Over the Years, Have Your Bowls per Day Increased or Decreased?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For much of my pipe smoking career, I smoked an average of 4 to 6 bowls a day. In the last several years my consumption has definitely reduced. These days it's rare that I smoke more than 2 bowls a day and often 1 bowl a day. Many days I don't smoke at all. Have any of you noticed an increase in your bowl per day count? Is it a personal trend or does it vary a lot over time?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mine has decreased over the years. Early on back in the '90s, I would smoke 5-10 bowls per day. In recent years, it's 1-2 per day.

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I've only been piping seriously for about 4 years, but mine has gone up in the last few months from 2 bowls to 4+. That may have something to do with some of the awesome blends I've been able to acquire in the last year though. I'll bet a lot of people are smoking fewer bowls lately due to the cold weather (those who only smoke outside).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
3 a day until about 2010 due to a sore mouth from smoking like a freight train; not really, but soreness definitely got in the way of smoking more. 4-6 for two years with improved technique but had some chest pain, costochondritus (yes, correct spelling), not a heart attack. Since 2012 two or three bowls, sometimes two, two in group two or three pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When I resumed smoking a few years ago, it was 2-3 bowls a day, but in a few months I was going crazy with new tobaccos, learning here on the forum, and was up to a dozen bowls a day. Now, I go between a couple a day up to 4 or 5.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As I got more able to smoke, I found I could do it in the background, so for more of the day. The reduced speed of smoke was more than balanced by the greater number of hours of no zero smokes, and so now, I'm burning down the leaf at a rapid rate, mainly because I'm trying to be as cool as Cosmic and Cortez. Well, that ain't gonna happen, so I settle for what I can reasonably achieve.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I used to smoke 3-4 bowls a day, maybe getting up to six. These days, I'm up to 10-12.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Decreased. When I worked at the smoke shop, I was pretty much non stop. Now, three to four bowls a day.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I was a 5 to 8 now 2 to 3. I have a 4yo and besides keeping me busy he brings home sickness from pre-school and then passes it in to us (wife and I). So when I'm not with him, not sick and have an opportunity I smoke. Going for walks with the new puppy helps (when I'm not sick).

lotharen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2016
Decreased, for me I'm at zero bowls a day and have been for at least 3 months.
I had surgery last year and it really messed up my taste buds and I've just been unable to get back into it. Before I was averaging around 2 bowls a day. I miss it though and looking at these forums again is starting to kindle that want. Here's to hoping.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I had surgery last year and it really messed up my taste buds and I've just been unable to get back into it.
I experienced a similar loss of flavor after my kidney stone surgery at the end of 2015. It took the better part of a year before my ability to taste tobacco fully returned. The one benefit was that I could enjoy Latakia and orientals again as their more pungent flavors cut through my dulled palate. Curiously, my sense of taste for foods didn't experience the same loss.
I think that part of the reason my consumption went down was that I changed from smoking English blends to Virginias and Va/Pers. My smoking technique changed, and my cadence really slowed down in response to pulling as much nuance out of the more delicate flavors of those blends. A bowl of Virginia lasts a lot longer than a bowl of English. Also, my crazy workload didn't really allow for much time with a pipe. Now, a bowl or two is all I really want. More just doesn't appeal to me.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I’m embarrassed to admit- maybe a bowl every two weeks. At a bowl a day, I start to have shortness of breath and other annoying stuff that screws up my 80 miles of cycling a week. The other part is the small amount of briar, Ebonite, and other stuff I breathe daily even with good dust control- I have to be a little careful from huge exposure to sawdust from exotic hardwoods in my early years.... took 10 years to get over the asthma that almost ruined me...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A bowl or two or day, with days off, is about right. When things get really busy, I just don't find the time. Some days I will smoke a few bowls, but that's not my habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.