
    I dont like bent pipes, I do like bent pipes.
    Forum members make things worse, encouraging further purchases.
    Show us your..... threads lead directly to buying frenzy.

There are still many brands, shapes, finishes and nationalities to try. Some will have to be sold now as I want a Peterson system, Peterson army mount, Stanwell, Kaywoodie, Tsuge, Churchwarden and one freehand.

I have started many collections and now need to stock take and stop buying ( I am currently bidding on a few).

My rotation is only twelve pipes.
    Owen

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You got yourself 70 pipes but you only smoke 12?....that's interesting..it's been my first year too..heck I smoke at least 12 cobs alone...plus the variety I picked up like you did...and a couple that were novelty..
    I also delved into used racks and have 4 racks and two double 'rests'...along with a pipe I cajoled my kid brother to make...it's a 'museum' piece, too. He seemed rather miffed that I wasn't smoking it...but, if you saw how he did the internals...you'd know why...I was hoping to get him into the carving game...but he seems to have found other interests..I guess it helps one's motivation if one is a smoker too...someday...I'll get situated and try MY hand at making a couple.
    Nice start there..I've probably got 50 or 60...and I smoke most of them...I've got maybe a dozen that arrived unsmoked and I've kept them that way...when I get a camera, I plan to sell them and use the funds for something better. I'll consolidate.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whoa! I've been smoking pipes on and off for about 40 years, and I'm not much ahead of you. That makes me feel so much better. You have a nice stable. I smoke nearly all of mine in a slow rotation, although some of the front row do get smoked more often, after a rest every time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have a very nice assortment of pipes there. I like the variety of sizes shapes and finishes...keeps it interesting. Enjoy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great assortment! You have been busy !

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see 3-4 prince's in there. I'm curious to know what they are.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Owen. I'm marking this as a favorite. The next time my wife complains about the couple of dozen briars, the meer and all the cobs I bought last year or so, I'll refer her to this page.

Now you need to match each pipe with a half dozen or so different tins of tobacco.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. greyfoxactual

greyfoxactual

Login to Send PM

Great post!

Forum members make things worse, encouraging further purchases.
    Show us your..... threads lead directly to buying frenzy.

Agreed! As soon as Christmas Cheer drops, I'll be in all kinds of trouble with the missus.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No sense being a damn fool about it." -W.C. Fields
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank