Non-Musician Musicians; What Do You Play?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know a number of Forums members are trained or self-trained musicians of

considerable accomplishment, but this question is for the rest of us. Among

people who do not consider themselves musicians, what instruments do you

play? I am most capable on the harmonica and can play a wide variety of

music, mostly old melodic stuff, one or two Bach fugues, Stephen Foster,

a few Beatles, a little Piaf, this and that, mostly very tune dependent. Can't

do creditable blues. I can accompany string band recordings and similar CDs

with a slide whistle, in a kind of wacky way. I can play rudimentary tunes on the

recorder. I'm trying to learn the coronet, but find the fingering of scales a real

obstacle. The slide whistle makes me wonder if the trombone would work.

Are you similarly non-musically inclined, and if so, what instrument do you play?

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I played Alto Sax up until 8th grade and drums for a few years after that. I don't play either any more. I mess around on my harmonica, but mainly I just enjoy singing either in the car or karaoke :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cajun Accordion, and not well , but it satisfies me , makes me think of my old Grandfather who played well,used to see him playing under the old China Ball tree , no shoes, slow dance the dust puffed slowly keeping time, Fast one it was a dust storm! LOL :puffy:

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I used to play clarinet and bassoon - now I occasionally pick up a recorder or tin flute, or one of the many ocarinas in my collection. My most used and prized one is a double ocarina (two mouthpieces and two fingering sets, so I can play harmonies). But mostly I just play my pipes (smoking, that is).

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I can play guitar to some degree. I'm by no means a pro. I do have a couple of cousins who are very good, one of them is actually a signed recording artist! You can find him on YouTube , his name is Tanner Clark. He's a contemporary Christian artist, and is just starting to really get off the ground. His best friend/boss is the lead guitar for a band called Calling Glory, as well as the VP of Knight Rifles.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well being self taught and enjoying bluegrass and Celtic music I play Guitar, Mandolin, and bit of fiddle ie do not torture the cat any longer however my wife is a different story. Some claw hammer banjo, Bohdran and tin whistle. I have my sights set on bagpipes but my wife says no way.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Well being self taught and enjoying bluegrass and Celtic music I play Guitar, Mandolin, and bit of fiddle ie do not torture the cat any longer however my wife is a different story. Some claw hammer banjo, Bohdran and tin whistle. I have my sights set on bagpipes but my wife says no way.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I play the electric Bass guitar. I tend to play along to songs that either have, or need, a bass line.
The bass guitar is a very humbling instrument, as every off note and miss fret is jarring and offensive.
~Zeke

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I fool around on the guitar. My brother, a professional musician who plays trumpet and guitar, taught me some basics. Life gets in the way of being able to play or practice much, though.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Can the professional musicians talk about what they play that isn't their career instrument?
I am working on getting my guitar chops up, and I have a harmonica (but I'm no good), and I try to keep up w/ 8th grade level trumpet and saxophone. I just ordered a super cheap cello off ebay....looking forward to fooling around with it!
I play harmonica and didgeridoo.
Didgeridoo is super BA.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Aside from guitar for 17 years now, I've also been playing the ocarina off and on for 8 years. It's very hard to be creative with.

carbz13

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2013
Played alto sax in school and actually inherited my great grandfathers sax that he played while he was in grade school.

Attempted to play the guitar for a bit.

Played the harmonica with my grandfather- I'd like to get one again to get back into it.

And now I'm messing around with the ukulele.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I got really into guitar in my late middle school to early high school years. I've got a cheapo package-deal guitar that I'm in love with just because it was my first and I've never quite found something that matches the excitement of getting that thing back in the day. I also saved up money for years and bought an expensive and beautiful ESP Ltd EC-1000. I was never really good but I loved it. Classic southern rock like Skynard, ZZ Top, and the Allman Brothers were my favorites to play. Just recently picked the guitars back up. I still suck but I'm hoping to take up lessons again because of the fun I get out of it.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
In terms of guitar and bass, I consider my self a musician.
But as a non-musician musician, I play, and have done some home recording with:
Didgeridoo, Bansuri (wooden flute), Tibetan Singing Bowls, Mountain Dulcimer, Cajon/Bongos/Djembe/assorted percussion, Harmonica, Ukulele, minature Steel Drum, and lots and lot of dollar store keyboards.
I try to collect all sorts of bizarre sound making devices. And I try to learn to do a little something with all of them.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Uke player for ten years (pretty good) and electric bass guitar (not as long but I love it).

Status
Not open for further replies.