Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I am curious as to whether anyone has or has used Nylon or Polyamides in the production of pipe stems. I seem to remember having a black nylon stem somewhere on one of my pipes. It doesn't discolor and is pretty dent resistant. It occurred to me that my local library has a 3D printer and I need stems so.... I want to print some stems, drill them out and try them. They are supposed to be durable and strong. Have I had a stroke of genius or just a stroke? Experts please speak up. This would save me TONS of money and headaches with my stem deficient pipe collection.

May 4, 2015
3D Printing stems is cheaper than buying $3 replacement stems from Vermont Freehand or similar?
*not an expert

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It would already be the shape and size I want...
Didn't know about $3.00 replacements. Thanks !! :)

May 4, 2015
They need reshaping/sizing, but they sell a tenon turning tool and some other goodies to work on the stem blanks.
Depending on what sort of "shop" you have access to, fitting/finishing stems from blanks could be pretty cheap and fun probably.
I don't actually know what it costs to borrow a 3D printer. My buddy runs the shop at the University and has access to 3D Printing, so if that's a viable method, I'd be interested to know.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I have a few pipes with nylon stems. For me, they aren't comfortable and wear out quite quickly. You might have different luck.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Our library has a 3D printer open to the public to make anything they want, with supervision. I have no shop, just two toolboxes. All my grinders/motors and other stuff are in storage. In fact, I just found my dremel tool the other day when digging out my circular saw to build new front steps. I also have 400 grit sandpaper and a (thanks to my girlfriend) $3.00 Revlon nail buffer which works great as high grit sander for removing very small amounts of briar, leaving no visible blemishes, and polishes wood and stems very well. Yeah, no shop, or time to do stem work right. All my damaged stems have broken/chewed up tenons. I figure glue them back on, 3D print an exact replica, drill it out, coarse sand where needed then polish and I'm good to go. I know it will be harder than it sounds. I will definitely be getting some stem blanks for a couple stemless bowls. But at least one pipe needs skilled professional help and I'm saving up for that now. Thanks for the heads up on blanks Tom, I never would have thought to look for them. :clap:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Medico has made millions (more or less) of pipes with nylon stems since the early/mid 1950's. Softer than Vulcanite but they don't oxidize.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/national-briar-pipe-co-nylon-drysmoke-pipes
The one I have is nylon, not a problem out of it in 60ish years. Still smokes well, and doesn't effect taste for me.
Medico has made millions (more or less) of pipes with nylon stems since the early/mid 1950's. Softer than Vulcanite but they don't oxidize.
Seems like they used a lot of different material in the 50's. Was a great time for pipe innovation and ideas...though some were not effective.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The bits are thick and need rounding, and the tenons are far larger than most pipes.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@Pagan- You use bent drill bits. :P
You drill them when straight then make the bend after by applying heat.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Sometimes you have to ask why nylon, bakelite, bone, amber, etc were phased out in favor of ebonite, vulcanite, and acrylic . . . even juma.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Fascinating to hear about producing a stem on a 3D printer. Being a zero techy, I won't be doing it, but the concept is pretty intriguing. The quality of the stem is a second question.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
theybhave a 3d printer at my library, i want to try making a stem, using the printer.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I have no idea. I know a bent stem could be printed...but you would have to straighten it to drill the airway. I don't know how they could "print" the airway as it would be in a medium, and I don't think material can be hollow when printed. I'll be going in the next week or so and will find out. Stay tuned.

luna15

Lurker
Oct 31, 2016
but you would have to straighten it to drill the airway. I don't know how they could "print"
Hello mayfair,
I am very new in this (pipes) and I am making a wooden smoking pipe for a friend.

I am a industrial designer and I have access to a 3d pinter with a nylon filament. I was looking to make the stem made of 3D printing, but I wasn´t sure about the filament, but according to the commentaries about nylon stems I think I can make one and try to show you guys. This will be very good if I can make it!

luna15

Lurker
Oct 31, 2016
So, 3D printing stem is possible.

I will try working on it a little more next week in order to improve it.
IMG_2016-11-01_11-30-54.jpeg

IMG_2016-11-01_11-30-31.jpeg

luna15

Lurker
Oct 31, 2016
Here are the photos:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/v0ccxjml11200vy/IMG_2016-11-01_11-30-54.jpeg
http://www.mediafire.com/view/y2qwybc6db0ebxb/IMG_2016-11-01_11-30-31.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.