PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Finally the fight all fight fans have been waiting for. May 2nd at the MGM. I wonder what the PPV charge is going to be?

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Well, an hour ago Forbes predicted that actual seats would reach $3k on average. It's hard to guess how much they'll charge for PPV but it certainly won't come close to that price.
Who are you rooting for? I want Pacquiao to win.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm hoping a fight of this magnitude will bring in more people who are not normally boxing fans. The buildup in the upcoming months as the fight gets closer could help with the fan base as well. Let's face it, boxing has dwindled in popularity over the years. This match up could help in a big way. The sport needs this fight.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Who are you rooting for? I also want the PacMan to win. I just saw on ESPN that the PPV prices are going to be $89.95 plus $10.00 for HD. Got to love that HD charge.
After this fight, the sport has nothing to draw people in though. I think that is why they held off so long.

Far from the truth daimyo. There are quite of few young boxers coming up right now i.e. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, Gennady Golovkin and even a heavyweight named Deontay Wilder. The reason they held off is because Mayweather was afraid of a

younger Pacquiao.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
There may be some good, young boxers but how many people outside existing boxing fans even know who they are. I hate to say it but it's going to take more than this fight to bring boxing back. I would be happy to be wrong but it doesn't look good.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am a long time boxing fan. For the foreseeable future, it will be marginal as MMA rules the day. This fight should have happened a while ago, a little too late in my opinion. Mayweather will win this easily. Here is a name that I will never forget as a all time great featherweight, Danny "Little Red" Lopez"and another even better, Salvador Sanchez, who is the best featherweight I ever saw. There is a match that any boxing fan would love to see in "what if world," Salvador Sanchez Vs. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An NPR sports commentator said the PPV is estimated to be about $100 right now, but the hype may drive it up.

I'm afraid people are buying the fight that would have been, about four or five years ago. These are two middle

aged men, probably in incredible shape, but time takes its toll. If Ali is a reference point, and he is for me, this

is a sport that may come at too high a price. I'd have a hard time enjoying the bout if someone is ending up

with a severe disability for the last twenty to thirty years of their life. Although the sport likely saves many young

men an early death by shooting, by involving them in a sport. Used to watch Floyd Paterson and Carmen Basillio,

among others, on black and white TV.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I agree with you, Daimyo. It is unfortunate. The sport has become overly commercialized, corrupt, and I would go so far as to say that it has become far more about brawling than actual skill. Now this certainly isn't true for every fighter/trainer/promoter, etc. but that's what boxing has become to the general public and why it has fallen out of favor with fans.
It's been a couple years since I've watched a live fight. I'm finding more interesting fights taking place in small training gyms. There are some quality trainers out there that really try to impart the full range of a boxers tool kit (the footwork, punches, timing, counters, stances, etc.) to their students. I think in those fighters we will see a revival of heart in the boxing community. At least that is my hope.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think it will probably go to a decision. I do think Pacquio could very well take it. There are alot of young boxers coming up, I was watching a friday night fight recently and it blew any pay per view away I'd seen recently. They were south americans fighting and it was the real deal.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I was a boxing fan many years ago before I realized it was a circus. Then I was a UFC fan but it became a circus. Now I'm waiting for the next serious fighting league.

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Andy! There are some crazy good fights going on that never get a good glimpse of the limelight. It's those fights/fighters that will bring the sport back.
Now I'm waiting for the next serious fighting league.

I should totally have my own TV station...

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Anthony said - "Let's face it, boxing has dwindled in popularity over the years. This match up could help in a big way. The sport needs this fight."
Right on Anthony. But I'm biased. Having boxed for more than 50 years, started when I was 13, amateur of course, still work out with the heavy bag, and have followed my father who boxed in the Marines then as an amateur. My father was also a sparing partner for both Carmen Basilio, who was a champion in 2 divisions, welterweight and middleweight, and my father was a sparing partner for Joey DeJohn back in the day. He used to tell me he would get his ass kicked for .25 a round.
In 1957 I was at Yankee Stadium to watch Carmen Basilio beat Sugar Ray Leonard for the title. I was 11 years old.
Friday night fights on TV back in the 50's was an absolute in my house.
And, I live a few miles from the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota NY. I have met, and had dinner with many of the old time fighters. Ken Norton, Joe Frasier, Willie Pep, Billy Backus, Wilfred Benitez, Hagler, Holmes, Jose Napoles, and a bunch more.
I have heard the stories about the back room deals, and the shady promoters, that has led to the demise of boxing. Carmen Basilio was a frequent visitor to my home. And the stories he told were priceless.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I am a huge fight fan kickboxing, boxing, and mma. Unfortunately this fight is 5 years to late and will not have any impact on the boxing seen overall.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Sorry, I forgot to mention my favorite. My heart tells me Mayweather, but my money says Pacquio. Two different kinds of fighters. One throws punches, one after the other, Pacquio, and the other is more disciplined, and throws less punches, Mayweather. It will be Mayweather's right hand vs Pacquio's left.
I also like PacMans trainer Freddie Roach. Roach will have the approach to defeat Mayweather.

Aug 14, 2012
Though I am a fan of both fighters, I would like to see Manny win. That is very unlikely though. He would have had a real chance several years ago, but he has gotten older and lost some of his focus on boxing. His prime is past, his arms are too short and his dedication is not up to Floyds. Mayweather by decision.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This fight isn't that late. Sure both these guys were better 5 years ago, but they are still plenty good and may have slowed down just enough to catch each other. Last thing I want to see is two fast guys boogalooing around the ring so fast no fighting is actually going on.
I loved the old Friday Night Fights of the 50's. It was corrupt as hell but the fighters were warriors.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I hope this fight brings good publicity to the sport of boxing as well. I'm 24 years old, most guys my age are obsessed with MMA and I quite literally cannot force myself to watch it. Boxing is very enjoyable to me. My favourite fight(s) of all time still (not that I've actually watched too many) are the infamous matches between Irish Micky Ward and Arturo Gatti. Not the highest skill in those fights, but very entertaining and tense for me.
Anyways, I think Mayweather

Status
Not open for further replies.