On Thanksgiving Day, I will Not Be Happy!!!!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Thanksgiving is coming, and my wife just informed me we are going to the outlaw’s house. So she has ruined my day, this day, and Thanksgiving Day.
To be perfectly blunt, they don’t like me. They don’t like me because my views, both political and personal differ from theirs. Not to be political, but just to be on point here, politically I’m to the right, and they are far left. Personally, I’ve always worked for myself, been in business for 45 years doing various things. They believe working for a company that offers benefits is the only way to go. They don’t like that I smoke or eat meat. They are vegans and vegetarians. They hate it when I defend my right to offer another opinion. They do not like the fact that I am a historian, who has studied American history and that I happen to disagree with the teachings of most of academia, and so called professional teachers and professors.
My mother-n-law, (the wicked witch of the north), my sisters-law, my brother-n-law, his mother, his sisters and brothers, my nieces on my wife’s side don‘t like me,(Ya, can you believe that? My young nieces.), they don’t like me because I dance to the beat of a different drummer. And they will all be there at the Thanksgiving Day table.
What I think is sad is that I have never lost a friendship based on a difference of opinion. And, I would never think of ostracizing a family member, on either side because of a difference of opinion.
So on thanksgiving, I will sit quietly by myself, with a few glasses of wine, and hopefully play with my three year old granddaughter who is too young to form opinions.
And on Thanksgiving Day, when you are all enjoying yourselves with family members, have a pipefull, and or a drink for 'ole Indiana here. I don't care what your drinking, or smoking either.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I will raise a glass and bowl in your honor, sir. Nothing wrong with differing opinions but definitely something wrong with ostracizing people for it, especially family. :?

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
1st topic... "how bout those mid-term elections" That oughta bring you some silence for a few hours.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I can see their point of view. You ought to straighten up and conduct your life correctly -- i.e., live and think the way they want you to

because they know what's best for you.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
They are vegans and vegetarians
what the hell is the point of having Thanksgiving without Turkey, stuffing cooked in a turkey and gravy from the turkey drippings?

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
I can see their point of view. You ought to straighten up and conduct your life correctly -- i.e., live and think the way they want you to because they know what's best for you.
just like the government.
what the hell is the point of having Thanksgiving without Turkey, stuffing cooked in a turkey and gravy from the turkey drippings
Yeah! Can you imagine the family fights if it was just Yams and corn..

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Huh.... I find it hard to believe they are even willing to celebrate Thanksgiving! Seeing as how it's about celebrating our freedom from tyranny and our rights as free thinkers. And the right that God gave us to eat a friggin turkey!

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I take this post to be about having freedom to have ones own opinion so here's mine..I don't like Turkey or Dressing or Cranberry Sause.In fact I don't like traditional Thanksgiving dinner at all.I hope that doesn't make me one of society's outcasts.

Jan 8, 2013
Puffy you are an outcast... how dare you not like turkey (it's ok not to like crapberry sauce)and dressing?!? How can you even call yourself an American? :wink:
Indy... crap, man. I don't know what I could say to make you feel better. That just sucks. Hopefully it's over quickly... or you can always come down with a sudden stomach flu. :wink:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I have the exact same problem, except it's my family and my only in-law (brother) is on my side. I agree with ae1: this is why God made beer, or in your case, wine. I disagree with one thing though, I think your plan to be quiet and play with the granddaughter is the right way to go. I lost a girlfriend on Thanksgiving due to wine, her relatives from California and not keeping quiet. You won't change them. Sit proud like a man and return their intolerance with tolerance. And get toasty and play with the kid.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Sorry to hear this. I am subject to the same attitude when I visit dear old dad and his wife. Probably not quite so vitriol but certainly equal in their disdain for my views and enjoyments. I have a five day trip coming Dec 1st. Thankfully, it's Florida and we golf.The fact that wine is plentiful helps the evenings pass too but, I do feel your pain.

As for the turkey (and Cranberry) talk, more for me!
Mike S.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Take my advice: stand up to your wife and stop getting your information about historians from Fox News. I promise you'll be happier.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Indy, understand what you are saying, I have to go through it too. What I do is shut up, & put up with the BS go home & dread next year & keep the wife happy.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Shortly after arriving, get rapidly and thoroughly drunk--and be sure to take your soap box with you.
Problem solved.
This was my modus operandi at Xmas for many years, however, I had a BIL who was on my side. So we'd imbibe heavily of all manner of organic smoking material and just have a grand old time by ourselves, while feigning interest in the rest of the goings-ons. We'd make dinner, do all the clean up, and out-do the rest of the family in the (unspoken, undeclared) cooking competition. Everyone was fully perplexed how those two anti-socialites could pull it off. Conservatives can't cook. Everyone knows that.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I love my wife too, but I draw the line at Tofurkey. But I hear that someone came up with vegetarian Turducken!
s-VEGETARIAN-TURDUCKEN-large.jpg

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
pitchfork - my information does not come from Fox news, or any other news outlet. I have a library of 2000 books, and a file of 5000 plus notes kept over 45 years of research on Am. History. I am a frequent visitor to the National Archives. I look for facts, not opinions.
Some of you mentioned not going. Honestly, if my son and grand-daughter were not in town visiting for a few days, I would not go. I don't get to see them that often.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The day before eat a lot of Sweet Potatoes and drink a lot of beer. Then you serenade them like Blazing Saddles, wear 2 pairs of underwear as you may have a mishap.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I know how that goes brother. People shouldn't hate anyone because of political views. I have some liberal friends and family. We have had some very heated debates about our opposing values but at the end of the day, we still respect each other. I don't take it personally. They can't help themselves, but big brother will make it all better. We are only one more regulation away from total bliss.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
So this thread reminded me of a question I've been contemplating lately: do pipe smokers tend to be more politically conservative or liberal? The ones I know personally tend strongly to the right, but that may be a factor of a small sample and the inherent bias of sampling in ruby red east Tennessee. So what do the rest of you think? This thread seems to be pretty conservative from the stated and implied views of the posters so far. Does that trend hold up, or is it just the conservatives choosing to talk about it now?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
vfefrenzy, you now have your right foot on terra firma, the other dangles above the abyss. No, we are not all right thinking, there are some amongst us who dress left. Take heed, though, in that further perusal of that subject will lead not to enlightenment, but to darkness. As in blackout.

See Rule No. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.