PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It seems every few days someone is shocked that Kaywoodie is not a drugstore pipe with a stinger. For years the company has made push tenon pipes, except for the tiny Campus line. Each pipe is hand made or finished by the President, a fourth generation pipe maker. Pipes start at about $35, the best line in many ways is Super Grain, for only $50. The Unique line is new at about $100, and the Handmade line is fully handmade and usually between $150 and $250. These are some of my favorite pipes. Here are the last few I picked up at the Holiday Party and slow smoke competition.
img_20181209_184018_505-600x600.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Bill has been making me one each of the four Canadian shapes, plus a billiard of similar stature because I really wanted to compare the shank and stems of these shapes back to back in similar size and finish from the same maker, for science. That's what three of these pictured are.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Very nice! I love my old estate kaywoodies, if the quality of the new ones are the same as the old ones then they should be a great pipe. I need to look into getting a new one to compare. I am seeing the estate kaywoodie's going for more and more money these days. Do the new ones have the option of the stinger? I am probably one of the few who likes the stinger and thinks it actually does the job that it was intended to do.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
jdhayes - The stinger is only on the Campus line. It is hard to decide which get it and which don't, so they were just discontinued. I have Kaaywoodie pipes dating from 1927 on through the major eras, and the brand new ones are very like the ones from the forties to me. I love them. They have fills or pits sometimes, and I am alright with that. So do the old ones.

Cosmic - I have a variation of the Rhodesian that you like, it is large and smokes amazingly. I have a number of naturals, too, looks like the Unique line in the top picture. These pipes tend on the large side, as that is what Bill likes making. The Super Grain, Drinkless, and Standard tend to be less massive, but it is all preference.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the info and link. Too bad they currently have only the one Super Grain. I'll keep checking for new ones.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the new pipe smokers may not know that Kaywoodie used to be the Cadillac pipe, priced above the Dunhill. They still make a good pipe. Even some of the old stock Drinkless series with the screw-in-stem-stinger are good smokers, and the newer push-stem pipes are mostly good, though some are quite small. You do have to work at finding them, since most retailers have only intermittent inventory of Kaywoodies.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Never bought one of Bill's because of the large sizes. Would love to have a 59 POY to match my 1930's but. Thanks for mentioning the smaller lines ,Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.