Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I know there is already a thread running here, but I didn't want this to get lost in a forest of ranting posts.
The OP in the other thread just did a copy / paste of a small part of an article in the New York Times, without attribution, or a link to the full article.
Here it is:

F.D.A. Will Propose New Regulations for E-Cigarettes
It is colossally annoying to read imbecilic statements such as; "You won't be able to mix nicotine in your bathtub and sell it anymore," said David B. Abrams, executive director of the Schroeder National Institute for Tobacco Research and Policy Studies at the Legacy Foundation, an antismoking research group. ...
As if anyone ever did that, but some people will believe this is happening because he said it.
It is also curious that the NYT article said "But the new blueprint was also notable for what it did not contain: any proposal to ban flavors ..."
When flavor bans happen, then pipe tobacco will have some major issues.
Here is a PDF with the full text of the proposed regulations where they talk quite a bit about how bad flavorings are.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2014-09491.pdf
I just scanned parts of this as it's quite lengthy. There's lots of stuff in there that is quite over-exaggerated with tons of "save the children" rhetoric and completely made-up "leading cause of death" crapola too - as usual, as well as the "it leads to other bad stuff" - parts of this remind me about how, when in school, we were told that smoking pot would eventually lead us to become heroin addicts.
It also proves that they have zero clue about what pipe smoking is actually about for readers and members of this site.
Brian and I don't have time to analyze all of this in time for tonight's radio show, but Brian will discuss it on next week's (May 1st) show.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Also looking forward to hearing the pov on the radio podcast. Without getting political, the rhetoric is all too similar to the infringements taking place concerning the 2A. Pull on your big boy pants folks, it's going to be a protracted, uphill battle as it always has been.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
They'll have to pry the pipe from my cold clenched jaw.

worst_holmes_heston_crucifer_of_blood.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Kevin, all my joking and ranting aside, I appreciate you guys taking time to address this issue. I am sure a lot of us do. These things affect us all as a community.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Thanks kevin for exposing the f.d.a. for what they are.I read the article earlier today it got sent to me by email.None of there reasons for the actual ban makes any sense.They dont make a strong point at all.Wondering what the real reason for the proposal is.If you know the f.d.a theres probably a hidden agenda behind it.I find it funny that marijuana is legal with a card and i dont see the feds fighting that.(Nothing against marijuana please note).But vaping or e-cigs is.It seems like the attack is on all angles in the tobacco field taxes pipe tobacco now e-cigs.IM sure in do time we will find out the true reason behind there attacks on us tobacco/nicotine lovers.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Kevin, thanks for the heads up and all the info. Looks as if maybe us aromatic smokers should be stocking up on our reserves. Pipetraveler

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I have a strong problem with this quote:
The first nationally representative study (derived from more than 4,000 young adults

aged 18 to 34) to examine the prevalence of the use of flavored tobacco products following the

2009 FDA flavor ban in cigarettes found that 20 percent of tobacco users in the study currently

use a flavored tobacco product (Ref.17). The most common flavored products include flavored

pipe tobacco, little cigars, and hookah tobacco (id.).
My problem is that this is a perfect example of the government using a supposed (only 4,000 people) correlation to justify cause and effect, while refusing to analyze alternative reasoning. I know plenty of 18-34 year olds who are not actually using "flavored tobaccos" as we as pipe smokers do but rather merely as a wrapper for a blunt. It amazes me how poorly such an important proposal can be written.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Or here is another example, (sorry i do not mean to be spamming this feed but it is infuriating to go through this):
Pipe tobacco consumption during this period increased 482.1 percent, and

consumption of large cigars increased 233.1 percent (id.). This research suggests that recent

changes in consumption of non-cigarette combustible products, particularly increases in large

cigar and pipe tobacco use, are associated with a decline in cigarette consumption, and indicate

that certain cigarette smokers may switch to non-cigarette combustible products (id. at 567).

While researchers posited that this change in prevalence rates is likely due to the lower taxes

(and ultimately lower cost to the consumer) (id. at 566), the lack of regulation over certain

tobacco products may be a contributing factor. Without a common regulatory framework,

tobacco firms can exploit differences in regulatory requirements to drive consumers to different

product markets.
These yahoos at the FDA automatically assume that everyone has an ulterior motive and are just trying to do "bad" things. This proposal completely fails to consider the fact that people may actually be switching from cigarettes to pipes or cigars for personal preference, or even health considerations. I do not deny that many people are simply buying "pipe tobacco" and rolling their own cigarettes but that is not all that this quote is saying.

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Sounds like somebodys bucking for a promotion. I bet it's that pederast Hanerhan...
Figured the quote fit.
In all seriousness they will have so much trouble defining what is and what isn't "flavored" that it'll be too broad a scope to be passed outright. Think about how much WE argue over what is and is not an aromatic blend, these aholes won't have a clue what they're looking at coming from the outside...

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Oh, don't worry guys the FDA doesn't think that many of the increased manufacturer costs will be passed on to the consumer:
The majority of the compliance costs of this proposed rule are fixed, but a portion of the

costs are variable. The costs imposed will be borne primarily by manufacturers and importers;

some of the costs will be passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices. The average

increase in the price of proposed deemed tobacco products, however, would be very small

relative to current prices.
This is obviously the case since most pipe tobacco manufacturers are big companies that can just eat the cost of hours and hours of new paperwork and new labeling requirements...

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
sounds like the days of bo and luke duke running liqueur and people making there own in there basements is coming to tobacco. Didnt anyone learn you cant ban this stuff or even slow it down. people will continue to smoke and drink no matter what the government does. when the taxes get so high that no one can buy the stuff they be buying heat lamps and fertilizer and growing it in there basements so the government cant tax it.

flapomalley

Lurker
Feb 8, 2014
Pipe tobacco consumption up 482.1 percent. Largo, Red Cap, Tin Star pipe tobacco. All good for nothing but rolling cigarettes. I smoked a lot of it until switching solely to a pipe this year. The store owner even told me "It's cigarette tobacco, they just say it's pipe tobacco 'cuz of taxes".

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Little FYI. I'm not sure how many know it as I just found out. I work at a cigar/pipe shop and they are going to start selling e-cigs. On one brand of e-juice they have 4 strengths of nicotine content.

24mg/18mg/9mg and 0mg

So, whats the point of puffing vapor for just some fruity flavor? No wonder the FDA is on the hunt.

Really?

May 25, 2013
Does anybody have a plan of action to fight this? It feels like the government has nothing better to do than beat its people down these days and I fear I will be old before I'm 30 from all of the stress that they cause. It's ridiculous, but I know that someone has to do it, and if I don't see the hands raising in my area, I just might be that person for now; but I have no idea where to start, and its quite frustrating not having a plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.