PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
A while back, I posted about my grandfathers pipe...finally I found info on it, So, here's what I found about the pipe.
Links are...

NYLON

Pipedia National Briar Pipe Co.
USD179373_zpshmekocfz.png

Drysmoke_zpsaifmzvi9.jpg

My grandfathers (now mine)

0916151847-01_zpsmqethtta.jpg

So, National Briar Pipe Co. - Phillip D. Berenson likely made in the 60's (which was the rough estimate given to me of the purchase of mine.
If you have one please post pictures!

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
DuPont sure has its fingers in a lot of pies, doesn't it?
"The Greatest New Pipe Idea in 50 Years!"
To put THAT in perspective, Dunhill came up with sandblasting within that time frame.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
FURTHERMORE into the ties here....also working with National Briar Pipe Company....inventor of the Falcon :)
TURBO FLO

USD179116.png

Falcons own Kelly C Bugg
Just realized it's like 3am, gotta stop this for now. Otherwise we'll have a book on this type of pipe

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I seem to remember those nylon pipes on candy counters around town, back in the day.

Just think of all the things I could have collected from back since I was a lad, and had a big pile of....

well, at least I can still remember!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know the bowl is briar, but it is interesting that the pipe featuring nylon came from The National Briar Pipe people. The design of the shank is quite fetching, somewhat ahead of its time. I do love the $1.50 price, though that was long ago, maybe more like $25 now. Still a bargain. It's a great pipe to have. I don't think I'd ever seen one before, or if I did, I didn't pay close attention. Good to know about it.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
While mine may not have been briar, this one is advertised as such. Go eBay for the surprise history. Now we can certainly throw Wally Frank in the mix. I'm becoming the man with 1,000,000 newspaper clippings on his wall, thumbtacks everywhere with string linking all of them together....metaphorically of course.
Test%20Smoke%20Ad_zps7k0u1vly.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I've been wanting to buy them out. So save one for me! I want at least one nice one for the collection, sentiment plays a large factor here. Should definitely give one a go though, if anything excellent taster pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.