Tags:   

On the Subject of Vintage Tobacco...

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by hedonaut
  • Latest reply from hedonaut
  1. hedonaut

hedonaut

Login to Send PM

Today after an eye appointment, I went out on a long cruise on my motorcycle through the countryside. It was a perfect 75 and sunny in Pennsylvania, and the ride was glorious. My destination of sorts (though I was determined to get there in the most round about way possible) was a coin shop that had recently started carrying fine tobacco. A member of the pipe club had recommended it to me, so I thought I'd check it out. I bought a few bulks and enjoyed a cigar with a few guys up there while. The owner also gifted me with a bowlful or so of Revelation from 1960. it was the real deal, madee by Phillip Morris, and praised by Einstein. I am stoked, to say the least.

Now, the question is, what do I smoke it in. My clays, though nice, never smoke as nicely as a briar. My briars are dedicated to broad categories like burley or English. My cobs might fit the bill, as I have both an English cob and a burley one. I also have a meer I smoke burley and Virginias in. I don't have much. What do you think I should do to get the maximum out of this precious tobacco?

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

chubbster

Login to Send PM

Cob.

I have smoked a lot of Revelation, a very fine tobacco, given te right circumstances.

I will ne'er forget my finest smoke of this blend.

I was on my way to work, early, around 5am. It was cold, cold enough to thi Texan at least. I loaded a quick bowl of revelation in a cob, an MM Golfer from the 60s. I lit my bowl, cracked my window and was on my way. I experienced a plethora of flavors, chocolate from the burley used, a hint I Latakia, given how sparingly it was used. Nice touches of leather, fresh. Smoked it slowly, real slow, and will never forget that smoke.

Honestly, one of the most e memorable I have ever come across.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A good briar. One or two bowls in a burley pipe will not cause that much, if any, ghosting.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I know PA is a large state but where did you find this coin shop/tobacco.

I ask because I heard a radio ad about a similar shop not too far from me.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not too much experience here but I always try my new blends in a cob, meer or both if I have enough.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

A meerschaum pipe, if maintained well and kept clean, will smoke that Revelation (or any blend) quite well, allowing you to taste the qualities of the blend in the most pure fashion.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. hedonaut

hedonaut

Login to Send PM

I'm up in the Northeast, mmjk. I was leaning toward the meer because it lacks much of a ghost, but I'm still unsure. I'll review it soon with whatever I decide.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dino, condorlover1