PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I am rethinking my opinion about this fight and am beginning to believe Manny has a good chance. He is training entirely at the Wild Card gym in LA, not the usual camp in the Philippines; he is a few years younger and his legs appear in better shape. Floyd can be hurt when cornered on the ropes. Victor Ortiz showed how before he got crazy and launched a headbut. Manny may be the only fighter Floyd will have faced who has the kind of speed he does, and Manny has a bigger punch. Floyd always finds a way to win, but this fight is just too close to call. I might have to see it.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"...but this fight is just too close to call."
Just don't see this, many do here, but the odds-makers see it Mayweather, Mayweather, Mayweather, as do I. We shall see.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well since it's tomorrow I'm predicting a draw so there'll have to be a rematch, but in the end after it's all done I think Manny will give Floyd the first loss of his career which will probably be a draw first fight, Manny second fight which will lead to another fight with possibly mayweather winning but then the 4th fight Manny and then Manny retires and so does floyd. I was thinking some members should make bets with tobacco/pipes to make things interesting, I think betting on events with tobacco and pipes would be an interesting development for the forums. There's too much money to be made in this, it's a national holiday in the Philippines tomorrow, they're telling people not to use unnecessary energy in the Philippines so there'll be enough power for everyone to watch the fight.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Never could see hoe this could be interesting. Mayweather was going to win this period. If anything this will further promote a growing disinterest in boxing. Boring I agree,

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That wasn't even entertaining for an episode of Dancing with the Stars. Forrest Gump didn't run as much as Mayweather did last night. I've seen soccer moms run less chasing their 4yr old around Wal-Mart. Ron Hextall had more entertaining fights than that and he was a goaltender in the NHL.
Seriously though, had this fight happened the 5 or 10 years ago like it should have I think PacMan would've taken down Mayweather by the 6th round. Manny's just too old and too caught up with being a Senator in the Philippines.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Asked son if it was worth getting the fight on pay per view, he said save your money Dad, Mayweather gonna dance it won't be a good fight and in the end Mayweather will win. I taught him right, saved 100$.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I used to box in an unofficial capacity of the military's socom community. My left eyebrow is more scar than eyebrow due to a Navy SEAL (also a great friend of mine.) Won a lot of fights, lost plenty of fights, and I like to think I learned a little bit in the process...
I had hoped this fight would revitalize the sport a bit for the younger generation, which I am a part of. I think it was the final nail in the coffin instead. UFC was interesting in the beginning, now I feel it's lost a lot of that something real and special.
I'm sad as hell.
I know there are young guys training diligently out there, and they are having great fights. I just don't know if the sport will survive long enough for them to come up in that world.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I ended up listening to it with my son on BBC, from Berkshire England via the internet, for free!
I got a bigger kick out of sitting back with my churchwarden stuffed with Escudo and listining to the fight via the radio for free than I did the fight. It sounded pretty lame, and those british announcers were so pro Mayweather it became obnoxious. But I still enjoyed smoking a pipe and listening instead of watching that was cool.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
An interesting side note, The PPV demand was so high it caused outages in some markets. For all the talk of Boxing's demise they sure sold a lot of TV. It will probably never be what it once was but it seems healthier than many believe. The fight game has always had its dark side but there is still something special about the manly art of fisticuffs. But then too some of us just refuse to be emasculated.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
That wasn't even entertaining for an episode of Dancing with the Stars.
They danced the night away...all the way to the bank!
avtnp5h.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Personally I finally got around to watching the fight last night, I downloaded what turned out to be a BBC sports version of it. I enjoyed the fight, I thought Mayweather did what he does good, I think having the UK commentators was really refreshing and provided a different outlook. I didn't find the fight boring, and like the commentator stated on the version I was watching if the Ref wasn't giving Mayweather any warnings about holding etc... Then why should Mayweather stop doing it if it's working? After hearing everyones opinions then watching it, Mayweather won that fight easily and actually threw alot of punches. I didn't find it boring at all, maybe if I'd spent 100$ for a ppv and was expecting the fight of the century I'd be dissapointed, but I'm sure if Pacquiao won everyone would of said it was a great fight. Like him or not Mayweather fought the fight his way, Pacquiao let him, and in the end Mayweather dominated.

Aug 14, 2012
I was a Pacquiao fan before this fight. No more. The guy hustled us, going into the fight injured. There is simply no excuse for this. Manny should return the money he was paid; it was earned dishonestly. You can pray to God all you want, stealing close to $100 million will not get you His grace. So, Manny Pacquiao, you have disgraced yourself, disgraced boxing and disgraced Filipinos.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Agreed. I'm glad I decided at the last minute to change plans. Aside from the injury conspiracy, the fight was what I thought it would be. I wanted Pac to win, but thought Mayweather would do his usual boring crap and continue his legacy as the most boring pound for pound #1 in history. Want to watch an exciting fight? Watch GGG, Gennady Golovkin May 16th. If you want to watch a great older fight, look up "Jesse" James Hughes, little known middleweight who got a belt and defended it 4 times before being murdered. Crazy cowboy/redneck trailer trash could kick some ass. He never got knocked down, but it wasn't for lack of getting smacked, that guy could take a punch like no other I've seen. He's the first boxer that really got me into watching, back in the mid-'90s.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am at a loss, how did Paquiao disgrace an entire nationality?
Two guys, way past their "use by date", made a bit of money beating up on each other. Most fight fans bought into the hype and ate it up. I think this says more about fight fans and the game than any particular nationality.

Aug 14, 2012
Warren: He went for the cash, displaying no sense of decency. He is a fraud. By the way, I am married to a Filipino.

Status
Not open for further replies.