PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My first post ever. Just getting started (November). I purchased 5 th pipe and received it yesterday. Ropp Vintage Billiard Rusticated with horn stem. The stem is so tight I can’t quite get it to fit back in when removed. I’ve been lurking around a while and tried some pencil lead rubbing it on the tenon. It sort of worked, but not really. I don’t want to damage it by cranking on it constantly when cleaning. Any suggestions? Is very very light, like one “turn” with sandpaper a good idea?
Also, first smoke was great. Slow and try to keep it from getting too hot. Smoking Ye Olde Pipe & Tobacco Phoenix ,AZ house blend called My Blend
Thanks in advance, I’ve really enjoyed reading posts from all of you. Sitting learning how to enjoy my pipes and getting a solid smoking education.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Welcome! I’m sure others will have some ideas here, but my first thought was, how long has the stem been removed from the shank?

Did you take it apart to clean after your smoke and leave the pieces separate? If so, the wood contracted as it cooled and now your stem won’t fit.
Just my initial impression. Good luck.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
<p>Thanks Pianopuffer. The stem was tight right out of the box. I was inspecting it upon arrival. I tried the graphite prior to smoking, it sort of helped for one time insertion. It goes in 95% but still a gap and tight fit. I’ve read enough to know not to remove stem right after smoking. I’ve been a good student here

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think sanding the tenon is a measure of last resort. Try a thin film of olive oil, or some other lubricant that may be suggested here. Note that horn, as a material, will sand-down very quickly, and that's a hazardous route to take.
I had the idea of heating the shank with a hot air blower, and if that expanded the mortise sufficiently to seat the tenon, you might try rotating the stem continuously until it seems relatively free. Maybe an expert here can weight-in on this idea.
Alternatively, freeze the stem, and try "working" it as above.
Also, consider burnishing the tight spot on the tenon with a smooth metal tool.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks everyone. Now for the total newbie response... I tried it this morning and it slides in and out just fine. Snug,but not tight. It could be that what I think is cooled down is not quite cooled down enough? Hours not minutes to truly cool? I shall learn. Apologies for the newbieness!
Thanks, I'll slow down with the posts

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi, jttnk, post as much as you need to do so. Nobody's counting; however, you may want to search for other threads using woodsroad's custom search in the stickies. Works great in comparison to the useless search engines on most sites.
I'm not reading in the above that you only remove the stem when necessary because each time you do the tenon wears away; after a year or two of removing it regularly, it gets loose. You can still smoke the pipe but the stem twists easily.
I don't know if this appeals but I don't feel that dissembling and cleaning the pipe after every smoke is necessary. What does this do for the pipe that can't be done with the stem in place? I run a cleaner(s) through after every smoke until it comes clean, wipe the end of the stem and clean the rim.
Rusty on Christian Pipe Smokers makes the case that deep cleaning ought be done only when the chamber draft hole closes. Perhaps extreme but gets my vote as I'm lazy and would rather not do all that work. Rusty says further that deep cleaning destroys the taste of the pipe. I never found this to be the case when I did deep cleaning, but I've yet to have a pipe sour because it has not been so cleaned, which now runs to five years.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Salteplug, good advice. No reason to remove stems constantly. Deep cleaning with grain alcohol only when it gets clogged. That's going to take a while too. I rotate the 5 pipes and only smoke 4-5 bowls a week.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
you only remove the stem when necessary because each time you do the tenon wears away; after a year or two of removing it regularly, it gets loose.
I remove the stems to clean all the time, pipes that I purchased in the late seventies are still like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.