PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Greetings All,
I am hoping that Santa (well - Mrs Withnail) well be getting me one of Ian Walkers Northern Briar pipes for Christmas this year. I wonder if any of you out there have smoked one and if so what did you think?
Secondly - for those who celebrate Christmas, what pipe related goodies are you hoping to find under the tree this year?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
None haha, no one in my family supports the mind altering sickness called pipe collecting

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My girlfriend is probably gonna get me a pipe. I'm asking for a Savinelli Churchwarden gift set. The link is what I'm looking to get
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/itchsp.html

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
This is what I'm hoping for http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-bags-and-pouches/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=316 :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Actually I own several Northern Briars and I think they're outstanding pipes. Originally they tended to be in the more tradtional shapes, but carver Ian Walker has begun "branching out" in recent years by carving non-tradtional shapes (like the "sea urchin"), larger sizes, etc.
When Northern Briars first came to the US (probably 5 years ago or so), only the highest grades had handcut stems. Now I believe they all do. He has also recently started doing his own silverwork.
Personally I think Max Engle at Pipes2smoke.com has the best prices on Northern Briars. If you have the opportunity to get a Northern Briar, please don't let it pass by.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
I saw one of the Sea Urchins on Pipes2smoke a while ago and it (and the recent post) just made me want one so badly. They sure look (and I'm pretty sure smoke) like fantastic pipes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't have a sea urchin, but here's what I know...
The sea urchin shape was the brainchild of Bill Taylor, founder of Ashton pipes. Bill had a line of nontraditional shapes he called "Quaints"; some had celtic-like carvings, some were odd geometric shapes and some were shaped like sea creatures. Supposedly when Bill got tired of carving traditional shapes, he'd go outside onto his porch with a block and a dremmel and let his mind wander (this is the story I was told a few years ago at the Chicago show. If it's apocryphal, please don't tell me.)
Now Ian Walker of Northern Briars was friends with Bill, and upon seeing Bill's sea urchin shape, Ian said he'd like to take a try at it. Bill apparently had no problem so for a few years both Ian and Bill were producing sea urchins. Bill Taylor died about 3 years ago, and I've heard that Ian still produces sea urchins in memory of his late friend.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I commissioned a sea urchin, made with just the colors, stem material and size that I wanted. Ian hand delivered it to me from England this past weekend at the Las Vegas, West Coast Pipe Show. He is a soft spoken and skilled guy who lives and works on board his seventy foot canal boat in England.
I could not be more pleased with the pipe and am right in the middle of the first break-in bowl as I write this. I would not hesitate to get another pipe from Ian. This thing smokes great right out of the box and it looks marvelous!
urchin.jpg

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for your feedback and Christmas present wish lists - I really like that pipe carry case!
As for the Northern Briars, Ian Walkers work looks amazing! Although I am probably going to get a more traditional design. I have left the final choice to Mrs Withnail as any of them would be a most welcome addition to my collection.
As we live in the U.K. we'll be ordering it through the online retailer I usually use. I also love the fact that he works from his boat. Because a boat moored for more than 2 weeks is considered a permanent fixture (and becomes liable for various taxes like any other home) he has to move and make his way around the rivers and canals of Britain. Only 46 more days until Christmas!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have not smoked a Northern Briars pipe, but handled several at Main Street Cigars in Maryland. The fit & finish was impressive for that price range. It looks like you can just saunter over to Ians boat and get your pipe, but I can highly recommend pipes2smoke, Maxim is a fine gentleman. I really like this Regal Rhodesian that he has available.
YachtExplorers Sea Urchin is also a lovely piece.
IW_28.gif

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Ian Walker's pipes are great smokers. He also does his own sterling silver work and has some great looking silver bands as you can see in ssjones' pipe above. I highly recommend his pipes and treasure the ones that I smoke. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.