PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
These are the new pipes I purchased at the show (2 more sea creatures included)
Little Mermaid by Kjeld Sorensen "Red Hat"

mermaid.jpg

Bulldog Nosewarmer by Michael Parks

parksbull.jpg

Sea Urchin by Ian Walker of Northern Briars

I commissioned this one with a shorter shank and amberine stem.

Ian very kindly hand delivered it to me in Las Vegas, coming all the way from England.

Ian and his lovely bride, like Nancy and I, lives on his boat and also has his workshop on board.

urchin.jpg

Black Bamboo Pod by Peter Heeschen

phpod.jpg

==========================================================
The following pipes were traded for pipes of my own.

I think the trading and swapping is even more fun than the outright purchases.

Zulu by Castello (Fiammata - pre castle or "K"s)

castzulu.jpg

Snail by Rolando Negoita

rnsnail.jpg

Nosewarmer Dublin Poker by Scott Thielle

sthielle.jpg

Mushroom by Ph Vigen made for Bjarne Nielsen

bnvigen.jpg

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
I'm totally digging that "nosewarmer dublin poker" by Scott Thielle. The color scheme is just cool. The burgundy/redish bowl, stark white band and brown stem are right up my alley. Definitely jealous here :mrgreen:

chromenut

Lurker
Nov 8, 2011
Wow, so are you a millionaire? lol.. wish I could afford just one of those, they are beauties!

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Every last one an absolute stunner!
I wish more makers would catch on to using different, highly attactive, gorgeous stems instead of "plain black after-thoughts"

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wow, so are you a millionaire? lol.. wish I could afford just one of those, they are beauties!
Not hardly. I run a charter yacht and function as navigator, mechanic, plumber, electrician, fishing guide, naturalist and several other hats. My wife is the chef and we live on our boat. We have a great lifestyle but work very hard to earn a living.
As our work is seasonal, we are at it 16+ hour a day, seven days a week for five months out of the year. This gives me time to pursue my pipe hobby with both passion and concentration.
My collection has been built on revenue generated by restoring and reselling pipes over the past ten or more years, keeping the ones I really like and occasionally commissioning pieces from carvers. I like to support young, up and coming, talented pipe makers which gets me on board with them early enough to get their work at entry level prices before they get recognized and charge higher prices. I used to do the same with oriental rugs and ended up with a house full of the best ones all bought with profits and earnings from judicious buying and effective selling. When we moved on board the boat, I did divert some of the capital generated by selling off that collection into pipes.
No way I could ever have afforded to just outright buy all my pipes without earning them with an investment of knowledge, time and effort.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
That Mermaid is a real piece of naughty(cal) art, the urchin should fit you aquarium of pipes quite nicely. Great new pipes.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Love the look of that Bulldog as well as the Sea Urchin. In fact, my better half has promised me a Northern Briar pipe from Mr Walker for Christmas. I shall be like a small child, getting up at 4am on Christmas Day, ready to test it out! :clap:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
LOVE the blast on the Thielle.
Those are some outstanding photos, Skipper. What equipment do you use? I'd love to take photos like yours, but I'd probably have to use more than my camera phone.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
I use a Panasonic GH2 with a 45mm f2.8 1:1 macro lens. I shoot aperture priority at f11 or f16 on a tripod with remote shutter release, around .25 seconds exposure, ISO 160. lighting is done with a 100 watt halogen desk lamp.
Using an advanced point and shoot, similar conditions can be replicated suing macro mode and aperture priority...with a camera phone, not so much.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Yowsa, that be a Great haul. Like many I'm particularly attracted to the bulldog nose warmer, the urchin, and the Zulu. The urchin and the mermaid are real conversation starters. Wonderful haul

Status
Not open for further replies.