PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordrid

Lurker
Apr 27, 2014
Hello.
I have a rather weird issue and was wondering if any one else has experienced this and or has a solution?.
I have just bought a pear wood pipe.. after three days of use it seems as if nicotine is seeping thru the bottom of the bowl and collecting on the out side bottom where my ring finger would naturally rest.
Thanks for any advice.
--------------------------

Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

Jan 8, 2013
I don't own a pear wood, so I'm not sure if I can answer your question. Although it definitely seems strange.
I'm going to point you to forum Rule #9 though. All of the words in your post title should be capitalized.

Aug 14, 2012
It happens on VERY well smoked briars. Moisture goes through the pipe in small amounts. If it bothers you get another pipe.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Something sounds wrong with the construction of the pipe. Anytime something burns, water vapor is a byproduct. This would be the byproduct, not nicotine. This should not be seeping from the bottom of the bowl.
I have and enjoy some pear wood pipes. I would not blame the pear wood.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is there a chemist in the house? I'd suspect, along with winton, that the liquid is mostly water, from combustion,

condensation, and maybe a little saliva. This might contain a trace of nicotine, but not a great concentration.

Any pipe that drains water off or out of the bottom of the bowl would be one I would trade off or discard. I have

many more pipes than I "need," and none of them do that.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I've had moisture problems with over-worked cobs to the point where I was able to put my figure through the bottom of the pipe even after letting the pipe rest of more than a month. That one I scraped for parts. Another I had to bolster by pulling out all the soggy bits and adding in a piece of hardwood dowl. I would suggest letting that pipe rest in a dry environment for a period of time and hopefully it will be serviceable again in the near future.
I have never had a pear wood pipe either so I'm not sure if this is something that happens but it doesn't sound right. I hope you have other pipes to fill in why that one takes a little vacation.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Some woods will wick moisture out in the softer light part of the grain - Is it the end grain that is leaking moisture?

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I'm just guessing here but it sounds like the bowl was hogged out very close to the bottom and maybe the grain of the wood is not as tight as the rest. I would not call it pithy but just pourous enough for that to happen.I have a Mr Brog pear wood squashed tomato that smokes dry an doesn't get much moisture at the bottom.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Sounds to me like it's simply a slight change in the finish (stain) caused by more heat occurring where you most often rest your finger. I've had the same thing happen, gradually, with briars as well, so I wouldn't blame the wood. On the other hand, if it's happening fast and dramatically, and if it feels at all wet or mushy, this could definitely be a problem with the wood and/or the way it's bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.